ATLANTA ---- RACE thread

Gordon, Edwards have discussion after race:
#24-Jeff Gordon and #99-Carl Edwards didn't expect each other to drive the way they did Sunday night, and both seemed flabbergasted by the other's explanation of their near-crashes at Atlanta Motor Speedway. The two drivers spoke for about five minutes shortly after the race before Gordon walked away. They spoke again briefly in the driver motorhome lot about 15 minutes later and shook hands. While Edwards made a point to say he didn't think the hard feelings would linger, it was obvious that both weren't satisfied with at least the initial discussion. Early in the race, Gordon slid in front of Edwards for position. Edwards and Gordon were later battling side by side and made contact.
"I really felt like he was looking for another excuse to be mad at me," Edwards said. "And I don't understand it. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. That's out of character. We don't have these kind of problems. So we'll just move on and hopefully laugh about it when we're both in the Chase."
Gordon thought Edwards' reaction to the initial slide-job was out of character. "I've never seen him drive me like that," Gordon said. "It was pretty wild. He didn't like that I slid him early in the race. We went into (Turn) 1 and he took my line away to keep me behind him and I was a lot better than him and I just dove inside.(Sporting News)(9-2-2013)

From Jayski

Gordon, Edwards have discussion after race: #24-Jeff Gordon and #99-Carl Edwards didn't expect each other to drive the way they did Sunday night, and both seemed flabbergasted by the other's explanation of their near-crashes at Atlanta Motor Speedway. The two drivers spoke for about five minutes shortly after the race before Gordon walked away. They spoke again briefly in the driver motorhome lot about 15 minutes later and shook hands. While Edwards made a point to say he didn't think the hard feelings would linger, it was obvious that both weren't satisfied with at least the initial discussion. Early in the race, Gordon slid in front of Edwards for position. Edwards and Gordon were later battling side by side and made contact.
"I really felt like he was looking for another excuse to be mad at me," Edwards said. "And I don't understand it. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. That's out of character. We don't have these kind of problems. So we'll just move on and hopefully laugh about it when we're both in the Chase."
Gordon thought Edwards' reaction to the initial slide-job was out of character. "I've never seen him drive me like that," Gordon said. "It was pretty wild. He didn't like that I slid him early in the race. We went into (Turn) 1 and he took my line away to keep me behind him and I was a lot better than him and I just dove inside.(Sporting News)(9-2-2013)

From Jayski

Edwards is almost scary when he goes off with that "and I don't understand it" crap when he's been known to wreck guys even on the high-speed tracks.

psychotic I tell ya . . .

Dun, ya gotta trivia question for dat udder tread ?

There should not be any type of discort between these two guys. I felt like Gordon's slide job was far more risky then what Carl did.

Anyway, I hope they leave this at Atlanta. Each guy got in a punch so its all even in my book.

You just don't want pyscho carl taking out old man Gordon at Richmond with chase spot on the line :p

I think Gordon gets a top 5 at Richmond and squeaks into the Chase for the second year in a row. Hopefully this time he'll actually contend for the title though.

I think Gordon gets a top 5 at Richmond and squeaks into the Chase for the second year in a row. Hopefully this time he'll actually contend for the title though.

A top five would get him in most likely if he finishes in front of Kahne, and Kurt has an outside the top ten finish..

Gordon, Edwards have discussion after race: #24-Jeff Gordon and #99-Carl Edwards didn't expect each other to drive the way they did Sunday night, and both seemed flabbergasted by the other's explanation of their near-crashes at Atlanta Motor Speedway. The two drivers spoke for about five minutes shortly after the race before Gordon walked away. They spoke again briefly in the driver motorhome lot about 15 minutes later and shook hands. While Edwards made a point to say he didn't think the hard feelings would linger, it was obvious that both weren't satisfied with at least the initial discussion. Early in the race, Gordon slid in front of Edwards for position. Edwards and Gordon were later battling side by side and made contact.

From Jayski
Both deals just seemed like hard racing.. Nice to see they handled it like gentlemen. didn't see the 99 or 24 wrecking each under caution, didnt see each other charging the pits pretending to want to fight, Did'nt see Ingrid slapping Carl like Max Papis... If you got beef, talk it out (or slug it out) and move on

BTKP0oECEAEJKOH.jpg

"After all" says it all - till then he was flying past the other cars.
He wasn't "flying by them". It took him 2 laps to finally clear Harvick. You know each car you pass, the one infront of it is faster? Takes more time to pass each one. Gordon had about a 5th place car. He fought to 6th from 16 in 20 laps. Time just ran out - still a great call though. Without it I promise you he woulda finished in the teens and then you'd really see some bitching & moaning.

True, but buddy said they didn't have the "driver" to finish it... the crew lost him the spots... the "driver".. would have got it done if they didn't lose those spots...

Logano over came his crews mistakes, but lost the lead when Kurt blocked him in his pit for the second time. He came out 3rd, and that set him up for Truex taking him 3 wide and losing spots when Kyle spun his tires. I think if Logano already had a chase spot locked up, he would have pushed Kyle or jumped to the inside and taken the lead. Joey did the smart thing and backed off to avoid being wrecked.

I'm sure he'll remember Kurts games, and perhaps race Truex the same way in the chase. It would be an amazing story if Penske wins again with someone else's released driver.

Logano got beat, fair and square. He was no more a victim than any other driver, from what I watched.

Gotta hand it to Truex Jr. for being so resilient and making it through at 3rd with that injury and the cast... melting? lol

lol.

what Kurt did 3 or more times was 100% intentional.

Do you remember KuBu complaining early on that Logano was blocking him out of his pit?

If the #78 was in his pitbox, he's completely within the rules.

Glad the M&M's car got another win, i'm glad there weren't more laps left. Kyle can thank Kurt for holding Joey up a few laps...

None of that changes the validity of my reply to your comment, does it?

No it doesn't. However, it's not like Logano is the innocent victim as he often portrayed. He was blocking the #78 out of his pit so I suppose the #78 decided to block him IN his..

No it doesn't. However, it's not like Logano is the innocent victim as he often portrayed. He was blocking the #78 out of his pit so I suppose the #78 decided to block him IN his..

...as long as we are past the 'fair and square' thing, which is what I was addressing in the first place.

Was Kurt in pit #1?

No, he wasn't. The pole winner, Stenhouse, had #1, KuBu #2 and Logano #3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Race winner could have been better for me, I had Harvick and Kurt. As usual Kurt's pit slowed him down in the prep and pit work, and he overdrove the car to a good finish. haven't seen a driver in cup in years pass as many leading caliber cars as he did in one swell poop. Harvick had the car, but lost it the last couple of stops. Really good track to race on, but terrible for restarts in the top grove. 7

Scanner Chatter
Carl Edwards spotter Jason Hedlesky after Jeff Gordon used a slide-job to cut off Edwards: “Good job, way to play it smart.”

Edwards: “What the heck was that?”

Hedlesky: “I guess he was racing (the dirt track at) Eldora or something.”

Later in the race, after the two had contact as they raced each other hard:

Gordon: “Ask the (expletive) 99 (of Edwards) what his problem is.”

Crew chief Alan Gustafson: “Don’t worry about it. Keep racing hard. You’re doing an awesome job, man.”

Gordon: “Explain to that dumb (expletive) who the (expletive) he thinks he is, man, that pissed me off right there.”

Jeff Gordon after contact with Matt Kenseth: “I was not doing great but I was doing OK until the damn 20 hit me.”

Spotter Eddie D’Hondt: “You did a good job.”

Gordon: “Find NASCAR to really keep an eye out on what’s going on on these restarts. The worse it is for the front guys, the more these other guys are going to lay back and get big runs and it’s just going to screw the whole thing up.”

Denny Hamlin, upset that NASCAR gave him a pass-through and then a stop-and-go penalty when the actual penalty is to be held one lap. He also was frustrated with Kyle Busch:

Hamlin on Busch and then the official: “This is (expletive) unbelievable. I should rip his stupid (expletive) ass. … That official is a (expletive) moron. He just cost us an extra lap.”

Crew chief Darian Grubb: “They’re saying the first one should have been a one-lap penalty, they were supposed to hold you in the box to put you one lap, get their lap back, which put you two down.”

Hamlin: “That’s a bunch of (expletive). They’re just making (expletive) to make him look like not a (expletive) moron.”

Grubb: “10-4 bud. I certainly agree with it and I argued the hell out of it.”

Hamlin: “We’ll come back and win this race (expletive) tick everyone us. And tell Kyle that if he (expletive) let me go, he’d learn how to drive this track and not be an idiot. … NASCAR owes me a caution for dumb-ass (expletive).”

Brad Keselowski amid his struggles: “Piece of (expletive) aero-pushing racecars. Can’t (expletive) do anything.”

Spotter Joey Meier: “You’re doing a good job. Keep working here.”

Keselowski: “I (get that for) trying to make a pass instead of running in the parade like everybody else does.”

Clint Bowyer: “Blowing up boys. I can smell it now.”

Crew Chief Brian Pattie: “Shut it off Clint so we can check this (expletive) thing out.”

Bowyer: “I did. Son of a (expletive). Damn. It was our night there. Sorry guys.”

Postrace Twitter:
“Found a perfect song for tonight, and it goes something like this.....one bourbon.....one scotch.......and one beer! Any takers???”

Clint Bowyer (@ClintBowyer) after his race was cut short by engine failure

“And sometimes, that's just racin! Learn from it, build on it, become stronger...”

Brad Keselowski (@keselowski) after engine blew

“I'm really proud of the work the 14 team did to keep us in the race. Lots of damage to the car on that restart jam up. Our luck will change.”

Mark Martin (@markmartin) after a rough day in a substitute role for Tony Stewart

“And by the way @JimmieJohnson is a great driver and a great person. Stuff happens sometimes. On to Richmond”

Jeff Burton (@RCR31JeffBurton) after Jimmie Johnson had contact with him as Burton attempted to pit

And here’s some of Max Papis (@MaxPapis) from Monday morning following the slap of Mike Skeen’s girlfriend that dislocated his jaw:

“Just to make ull laugh #6 driver was such a chicken when I stop on his side ask to come out of car he lowered down his visor,#NOMAN”

“And by the way yes my jaw was dislocated and had to go to Get fixed but NO COMPLAIN here just FYI”

“And by the way .... Even if she deserved I will not hit a Lady and it was just between 2 racers not between me and him no other that is it”

Denny saying Kyle doesn't know how to drive Atlanta, priceless. He epitomizes the phrase "a legend in his own mind".

Scanner Chatter
Carl Edwards spotter Jason Hedlesky after Jeff Gordon used a slide-job to cut off Edwards: “Good job, way to play it smart.”

Crew chief Alan Gustafson: “Don’t worry about it. Keep racing hard. You’re doing an awesome job, man.”

Gordon: “Explain to that dumb (expletive) who the (expletive) he thinks he is, man, that pissed me off right there.”

Jeff Gordon after contact with Matt Kenseth: “I was not doing great but I was doing OK until the damn 20 hit me.”

Gordon: “Find NASCAR to really keep an eye out on what’s going on on these restarts. The worse it is for the front guys, the more these other guys are going to lay back and get big runs and it’s just going to screw the whole thing up.”

Denny Hamlin, upset that NASCAR gave him a pass-through and then a stop-and-go penalty when the actual penalty is to be held one lap. He also was frustrated with Kyle Busch:

Hamlin on Busch and then the official: “This is (expletive) unbelievable. I should rip his stupid (expletive) ass. … That official is a (expletive) moron. He just cost us an extra lap.”

Crew chief Darian Grubb: “They’re saying the first one should have been a one-lap penalty, they were supposed to hold you in the box to put you one lap, get their lap back, which put you two down.”

Hamlin: “That’s a bunch of (expletive). They’re just making (expletive) to make him look like not a (expletive) moron.”

Hamlin: “We’ll come back and win this race (expletive) tick everyone us. And tell Kyle that if he (expletive) let me go, he’d learn how to drive this track and not be an idiot. … NASCAR owes me a caution for dumb-ass (expletive).”

Brad Keselowski amid his struggles: “Piece of (expletive) aero-pushing racecars. Can’t (expletive) do anything.”

Keselowski: “I (get that for) trying to make a pass instead of running in the parade like everybody else does.”

Crew Chief Brian Pattie: “Shut it off Clint so we can check this (expletive) thing out.”

Bowyer: “I did. Son of a (expletive). Damn. It was our night there. Sorry guys.”

Postrace Twitter:
“Found a perfect song for tonight, and it goes something like this.....one bourbon.....one scotch.......and one beer! Any takers???”

“And sometimes, that's just racin! Learn from it, build on it, become stronger...”

“I'm really proud of the work the 14 team did to keep us in the race. Lots of damage to the car on that restart jam up. Our luck will change.”

Mark Martin (@markmartin) after a rough day in a substitute role for Tony Stewart

“And by the way @JimmieJohnson is a great driver and a great person. Stuff happens sometimes. On to Richmond”

Jeff Burton (@RCR31JeffBurton) after Jimmie Johnson had contact with him as Burton attempted to pit

And here’s some of Max Papis (@MaxPapis) from Monday morning following the slap of Mike Skeen’s girlfriend that dislocated his jaw:

“Just to make ull laugh #6 driver was such a chicken when I stop on his side ask to come out of car he lowered down his visor,#NOMAN”

“And by the way yes my jaw was dislocated and had to go to Get fixed but NO COMPLAIN here just FYI”

“And by the way .... Even if she deserved I will not hit a Lady and it was just between 2 racers not between me and him no other that is it”

I wish the nascar media would bring this type of chatter to light more. Make news about how the drivers really think. Oh and if I were Max I'd press charges ask Skeen's girlfriend. Let her rot in jail for 30 days of so.

Scanner Chatter

Postrace Twitter:

Did anyone bother to let Denny know that Kyle suddenly learned how to drive that track?

Back
Top Bottom