Attending Martinsville Race Sunday

DIDIT

Old School Fan
Where is the best place to park when going to Martinsville? I like to have access to the truck for a little tailgating, but I also like to walk around before the race to see all the displays. I just saw where they close the lots on speedway property for up to 45 minutes after the race. How does that affect leaving? Should I expect to wait several hours after the race to head back out?

Also, what is the appropriate number of hot dogs to eat?

I think Martinsville actually has the best parking situation on the circuit. Just pull into the main entrance on the front stretch (off rt 220 I believe)....there's plenty of free parking on the grass (right on the property), parking guides will direct you into a spot (though I would get there a bit early just in case). You can tailgate at your car, and it's a real easy walk to the midway located right when you come out of turn 4. In fact you'll most likely be able to see the midway from your car. Martinsville is such an A+ experience from start to finish.

Here's a map. See all that grass right when you come in off 220...there's a black square 1, 2, 3, 16 etc...I'm 99% sure that's all free parking (unless it's changed, which would have to have been VERY recently). First come, first serve so get there early. As you can see from the map - you're right in the mix there.

Attachments

• Martinsville-Speedway-Facility-Map.jpg
    Martinsville-Speedway-Facility-Map.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 2,063
So it sounds like since I am coming from the east it is better to loop around to the north and then come down south on 220. When I looked at the directions they track provides from Danville it looks like I would be somewhere outside the backstretch fairly far from the midway and I really didn't like that.

I'll report back on how many hot dogs I can get down.

Here's a map. See all that grass right when you come in off 220...there's a black square 1, 2, 3, 16 etc...I'm 99% sure that's all free parking (unless it's changed, which would have to have been VERY recently). First come, first serve so get there early. As you can see from the map - you're right in the mix there.
You're right, Parking is free.

Bowtie 3, I hope you enjoy the race. Maybe even post a pic or two of your experience. A lot of us haven't been to Martinsville and would love to enjoy it vicariously. Have fun!

Bowtie 3, I hope you enjoy the race. Maybe even post a pic or two of your experience. A lot of us haven't been to Martinsville and would love to enjoy it vicariously. Have fun!
I definitely will. I'll post some pics. Martinsville is great.

Well, today I cruised down 220 went into the track, they directed me around the track and the next thing I knew I was on the south side. Since I was familiar with that area from the fall race I just went ahead and parked outside turn 2/1. I am hoping somehow tomorrow I end up along 220 in one of the parking lots outside turn 4. It looked to me that now you have to have a special permit to get into this area. This is one of my beefs with Nascar, in that if you don't pay big bucks they really don't caer about you.

Your beef isn't with NASCAR. Parking is handled by the individual tracks.

Also, some tracks handle parking differently on Saturday, based on the open grandstands.

Not sure I agree Charlie, I see a lot of "priority" parking these days that are part of special ticket packages and quite often those lots are not very full.

Yeah, I meant the unreserved lots. Those priority lots are usually marked out a few days before the race weekend. I've seen some of the ones for us unwashed masses closed on Saturday so they don't have to hire people to work those lots.

If they start to route me where I don't want to go, I'll ask how to get to where I want to be. That may take turning around, completely leaving the property, and taking another shot at it.

I hope you have better luck today.

Not sure I agree Charlie, I see a lot of "priority" parking these days that are part of special ticket packages and quite often those lots are not very full.
It costs nothing to park on the north side. Been doing it every since we started going there many years ago. Come in from the north and take a left onto Industrial Park Drive, then right onto Clover Road. All of the area that will be on your right will be free parking outside turns #3 & #4. Right where all the displays are.

If you come in from the south, stay in the left lane and drive past the speedway. After going beyond the speedway, turn around and head south, back to the speedway and stay in the left lane. Take the same directions as above.

Once your turn onto Industrial Park Drive, then right onto Clover Road, stay in the right hand lanes. There will be at least three openings on your right that you can enter into the free lot. It takes several hours for that lot to fill. Once it does, you're at the mercy of the traffic directors.

Martinsville isn't that bad leaving anymore. It was bad when the track had almost 100,000 attendees.

Especially since it's never had seats for more than 60,000 or so. :blink:
You are dead wrong. We clocked in at over 90,000 one year. I know they've removed some seats. People that is, not seats, so there had to be well over 60,000 seats.

I'm trying to find the attendance. Sometime in the 90's there was around high 80,000 to low 90,000 at the track.

I'll do another write up about my great experience at Martinsville this weekend. In regards to parking, on Sunday I came down from the North on 220, tried to get in the parking lots at the speedway and we could not turn left and they kept directing us further south past the track. I was following a number of others and they all made a U-turn and came up from the north so I followed. Eventually we got to an entry road, that was not marked for parking or anyone directing us into it, we then followed it past the lots I wanted to be in, the up and around and finally we made it. Three girls in a jeep in front of me asked for directions three times during this looping process. Fortunately it was early in the morning and traffic was flowing nicely. I think there is a little room for improvement here. Leaving was a piece of cake, since I waited several hours and watched all the haulers leave.

I am going to have to think long and hard about elevating this track to my favorite track. I really like this place.

I'll do another write up about my great experience at Martinsville this weekend. In regards to parking, on Sunday I came down from the North on 220, tried to get in the parking lots at the speedway and we could not turn left and they kept directing us further south past the track. I was following a number of others and they all made a U-turn and came up from the north so I followed. Eventually we got to an entry road, that was not marked for parking or anyone directing us into it, we then followed it past the lots I wanted to be in, the up and around and finally we made it. Three girls in a jeep in front of me asked for directions three times during this looping process. Fortunately it was early in the morning and traffic was flowing nicely. I think there is a little room for improvement here. Leaving was a piece of cake, since I waited several hours and watched all the haulers leave.

I am going to have to think long and hard about elevating this track to my favorite track. I really like this place.

I thought state police did a better job this weekend than I've seen in the past. There were some issues for me getting in but that had to deal with the locals being on the road.

If you were coming in from the north, they were probably directing you to turn in at the industrial park, which does go to the track.

Back
Top Bottom