Austin Dillion Fan Favorite?

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
1. Dillon's status as a fan favorite
Does he need to be? Some brash drivers find their fan base with age. Just ask Darrell Waltrip.

But Dillon might never reach that point. Consider his answer when asked about the contact with Aric Almirola on the final lap, where he sent Almirola spinning:

"I guess I could have lifted and gave it to him," Dillon said. "I guess that was my other option, give up a Daytona 500 ring that I'm wearing. I don't know, I'm glad he's not mad.

"If he needs to do it to me at Talladega for everybody to feel good, I've got a Daytona 500 championship trophy, ring, whatever, I don't care. I've got the [car No.] 3 back in Victory Lane at Daytona. It feels pretty good."

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/s...in-dillon-kyle-busch-tires-yellow-line-debate

Dillon is what Dillon is, and he did what he did. There isn't anybody with half a brain that doesn't understand it isn't what he did, it's who he is. Dependent upon the driver this ranges from justified to subject to the death penalty. I never thought for a single second that he did anything wrong.

The media is doing their part to make him a hero even though he is a mediocre driver, at best. I don't expect him to be a consistent top ten driver on real tracks.

They are trying to do that. As angry as the mouthpieces on NASCAR radio have been to the fan's reaction for the last day and a half it ain't working.

The media is doing their part to make him a hero even though he is a mediocre driver, at best. I don't expect him to be a consistent top ten driver on real tracks.
I'm thinking the same thing, he gets a week of fame and if will fade to his performance record of two wins in 8 years. He will get mostly courtesy mentions in the races to come. This quote sounds like it comes from a guy who knows how bad he really is: "If he needs to do it to me at Talladega for everybody to feel good, I've got a Daytona 500 championship trophy, ring, whatever, I don't care."

Hmmm...I didn't care for what he did. Loosening Aric up, yep. turning him into the wall at race speed on a super speedway, Nope. Probably hard to administer a "bump and run" at a plate track. But I don't care for crashing somebody for a win. Doesn't matter what race it is either. I'd hate to see the same thing at Talladega, because the mentality might set in that it's ok to crash anyone, anytime for a win. If we can do it at the most dangerous venues, then no one will be harmed if we do it everywhere. Not going in a good direction, in my opinion.

Having a mic on Austin Dillion isn't a good thing most anytime. He doesn't get many chances IS a good thing. The I did it, I did it on purpose so what, doesn't set well with me either.

I think a better question is does Dillon care if he is fan favourite?

The 2 word answer is HELL NO.

It's hard to be a villain or a hero when you have ten Top 5s over 4+ years of Cup starts under your belt. My guess, Austin will be fairly anonymous the rest of the regular season, someone will call him an underdog or darkhorse going into the playoffs, and he'll be gone by the round of twelve anyways.

I think a better question is does Dillon care if he is fan favourite?

The 2 word answer is HELL NO.

Oh I think he's quite self conscious and wants to be liked. Paul Menard is a rich guy who inherited his position and doesn't make any effort to be Mr. Popular. Of course he is at the far end of the spectrum, and is indistinguishable from a cardboard cutout. But that's a guy who truly doesn't care.

Austin has tried pretty hard to craft himself a likable image. Maybe he will be better off playing a black hat, but one actually has to have charisma to do that, and staying power. We'll see.

It's hard to be a villain or a hero when you have ten Top 5s over 4+ years of Cup starts under your belt. My guess, Austin will be fairly anonymous the rest of the regular season, someone will call him an underdog or darkhorse going into the playoffs, and he'll be gone by the round of twelve anyways.

I think RCR continues to get better after downsizing, I think it only helps them. I think Dillon will continue to improve because he was quick last year and continues to show some progress.

Record scratch, hold up I'm thinking of '16. Yeah, I thought Austin was still trending up showing progress. Major brain Fart... Lol.

Oh I think he's quite self conscious and wants to be liked. Paul Menard is a rich guy who inherited his position and doesn't make any effort to be Mr. Popular. Of course he is at the far end of the spectrum, and is indistinguishable from a cardboard cutout. But that's a guy who truly doesn't care.

Austin has tried pretty hard to craft himself a likable image. Maybe he will be better off playing a black hat, but one actually has to have charisma to do that, and staying power. We'll see.

Ya know, to me it's kind of a sad day when a driver has to "craft" an "image" for himself. Whatever happened to just being who you are? I understand being conscientious about your behavior. But to spend time trying to figure how to make people notice or like you? That's what politicians do. And I ain't too fond of politicians. In Austins case, he should just be himself. A silver spooner that wouldn't have a snowballs chance at a Cup ride if it weren't for grandpa. Or Xfinity, or trucks, local late model, bomber class.....

I will take your word about the image crafting stuff as l don't know anything about it. I didn't see the last 2 stages in the race but my guess is that the incident will be forgotten about after Atlanta. If Dillon wants to be liked that is fine as long as it is a distant second to being effective

I think Austin is a better driver than people here give credit for, but he did (and 27) suck last year.

I think Austin is a better driver than people here give credit for, but he did (and 27) suck last year.
one way to tell is if Menard does better in a Wood brothers car. Not a super definite comparison, but I don't think Dillion is that good, he's like a Sadler, needs to be down a notch IMO.

He is a decent driver, there are worse drivers.
But this is the guy that does them afflicted head first slides.
Has to wear a Stetson, he would probably wear chaps if Papa gave him the nod.
Gets as ass tattoo.
Is sensitive about being called silver spoon.
I wonder why?

Coming out as a Bee Gees disco fan is the only thing left for him. In the quest to become a more superficial repellant.

Dillon will never be a Dale Earnhardt. And I could never imagine Dale doing one of those stupid belly slides in the infield. But I think if you were looking at the younger generation drivers, Dillon would be pretty low on the list. Blaney, Elliot, Byron, Larson, and even some of the xfinity up and coming drivers in my opinion have more talent. It's just sad that Grandpa wanted to bring back that No.3 and give it to a low talent driver. And as far as the 500, one thing I do like about it is that it gives those with less talent a chance to win one, though i hate to see a low talent driver cowardly take out one who was driving his arse off to win. But maybe Dale would have done the same, but I think he would have had enough talent he wouldn't have had to.

He could always pull a Joey Logano and salvage his career somehow but given that Richard Childress Racing has been a mediocre team for almost 20 years now, I dont see that ever happening.

He could always pull a Joey Logano and salvage his career somehow but given that Richard Childress Racing has been a mediocre team for almost 20 years now, I dont see that ever happening.

You almost wonder what Harvick could've been if he had jumped into Hendrick or Roush equipment in 2001

You almost wonder what Harvick could've been if he had jumped into Hendrick or Roush equipment in 2001

Dont get me wrong, a young Harvick would have taken that deal any day---as any of us would have. But there is no doubt he stayed too long there. Would have been on Jimmie and Jeff and even Tony level of eliteness sooner.

Dont get me wrong, a young Harvick would have taken that deal any day---as any of us would have. But there is no doubt he stayed too long there. Would have been on Jimmie and Jeff and even Tony level of eliteness sooner.

I like to imagine a world where Kevin Harvick hops into the #25 after Nadeau leaves. Harvick and Johnson as the young guns in Hendrick equipment giving Jeff Gordon fits is a great alternate reality.

Hmmm...I didn't care for what he did. Loosening Aric up, yep. turning him into the wall at race speed on a super speedway, Nope. Probably hard to administer a "bump and run" at a plate track. But I don't care for crashing somebody for a win. Doesn't matter what race it is either. I'd hate to see the same thing at Talladega, because the mentality might set in that it's ok to crash anyone, anytime for a win. If we can do it at the most dangerous venues, then no one will be harmed if we do it everywhere. Not going in a good direction, in my opinion.
This is the reason I hated Dale Sr. for 20 years. He'd dump someone just for the win.

Fan favorite, I dont know about that, I think it has more to do with the car # and team more than Austin, to me, he is just not very likable. I am going to agree the 500 will be his only win this year unless he lucks himself into a fuel mileage win like last year.

This is the reason I hated Dale Sr. for 20 years. He'd dump someone just for the win.
I think I recall something about he'd dump his grandma for a win. After letting this sit for a bit, I think the major issue for me is the type of track. NASCAR is about rough racing for the win, always has been always will be. But to say what AD did at 'tona is the same thing as if he did a Msville, is plan flat out wrong to me. If this continues, dumping someone at 200 mph going into a a corner will become the norm, and someone may get hurt.

BUT...

Superspeedways are dangerous....and are supposed to be. <sigh>

Not sure anyone is expecting him to start running up front.. he probably won't get any new fans.. but he does have that Daytona 500 win and all the whining in the world can't take that from him.

We all know we would do the same thing, whether we would admit it is another story but we won't get the chance.. some people need to get off their high horse.

Everything is great.

NASCAR is back.. I'm ready for Atlanta.

Not much has changed in plate racing. At least Earnhardt had concern for the guy he turned. All I've heard from Dillon was "I guess I could have let him win". No class whatsoever. Take a look here.

What Austin Dillon's ass tattoo will look like when he's 80...

IMG_1258.JPG

I think I recall something about he'd dump his grandma for a win. After letting this sit for a bit, I think the major issue for me is the type of track. NASCAR is about rough racing for the win, always has been always will be. But to say what AD did at 'tona is the same thing as if he did a Msville, is plan flat out wrong to me. If this continues, dumping someone at 200 mph going into a a corner will become the norm, and someone may get hurt.

BUT...

Superspeedways are dangerous....and are supposed to be. <sigh>

I think it was Mike Skinner that said he'd wreck his grandma for a win. I can't recall. It's been a long time, and I've slept a lot since then.

Not much has changed in plate racing. At least Earnhardt had concern for the guy he turned. All I've heard from Dillon was "I guess I could have let him win". No class whatsoever. Take a look here.

Rusty came down on me..heh heh, sure he did.

I think it was Mike Skinner that said he'd wreck his grandma for a win. I can't recall. It's been a long time, and I've slept a lot since then.
Just think of all the extra work you could have got done if you hadn't slept so much. Sorry I couldn't resist:D...I might even take a little nap myself while I'm sitting at the track here in Phoenix waiting to pit.:)

Rusty came down on me..heh heh, sure he did.

THIS THIS THIS such class.

Dillon should have shown concern for Aric.
SR may have been a jerk on track, but man...on a personal level,. he was quite a man.

Back
Top Bottom