Average fuel usage per car in each Indy 500 since 1911?

Do you support the use of hybrid engines in auto racing?

• Yes

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Yes, but only for auto racing. I do not support tax subsidies for consumer hybrid cars

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters
M

Michael Geronime

I am trying to determine how fuel usage in the Indy 500 has changed over the past 106 years, i.e., since the first Indy 500 in 1911. In particular I would like to see the mile per gallon (mpg) figures for the cars in the Indy 500 for each race since 1911, especially how those mpg figures have changed over the years. Related to these mpg figures I would like to see how much fuel the regulations allowed each car to consume during each of the past Indy 500s, i.e., how much fuel there is in those large fuel tanks next to each car’s pit location. Also, I would also like to see the average car’s engine horsepower (HP), also for each year again showing how these figures have changed over the years.

I’ve searched online and have only found two results for the mpg that these car obtain in the Indy 500:

1) That in 1987, the engines, with around 720 HP, required to have a maximum mpg of 1.8.
2) That In 2011 the average mpg was 1.92.

Regarding the maxinum number of gallons of fuel an Indy car was allowed to use, I found only one result: 40 gallons, and I don’t recall when that was. I believe it was relatively recently.

Thus, in conclusion, does anybody out there know:

1) The mile per gallon (mpg) figures for the cars in the Indy 500 for each race since 1911.
2) How much fuel the regulations allowed each car to consume in the Indy 500 for each race since 1911.
3) The average Indy car’s engine horsepower (HP), also for each year since the first Indy 500 in 1911.

Thanks,

Mike Geronime

P.S. I am definitely NOT a ‘greenie’, and I don’t give a d*** how much fuel these cars consume. Hell, sometimes during a race I think the more the better! But I also realize the consequences of that in the number of pit stops required and the time stopped in the pit to replace all those gallons used. In these limitations, time spent in the pit, is the only reason I like increased fuel efficiency. But, also, DON’T go to hybrid engines! A big waste of money for little gained (all those engine failures because of a failed hybrid component). Just look at what has happened to the hybrid cars in the World Endurance Championship (WEC). This year Audi dropped its two cars out of the hybrid class (after winning the championship last year – surely a curse for those supporting hybrid cars?!), leaving just Porsche and Toyota, with Porsche of course winning over the perennial loser Toyota. Next year, Porsche (after winning that championship!) will be gone, having also dropped its 2 car entry out of the series, leaving now just Toyota in the hybrid class. They’ll probably finally win the championship next year, this time by default, (before also dropping out). The reasons given thus far for dropping out appear to rebound to COST: $10s of millions per hybrid car!

From my above diatribe, you can most certainly tell I’m NOT a ‘greenie’ environmentalist!

For racing I don't think millage is as important as going fast. They used to have millage trials where cars drove at low, constant speed to get the best millage possible (I don't know if that goes on these days). As for hybrid tech, if manufacturers want to develop the technology, racing might help but it would have to be their own series, I doubt hybird tech could compete against the current racing technology. I have not been impressed with Formula E but maybe that series could evolve to Formula Hybird (changing cars for a pit stop proves the tech isn't viable for racing).

I don't think there was a limit on how much fuel a car could consume during the race, until the 1970's. As far as engine horsepower, I think you can find most of that at Wiki. I was looking at some of Jim Clark's 1965 winning Lotus Ford yesterday. As far as MPG goes, if you can find out how much a given car could hold, and multiply by how many fuel stops they made, it might get you into the ballpark, but that's probably about it.

Reactions: JW1

And remember...........Roger Penske used to put a towel over the gas tank gauge so no one could see how much gas he had left.

:(

And remember...........Roger Penske used to put a towel over the gas tank gauge so no one could see how much gas he had left.

:(
I recently have been watching old Indy 500 races (1970 on), and I just saw a video of such a tank (Penske’s?) with a towel covering the gas gauge. I love those old “low tech” days.

P.S. I am definitely NOT a ‘greenie’, and I don’t give a d*** how much fuel these cars consume. Hell, sometimes during a race I think the more the better!

Auto racing is about wasting as much fuel, burning as much rubber, making as much noise and raising as much hell as humanly possible.

Back
Top Bottom