Azerbaijan GP Thread

Vettel is over 2 seconds off. :eek:

And everyone is going off course. lol

The track is a great drivers challenge. So unique.
Big penalties for mistakes unlike the miles of runoff.

Quali - Wow Hamilton, you da man. about 2 secs. better than the poll last year.

Last edited:
@kyle18fan Come here and kiss the ring. :XXROFL:

Dont know where all that speed came from but the Mercedes got it back.

Lewis in Q2 was 7 tenths faster in sector 2.

He still picked up 4 tenths during Q3.

Absolute madness.

Perez and Max starting on row 3 might be fun to watch .

I'm never gonna become familiar with this circuit and I'm pretty sure there won't be much overtaking tomorrow.

Vettel maybe was slightly off the pace because he ran an older engine (the one he had used in the Australian GP), as the German commentator mentioned around 100 times.

This track sucks majorly.

It's not any worse than Monaco. In fact, it looks like a lot more fun to drive.

Looks challenging to me. Also looks like a few of the drivers are challenged too ....... especially the ones who are in the wall.

I quite like it. At least there are consequence if you go off. It's fast and it's slow, so it has a bit of everything. That and it looks nice. What's not to like except you can't just throw the car off the circuit and then drive it back on?

And everyone is going off course. lol

The cool part is there are actually things to hit instead of just painted lines to cross or AstroTurf to run over. There are no car width "curbs" to give you a five foot margin of error. There are no "track limit" penalties except the ones that tear stuff off your car, you know, kind of like real race tracks used to be.

With this being what the drivers are used to, it's a wonder they have not totally torn the walls down already.

That turn through the castle looking corner is a bitch.

Good thing too. Formula One is supposed to be difficult.

Last time the drivers cried and moaned all through practice and then turned in the cleanest race of the year. How did that happen on such a supposedly bad track?

This year they are complaining how deadly dangerous the curb leading into the castle section is, but it's worth noting the guys who stayed mostly off it also didn't crash.

After a month of staring at sheer walls while driving at 230mph, Alonso must be getting a good laugh out about these drivers complaining that a 30mph corner is "dangerous."

I'm taking a liking to Baku. Sucks that the drivers whined enough for them to change the curbing at the castle corner this morning though.

I'm taking a liking to Baku. Sucks that the drivers whined enough for them to change the curbing at the castle corner this morning though.

Was that what they changed? Bottas wacked it in quali.

Here's the new curbing. I'm still looking for a pic of the old curbing.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-fia-changes-kerbs-baku-922308/

The old curbing was like a curved sausage curb. If you dove over it with all four wheels it could launch you off the ground and then the car would just go straight into the wall. But then again, if you drive all four wheels off the inside of the circuit, should you really get away with it?

Here's the new curbing. I'm still looking for a pic of the old curbing.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-fia-changes-kerbs-baku-922308/

The old curbing was like a curved sausage curb. If you dove over it with all four wheels it could launch you off the ground and then the car would just go straight into the wall. But then again, if you drive all four wheels off the inside of the circuit, should you really get away with it?

I found this one through google. Seems to be from last year.

XPB_817935_HiRes.jpg

There does seem to be a slight bump in it.

There is no room for course correction should you miss it so I can see why the change.

You can see the curb in the video, especially the second view from behind in slow motion. essentially the curbing was stuck out in the road to narrow the entry and make the turn itself tighter. The fast way is to run comp[lately over the curb and straight line the entry, except, that is, the curbing was high enough to make all four wheels come off the ground.

The curbing was laid out that way because the track is intended to be the black part of the circuit. You could not straight line the corner if there was a wall inside that curbing, so why should you get away with it otherwise?

I mean, why not just don't hit the curb? Seems much simpler that modify9ing the track. Aren't these guys supposed to be good drivers?

Last edited:
I found this one through google. Seems to be from last year.

XPB_817935_HiRes.jpg

There does seem to be a slight bump in it.

There is no room for course correction should you miss it so I can see why the change.

Yeah, that's it, and the intent of putting it there was to make the entrance a tighter turn and slow the car's entry. They could have just as easily let the wall define the circuit, but then there would be complaining that the is an unforgiving wall there. Alonso spent an entire month staring at walls while doing 230 mph, and he has to come back and listen to these crybabies wail about a 40mph corner having a rough curbing. He's got to be secretly LHAO at these clowns.

Kinda lame honestly. As Doc has been saying, the whole point of the curb is so that you can't just run right through that portion of tarmac. Narrowing that turn gave it a lot more character. And the "best drivers in the world" couldn't handle it.

Kinda lame honestly. As Doc has been saying, the whole point of the curb is so that you can't just run right through that portion of tarmac. Narrowing that turn gave it a lot more character. And the "best drivers in the world" couldn't handle it.

Could explain why Hamilton suddenly was invincible today as opposed to yesterday where he couldn't find any speed. That turn gave him grievance.

That's where he crashed last year too.

I would have rather seen them leave the curb completely out of there and if they want to drive into the wall on entry, let them. There was no need to slow them down so much for that turn. Let them go in faster and haul ass up the road to the castle. That would give it some character.

Instead, they narrowed an already narrow entry to the point there is no way two cars can go in there side by side, and destroyed a potential passing opportunity. It's a braking zone, but you don't even try because there's no room for two cars to go in together at the turn-in point. The turn is so slow it's about the only point that aero doesn't totally unsettle the car behind, but the opportunity is lost because they have them driving into a funnel. One of the most Mickey Mouse things I've ever seen in F1, which is saying something.

They also slowed the cars in the most interesting section of the entire track. Well, folks, here's the Castle section, which features an entry so narrow that passing is impossible, and slows the cars to the point they don't even look fast. Isn't F1 exciting?

They had a chance to do something cool with the castle and they blew it off. If they had been passing at the castle or even hitting the damm thing, that would be better than having it be the backdrop to the cars puttering up the hill single file.

Wow Hamilton's race almost came to an end even before the green flag. LOL

Much respect for the Azerbaijan grid girls. I didnt know that Azerbaijan permitted or allowed women to be women.

Kimi squeezed Bottas like crazy. Where was he supposed to go on a corner?

Just saw the replay..that was on Bottas.

Still dont like the whiny little bitch Kimi though.

Back
Top Bottom