Baseball talk...

AndyMarquisLive

I love short track racing (Taylor's Version)
Who would've thought the Baltimore Orioles and the Washington Nationals would be in first place in their respective leagues one month in to the season?

Nationals may actually be contenders. Orioles will fade.

btw, I see wher Moose Skowron has died. Very Good player and played in 5 World Series.

I watch almost every inning of every Indians game and I still can't believe that they are in first place in their division. I'm happy that they are winning enough to be in first place, although the other teams in the division are really struggling and that has more to do with them being in first place than the Tribe's performance. They are only like 2 games over .500.

I'm having a good time watching the Rangers so far though. They look really good so far. I'm just a little concerned that my favorite player in baseball, Josh Hamilton, injured his back last night and had to leave the game. He is definitely the straw that stirs the drink in that line-up.

I will put the pitching staff of the 1954 Cleveland Indians up against any team in the majors, in any year.

Early Wynn
Mike Garcia
Bob Lemon (and Lemon was a good hitter also - they used to use him as a pinch hitter)
Bob Feller
Art Houtteman

I will put the pitching staff of the 1954 Cleveland Indians up against any team in the majors, in any year.

Early Wynn
Mike Garcia
Bob Lemon (and Lemon was a good hitter also - they used to use him as a pinch hitter)
Bob Feller
Art Houtteman
I'd put the Phillies staff up against them, but I'd like to be able to change the offense the pitchers bring with them.

naw, the only team that would come close to the 54 Indians is the 70 Orioles who had:
Jim Palmer - 20 wins
Mike Cuellar - 24 wins
Dave McNally - 24 wins

But the Orioles had 3 great pitchers that year while the 54 Indians had 5 great pitchers. I will stick with the Indians.

Early Wynn
Mike Garcia
Bob Feller
Art Houtteman

I'm a little too young to speak on this from experience, but I've heard this sentiment from many people who saw them pitch. I've heard that nobody, and I mean nobody, ever threw as hard as Bob Feller did.

http://blueridgecountry.com/archive/ron-necciai.html
If you love baseball, I urge you to read this article in its entirety. It is a wonderful article about a wonderful person. I remember Ron Necciai from when I was a youngster.

The man who struck out everybody. He struck out 27 batters in a single game. Not only that, the next game he struck out 24 batters.

A baseball giant no lesser than Branch Rickey -- the man who broke baseball's color line by bringing Jackie Robinson to the major leagues in 1947 -- called him "one of the three greatest pitchers I've ever seen." What earned Ron Necciai a mention in the same breath with hall of famers Christy Mathewson and Dizzy Dean was a right arm that allowed him to do something no other man has ever done in 150 years of professional baseball. He did it in 1952, in Bristol, Va.

It's tough to get a real handle on what Ron Necciai did in these mountains in the spring of 1952..........................................

Nationals may actually be contenders. Orioles will fade.

btw, I see wher Moose Skowron has died. Very Good player and played in 5 World Series.

Yep, the Orioles start and finish strong but suck in the summer stretch. At least they have some pitching this year.

Nationals are looking real strong.

I love it when the Yankees are shut out. I love it even more when it's the players from Birdland doing the shutting out!

GO O'S!

The Indians have so many holes in their line-up that it hurts me to watch sometimes. However, they have an amazing ability to hit in the clutch at times. Even Sandy, err Shelly Duncan who really sucks most of the time has come through in the clutch lately, including last night when he hit a big double in the 8th inning to drive in the winning run. Of course, if he had hit better in other key situations earlier in the same game, the game wouldn't have come down to that.

Watching the Rangers/Orioles game in Baltimore and got a question Andy.Where are the fans??????Oh and by the way it's 5-1 RANGERS:D

Josh Hamilton 4 Home Runs and a Double so far tonight against the O's.WoooooooooHoooooooooooooo.

big deal. I rooted for the Pirates in the 50's when they always finished in last place. Being a baseball fan doesn't mean you only root for the winners.
Not much has changed for the Pirates has it?

Wow. Josh Hamilton's four homer game with a double was pretty amazing. I'm probably a little biased as he is my favorite player, but he sure seems like the best player in the American League. He now leads the league in average, home runs, RBI, and many other categories.

Not much has changed for the Pirates has it?
Actually the Pirates were a pretty good team in the 60's and 70's and were a continual division winner. Then the days of the big money teams took over and baseball has never been the same.

Anyone notice how Honcho didn't talk trash when the Orioles beat the Rangers. I was going to wait for him to act civil about that (seeing as the Rangers did win three of four games) but it didn't happen. Regardless of those losses, the Orioles are playing great baseball right now, best they've played in more than a decade. Some of us remain true to our teams win or lose,and it's certainly great to see the Orioles in first place in the AL East which is, without a doubt, the toughest division in baseball. It would surprise me if they made it to postseason (but that is possible) but they might actually finish the season above .500 for the first time since 1997.

Actually the Pirates were a pretty good team in the 60's and 70's and were a continual division winner. Then the days of the big money teams took over and baseball has never been the same.

That's why this year is so great IMO. There are a lot of surprise teams playing really great baseball right now. It's great to see Boston in last place and the Yankees in third place behind Baltimore and Tampa. I like seeing David beat Goliath.

Seriously, the Orioles are back in first place? Normally I'd be happy but this is the Orioles we're talking about so it makes me wonder what's wrong with every other team in the league and how the Orioles will blow this incredible season they're having.

The Orioles have beaten the Nationals in back-to-back thrillers. As for the big picture... the AL East is topsy turvy! The Boston Red Sox are in last place with the New York Yankees only two games out of last place. Meanwhile, the Baltimore Orioles, who are the best team on the road in all of baseball right now, are still in first place, not just in the east but the conference altogether.

I wonder when the Orioles I've grown to love are going to start showing up.

The Orioles have beaten the Nationals in back-to-back thrillers. As for the big picture... the AL East is topsy turvy! The Boston Red Sox are in last place with the New York Yankees only two games out of last place. Meanwhile, the Baltimore Orioles, who are the best team on the road in all of baseball right now, are still in first place, not just in the east but the conference altogether.

I wonder when the Orioles I've grown to love are going to start showing up.

I was thinking about that this morning when I looked at the East. I hope Baltimore and Tampa keep it up. I'd love to see the Yankees and Red Sox at the bottom come end of season.

The AL east is the toughest division in baseball right now. I like how it is really close, only 5 1/2 games seperating all the teams. Both Boston and NY have had their share of injuries, and so has Tampa, Baltimore has seemed to escape the injury bug somewhat. I'd love to see the Orioles hang in there to the end, if they can maintain their pitching at this level and not have too many major injuries they might be a factor. It cetainly is good to see them as a competitive team again. I still think Tampa will win the division and the Yankees will some how get the Wildcard. As for the Orioles fans; I think they are waiting to see if Baltimore is the real deal before they start showing up. If the Orioles are still in first place or very near it by the All-Star break, I think the attendance will pick up substantially. My team the Red Sox might make a run for the Wildcard if they get some of their starting outfield back and if those guys can play well when they do come back. Right now they don't have any starters in the outfield after Ross went on the DL yesterday. Of course starting pitching is always a major question with them these days too.

Phillies fans are starting to get desperate. We just can't hit. The talk this past week seems to be that we should try to trade Cole Hamels and someone like Shane Victorino to Texas for Josh Hamilton.

The Phillies a
Phillies fans are starting to get desperate. We just can't hit. The talk this past week seems to be that we should try to trade Cole Hamels and someone like Shane Victorino to Texas for Josh Hamilton.[
The Phillies are starting to get old just like the Yankees, btw that would not be a good trade for them.

The Phillies have been the best team in baseball for the last half dozen+ years, don't write them off yet. Injuries have hurt them for sure, especially Utley and Hamilton.

Back
Top Bottom