Best Books You've Read

A

ajk112802

A friend of mine is creating a book club and is looking for a unique collection of books, classics and contemporaries. Anyone care to share their favorites?

A Tale of Two Cites, Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Hawaii, The Green Mile, anything by Stephen King or Dean Koontz, the Old Testament, and many, many more.
I prefer fiction, as you may be able to tell. :)

These days, the wife and I don't read novels, but rather we listen to them when on the road. We've found some pretty good ones in the thriller/mystery category, but they are pretty much from unknown authors. However, we did listen to one that became a movie and we loved the book better and that was "The Painted House". Can't tell you who wrote it cause it's not right here in front of me. :)

My all time fav "...And The Ladies of The Club" by Helen Hooven Santmyer

Watership Down by Richard Adams

The series by Colleen McCullough starting with The First Man in Rome

The Autobiography of Henry VIII, Mary Queen of Scotland, and The Memoirs of Cleopatra --- all by Margaret George

Peter the Great by Robert K. Massie

Victoria by Stanley Weintraub or Queen Victoria by Cecil Woodham Smith

Adolf Hitler by John Toland

In science fiction --- anything by David Eddings

"Crossing The Line" by Danica Patrick (not bias or anything:D )

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo

good thread, so much to choose from. catch-22 is funny as hell while delivering a message. johnny got his gun definitely not funny. both anti-war.

However, we did listen to one that became a movie and we loved the book better and that was "The Painted House". Can't tell you who wrote it cause it's not right here in front of me. :)

If the book was about a young boy who painted his grandparents farm house over the course of a summer then it was written by John Grisham.

I read books by John Grisham, Patricia Cornwell, Dean Koontz, J.D. Robb's (aka Nora Roberts) "In Death" series. If you haven't figured out, most of the books I read are Crime Drama types. :cool:

Unquestionably, my favorite author is John Steinbeck. these are the books of his that I have read. His classics of course are East of Eden and Grapes Of Wrath. You may want to try The Moon Is Down or Of Mice And Men first as they are excellent books and give a good sample of his writing.

Tortilla Flat
Cannery Row
Sweet Thursday
Red Pony
Of Mice And Men
Grapes Of Wrath
Moon Is Down
Wayward Bus
The Pearl
East Of Eden
Winter Of our Discontent
Travels With Charley
The Russian Journals

Another writer that I enjoy is James Lee Burke. His latest book....Tin Roof Blowdown is outstanding. His characters in the books are complex and be prepared for some straight story telling. His knowledge of Southern Louisiana and the culture is unsurpassed.

I really have been reading a lot of David Baldacci lately. Some of his books I've really liked are Split Second, Hour Game, Camel Club and others in those series. I've read a few good ones by Sandra Brown (Chill Factor is really good) and Michael Connelly (Echo Park rocks) lately also.

Other writers I really like are Peter Abrahams, William Bernhardt, and Stephen King.

Like Maj, I like the crime/drama/thriller types too.

I really have been reading a lot of David Baldacci lately. Some of his books I've really liked are Split Second, Hour Game, Camel Club and others in those series. I've read a few good ones by Sandra Brown (Chill Factor is really good) and Michael Connelly (Echo Park rocks) lately also.

Other writers I really like are Peter Abrahams, William Bernhardt, and Stephen King.

Like Maj, I like the crime/drama/thriller types too.
Try reading James Lee Burke, I think you would like his books. I read also a lot of Stephen King, he is good.

Back
Top Bottom