Better Late Than Never

Whizzer

Gig'em
:huh: Sterling Marlin said Jeff Gordon had not appologized and that Jeff Gordon was not called to the NASCAR trailer.

In a written media report this date, a sarcastic reporter tells a different story. One in which Jeff Gordon says he has apologized to Sterling Marlin but feels Marlin does not think he was sincere in the apology. Jeff admited he is totally responsible and accepts ALL the blame for the past two incidents with Marlin.
This is contrary to comments made by Marlin in an interview held earlier.

Gordon said he had been summoned to the NASCAR trailer. The article goes on to say Jeff Gordon while admitting full responsibility also admits he is driving more aggressively as the cars are so equal, it becomes necesary to do so.

Look for pay back, but not right away. It took Morgan Shepard a couple of years to pay Earnhardt back. :D

I agree. The he said/she said stuff is for the birds. They'll discuss it on the track...one way or the other.

This new aggressive Jeff is like taking a shower with your boots on.Just doesn't feel right.

One lesson Jeff will learn is that the aggression will only hurt him in the long run.Jeff Gordon has always been a driver who could win races....IF he takes a Raymobile to the front and keeps it there all day.Take that away from him and what do you have?Mediocrity is a word that would fit.Ironic that Gordon is complaining that the cars are 'equal' now,so all else is fair!LMAO!

Welcome back to earth Gordon.You are just another good driver these days.Not the Possessor of the Device like you once were!Man,thats gotta hurt the old ego to see Jr. have what you once had.

Ok,that was harsh.....but seriously Jeff,stop the bargain basement Earnhardt tactics before you hurt yourself or someone else.

Originally posted by 97forever@Jun 11 2003, 02:33 PM
Ok,that was harsh.....but seriously Jeff,stop the bargain basement Earnhardt tactics before you hurt yourself or someone else.
Okay, 97. Let's not get too carried away here. Jeff Gordon admittedly said that the front end got away from him at Dover and he did not intentionally get into Sterling. Somehow Sterling has forgotten about his "accidental" occurrances with other drivers. Nothing more to say.

Originally posted by 97forever@Jun 11 2003, 07:33 PM
This new aggressive Jeff is like taking a shower with your boots on.Just doesn't feel right.

One lesson Jeff will learn is that the aggression will only hurt him in the long run.Jeff Gordon has always been a driver who could win races....IF he takes a Raymobile to the front and keeps it there all day.Take that away from him and what do you have?Mediocrity is a word that would fit.Ironic that Gordon is complaining that the cars are 'equal' now,so all else is fair!LMAO!

Welcome back to earth Gordon.You are just another good driver these days.Not the Possessor of the Device like you once were!Man,thats gotta hurt the old ego to see Jr. have what you once had.

Here we go again. This is getting to be "old hat".

MEDIOCRITY: 1: the state of being mediocre. (See mediocre.)

MEDIOCRE: 1: ordinary; average 2: not good enough, inferior.

Records for Gordon indicate he is already one of the best, ever. Since his career is not over, no one can say if he will break and set more records.
Gordon has come from the back and from laps down, to win. A solid indication he has the necessary driving skills to retain the standard awarded by his peers within the NASCAR community. Gordon has also proven a "Raymobile" isn't necessary to win another championship.

Is he more aggressive?? It doesn't seem so when looking at every other driver on the track, but he is singled out just as are Junior and Stewart.

IMO, Jeff Gordon understands the reasons for his inability to achieve the same standards he established early on in his career, just as Richard Petty did when things changed from his early years. This does not make him "mediocre". But Jeff Gordon is not done and he will be more than a force to be reckoned with in the future. No more ten or more wins a year, but from his comments, he understands why and knows how to deal with it.

Jeff is not done winning races --- and I think he has more championships in him.

Now that the divorce is a done deal, he'll be able to put his full attention into racing.

Aggression is a part of racing. I don't know that Jeff has been more aggressive than anyone else lately. He's just been the one seen on TV.

Thanks for the handy definition of the word MEDIOCRITY Whiz.

Now lets pull out our Websters and look for the word COMPARATIVELY...as in 'comparatively speaking'.That is Gordon with Ray as opposed to Gordon without Ray.33 wins in three seasons with Ray is pretty phenomonal....Gordon's performance since the departure of Evernham is certainly mediocre-----COMPARATIVELY speaking.

Now,it may be true that championships can be won without driving a 'Raymobile'.However three titles in 5 years or so just aint gonna happen without Ray.Period.Interesting in that you also doubt 10-win seasons MINUS Ray.What do you attribute that too?Just curious.Certainly the same guy is behind the wheel,correct?The magic went with Hollywood Ray.And the fact that some would or could argue that Jeff is as much a force with Loomis as he was with Evernham is simply unbelievable.

Thats:

UNBELIEVABLE:1.Defying logic or the refusal to accept reality.

Ah yes, "COMPARITIVELY", but where did that come from??
In an effort to clarify by taking a quote from another post in this thread:

"Jeff Gordon has always been a driver who could win races....IF he takes a Raymobile to the front and keeps it there all day.Take that away from him and what do you have? Mediocrity is a word that would fit.Ironic that Gordon is complaining that the cars are 'equal' now,so all else is fair!LMAO!"

The quote infers Jeff Gordon is incapable of winning races if driving anything other than a "Raymobile".

Please note acknowledging the winning and potential for additional championships since the "Raymobile" era dilutes any opinion the HMS / Gordon team is "mediocre".

It is doubtful anyone other than a Gordon fan with blinders could state Jeff Gordon will have the same success in the future he had in the past. That would be unrealistic. It does not suggest Gordon is any less competent as a driver. Gordon had success long before coming to the NWCS. He enjoyed additional success under the tutlege of Ray Evernham, which came at a time when different rules applied and the winning combination excelled at making the proper decisions in setup, design, strategy, luck, perseverance and by having the best driver.

Drivers note the cars being raced in the past two ir three years are "engineered" rather than setup and driven, as stated in a recent interview with WCS by Mark Martin.
In a different interview it was said a driver need not have certain skills to win as were necessary in previous years since the advent of computers and the related "engineering". This, in concert with NASCAR instituted rule changes and parity derived from common templates and an open inspection give more teams greater opportunity to win, something NASCAR openly and readily admit they are striving for.

This is an opinion. Please feel free to agree or disagree as you wish. Hopefully, those who choose to either agree or disagree will opine from the head rather than the heart. :D

Originally posted by TexasRaceLady@Jun 13 2003, 09:51 AM
Aggression is a part of racing. I don't know that Jeff has been more aggressive than anyone else lately. He's just been the one seen on TV.
Amen sista..

Always from the head,of course,Whiz! :)

(And it does bear mentioning on here that just because you or I or anyone has a difference of opinion,doesn't mean that we are 'attacking' that particular driver or poster.We are all friends on here.)

And my final point would be this:Gordon is certainly good enough to win races without Ray.Just not as many,not as often and not as easily.Who knows,maybe Dale wouldn't have bumped his way to victory so often if HE would have had a Raymobile! :p

Originally posted by 97forever@Jun 14 2003, 07:35 PM
Always from the head,of course,Whiz! :)
(And it does bear mentioning on here that just because you or I or anyone has a difference of opinion,doesn't mean that we are 'attacking' that particular driver or poster.We are all friends on here.)

:p
WHould Earnhardt have bumped his way into victory lane as much with a Raymobile?? The answer is "yes". It was his style as the "school yard bully".

I get up in the morning, have breakfast, read the paper, go to E-Bay and then this forum in search of a topic in which I have a differing opinion or find a comment that is objectionable.

Now the casual observer might ask why, but have no fear, you will not go away disappointed, I'll tell you.

First, I try to choose discussions and opinions coming from a post wherein the person making the post has a sense of what makes a driver better than average and knows a bit about the NWCS. Either as a long time fan or having read a large number of books. It eliminates some of the opinions that come from the heart rather than the head.
There is much more to these discussions than merely "besting" one another, but it is more of "testing" one another. That is the fun part.

Recent discussions between 97Forever and ole Whizzer might permit some to conclude this is a batttle to the death between old Whizzer and 97Forever. Well, it ain't. Mainly because life is to short and secondly, I'm too damn old to engage in a pissin' contest with a skunk. So I try to choose my disagreements carefully hoping the end result will be good healthy debate and fun. To date, that has always been the case and I ain't found any skunks, yet.

Keeps the juices flowing and provides some form of mental stimulation. Otherwise my day consists of mowing the grass, which is filled with grubs and now moles and voles or participating in some menial task like helping my wife decide which flowers should be planted next to the stone wall. I now have time to restore my JD318 (plan to use it in stock garden tractor pulls) and plan the attack on another forum wherein some individual will invaribly comment on something I disagree with or find offensive. This excites me no end.

There you have it . End of explanation, for those who wanted to know. :rolleyes:

I believe the "reason" lies in the tire compounds, not neccessarily the car parity. Gordon knows how to save tires and that is why he won a lot of those "ray-ces". These new guys like Newman, Busch and even Jr. aren't used to tires that fall off and need to be saved. Nowadays, you may run as hard as you want because the tires usually will last an entire fuel run. Gordon won a lot of "ray-ces" with the "where did he come from" scenario and not from being the best car. Seems to be the Roush has the same amount of resources and has yet to win a championship. Martin would have won in 98 if Gordon didn't have a phenomenal year. Yes, Ray and Jeff were great, but it has been proven that it wasn't all Ray. Sure, we will not see a dominance like 98 anytime soon, but if they go back to "real tires", we will see much better racing IMO.

Ahem...

"pissin' contest with a skunk?" :XXROFL:

You are a classic,Whiz!A tip of my old and faded 'Busch' for president cap to you!

Back
Top Bottom