Bill Weber

Yep...

I guess Tony slinking down and basically trying to hide under his car weren't hints enough to shut up.

I still don't understand why these idiotic television guys get to annoy drivers pretty much whenever they want. Is that part of "all access", and is it really supposed to be that way?

It seems they could have waited a couple of minutes for Tony to get out of the car and talk to people who actually care about him, not the stupid press. I'm sick to death of their obnoxious microphones. :mad:

Originally posted by eeff
Those were some pretty lame questions he asked Tony!

Walking on egg shells with what the press did to Tony last week. Actually, I thought Webber did the right thing......simple, easy questions so Tony would have the opportunity to further apologize to his fans, team, sponsor and the world......he was wronged last week.

Actually I though the questions were lame.

The past week was covered enough to suit me. I would rather have heard about todays race and darn litttle else.

Tony looked plumb tuckered out to me. And answering the same questons he answered every day since Friday wasn't going to perk him up much, or hold my interest either> IMHO

I agree HS, would have much rather heard about the race today. Of course, I was a little surprised when they went to volleyball almost as soon as the race was over. I love the interviews after the race on most days. Oh well, there's always next week and, Tony won. Yeah!!!!!!!

Was that Tony's girlfriend that bent down to talk to him while he was sitting on the ground just after the interview? I wasn't sure because I don't hear much about Tony and his ladies.

Rebel, if it wasn't his girl friend, it was a close friend..........she gave him a kiss!!:D

And if Tony can keep his lady friends out of the limelight, I will appaud him even more. It's not about Tony Stewart's love life......it's about his racing abilities and, at the moment, his character. Both of which are outstanding to this "new fan" of his!!:D

Originally posted by Rebel20
Was that Tony's girlfriend that bent down to talk to him while he was sitting on the ground just after the interview? I wasn't sure because I don't hear much about Tony and his ladies.

Good.

I could care less about "Tony's ladies".

Tony was trying to get away and Bill wouldn't let him. Those were some bad queations he asked Tony.

Originally posted by gordon24fan
Tony was trying to get away and Bill wouldn't let him. Those were some bad queations he asked Tony.

Bill had no choice and Tony had no choice.........but Tony handled it well. He had about as bad a week as anyone could have and he did fine......I think Weber sensed that and let him off easy. Good for Bill and good for Tony.:calpping:

Found this at Insiderracing.com and thought he had some pretty good things to say. I hope Tony can get help and I'm with this writer in saying they should hold press conference 30 minutes after the race.

Throwing Rocks Through An Open Cage Door
By Bill Graham

August 7, 2002

Are there any reporters out there who is not aware that Tony Stewart has a temper? Anybody left that missed the meeting where we discussed that if Tony did not win the race, he does not want to talk to us? Anyone not know where to find the stock photo's of Tony looking angry? Look people, the rules are simple. You don't tug on Superman's cape. You don't spit in the wind. You don't pull on the mask of the ole Long Ranger. And you don't chase down Tony Stewart to ask him how he feels about ending up in 12th place (or worse) after having a dominant car right after he has climbed out of the same said car.

By all accounts this photographer chased Tony half way across the garage with Tony almost eluding him a couple of times. What is this clown's plan for next week's photo op? Poking his neighbor's untethered pit bull with a stick? How about pouring pepper on a nest of rattlesnakes? If he follows a grizzly through the woods long enough he'll eventually get some good pics there too. Maybe Mother Nature will have "a good discussion" with him when he whines to her about her bear ripping him to shreds.

Joe Gibbs has asked the media to give Tony some room. Tony has asked to be left alone. They have hired a person who's whole job is to talk to the media for Tony. Why? Because Tony has a history of responding violently to stupid questions when he is frustrated. Should Tony address that problem? Of course he should. Has he tried? I think genuine efforts have been made to not just change the image, but to avoid and eliminate these episodes. But come on, you can't write story after story about Tony's anger management problem with one hand while poking him with a stick with the other.

This "photo journalist" was looking to make the news happen. To him, the story of the moment was not a storied 46 year old driver winning one of racing's premier events. He could have cared less about the tears of joy running down Ray Evernham's face. Not even interested in the dissappointment of another seasoned veteren who clawed his way from the back of the field only to end up in second place for the 3rd time. He passed all that up to try and get face to face with a man who would be more than glad to bounce his camera off the big red NASCAR trailer. He got more than he bargained for and I'll bet today he considers the meeting a great success. After all, anyone know who Gary Mook or the Indianapolis Star were before monday? I'm guessing he saw a good chance to start the 15 minute clock.

Many people are calling for NASCAR and Joe Gibbs to get Tony Stewart under control. I think it's high time that NASCAR got the reporters and crowds in the garage under control. How anyone gets any work done in that mass of confusion is beyond me. A driver or crew chief can't walk from point A to garage B without getting hit up for an autograph or facing a microphone belonging to the Indianapolis Star Jr. High School paper.

There should be places in or near the garages that are off limits. There should be paths from the motorhomes and pits to the garages that are off limits. The drivers will seek the public when they are ready for the public. They know they need the fans. If they forget, the owners and sponsors will remind them. Perhaps restricting access immediately after the race (TV crew excepted of course), but requiring the drivers to hold press conferences, let's say 30 minutes after each race would be a good balance. It would give the drivers a chance to unwind, cool down and review. It's just a thought.

Disclaimer: The opinions of WildBill are very much like the body part Kurt Busch was gesturing towards...everyone has one and his ain't pretty.

You can contact Bill Graham at: Insider Racing News

One great article sgbg..........thanks. And I have to agree with the journalist's proposal!! Perhaps there is hope.......at least one real, guinuine journalist is left in this world of tabloid rags that call themselves seekers of truth!!

good article, thanks for sharing. dont step on supermans cape, dont spit into the wind....:p i love it

I do think Tony has a problem, but wouldn't you if you had to deal with that all the time. I know they have to know the pressure that will be put on them when they start racing the big league, but when is enough enough? They need and deserve their time and space. With the responsiblities they have to their sponsers, teams, and just doing what it takes to be in the big time, I'm surprised more of this type of thing doesn't happen more often. Tony does need help, so he won't be in this position again, but give the guy a break every now and then. There were other stories that day to report! Leave Tony be, and do your job with another driver! I'm sure the rookies would love the print or tv time! And by the way, Home Depo has some nerve! Whew, I think I'm done now!:)

Originally posted by sgbg88
I do think Tony has a problem, but wouldn't you if you had to deal with that all the time. I know they have to know the pressure that will be put on them when they start racing the big league, but when is enough enough?  They need and deserve their time and space. With the responsiblities they have to their sponsers, teams, and just doing what it takes to be in the big time, I'm surprised more of this type of thing doesn't happen more often. Tony does need help, so he won't be in this position again, but give the guy a break every now and then. There were other stories that day to report! Leave Tony be, and do your job with another driver! I'm sure the rookies would love the print or tv time! And by the way, Home Depo has some nerve! Whew, I think I'm done now!:)

Home Depot got an email from me..........I pulled no punches. Will post any answer I get but it will probably be that same form letter others have recieved. Lowes is a better store anyway, always was, but they are just now getting into So California.

We have had Lowes about 20 years and they just finished a Home Depo. I will not go in that store for any reason,--- but to meet Tony! I just want to see Tony happy and loving life again! Not this aplogetic, groveling, and shamefaced person. Yes, he did something wrong, and yes he should be sorry, but it's over! What's next Thankgiving and Christmas Dinner for Mr. Mook at Tony's house. How far does he have to go to convince people he's sorry!? Just get on with the anger managment class and let him deal with it in private.

Back
Top Bottom