Billy Monger racing again less than a year after losing both legs

gnomesayin

Team Owner
If you needed some inspiration today to overcome an obstacle in your life.

https://www.motorsport.com/bf3/news/monger-not-too-far-away-from-british-f3-deal-1005565/

Monger "not too far away" from British F3 deal
By: Stephen Lickorish, Journalist
2018-02-16

Billy Monger believes he is “not too far away” from securing a return to racing in the BRDC British Formula 3 Championship this year after completing more testing with Carlin.

Monger had his first run in a single-seater last week after suffering amputations to both of his legs following a horrific crash in a British F4 race at Donington Park last April.

He had a first test with Carlin at a snowy Oulton Park earlier this month and has also been on track at Brands Hatch as he works towards a deal to race in the series.

“I don’t think we’re too far away, I’ve got a few more sponsors to find,” Monger told Motorsport.com.

“It’s a bit overwhelming to think how far we’ve come but I’m grateful for the team for giving me the opportunity to show what I can do.

“It’s going well, I’ve been enjoying it. It’s a new car and new controls but I’m getting used to it.”

Monger has been testing in a specially-adapted British Formula 3 car after working with the series to make the alterations.“I’m braking with my [prosthetic] leg still and the rest of it is on the steering wheel,” he explained.

“The one thing that has really moved place is the throttle which is now on the left side of the wheel.

“On a normal car you would change [gear] up on the right side and down on the left but on mine they’re both on the same side.

“I’m doing more testing than I would’ve done if I hadn’t had my accident in terms of figuring out the controls.”

Since the crash Monger has only tested in Fun Cup machinery – to get his racing licence back – and has also performed in a stunt driving display at the Autosport International show.

“It was a big step up [getting in single-seater],” he added.

“I did some testing in a Fun Cup car and I’ve been doing a bit of stunt driving which was completely different for me but it was good to get back in the [single-seater] car. I’m back where I want to be.”

http://www.bbc.com/sport/motorsport/43606264

Billy Monger: Double amputee hails 'surreal' podium finish on British F3 debut

Double amputee Billy Monger says his third-place finish in the opening race of the British F3 championship at Oulton Park was "surreal".

The 18-year-old had both his legs amputated after a crash last year.

He was driving a specially adapted Tatuus Cosworth car, which has a throttle on its steering wheel and a single pedal for braking with his prosthetic leg.

"It's a bit surreal but an awesome feeling even to be back," he said.

"If you had told me that I'd have been on the podium first race of the year, I would probably have said you were lying to me.

"To get out there and prove I'm competitive is more than I could have ever have asked for."

Monger, who was involved in a near-fatal crash while racing in Formula 4 at Donington Park last April, started fifth before earning a podium place on his debut.

Linus Lundqvist won the race with Nicolai Kjaergaard in second.

Monger walked on to the podium to collect his trophy and received a rapturous reception.

"The first people I've got to thank are all the boys at Carlin for getting me back behind the wheel," he added.

"Especially Grahame 'Chily' Chilton, everyone who has supported me, people like Jonathan Palmer, family and friends and everyone that supported me after my accident, without that support I wouldn't have been out on the grid today, so it's great to be back."

Back
Top Bottom