Blocking Banned at Plate Tracks?

A

abooja

I think this is a great idea. Wondering how it'll be enforced...

From Jayski's:

Blocking to be watched: NASCAR is considering monitoring blocking during the October race at Talladega Superspeedway and could punish drivers who intentionally prevent passing. "It's gotten to be that the larger crashes have been caused by blocking," Winston Cup director John Darby said Sunday. "So we're starting by looking at what is a block because cars change lanes all the time and we have to figure out what the parameters are." There was heavy blocking in both races at Daytona International Speedway this season and the April event at Talladega, but NASCAR said it had no way to police the practice. So officials are now in discussion as to what they can do, and Darby said it's possible drivers will be penalized during the race.

Stupid, stupid, stupid! NASCAR keeps looking for ways to get out of the hole into which the dug themselves by coming up with BS little rules. OK, they managed to slow the cars down with restrictor plates but now they have to monitor all sorts of new dangers that have come up as a result of the tight racing quarters. When will they wake up to the fact that blocking is not the problem but the result of a problem, that of restrictor plates?

Not to be contentious, JG, but blocking doesn't only occur at plate races. It happened repeatedly yesterday, in fact. Just ask Robby Gordon. :)

Come on,... Blocking is part of racing. Isn't the point of the race to be the guy who doesn't get passed in the end. How do you do that, you block a guy if he's quicker. There's nothing wrong with that.

The problem is these cars cut through the air too well at big plate tracks, so they put a plate on it to make it slower. And the solution isn't slowing the cars down, becaues then they can't pass, so the only way to race is blocking. Blocking should be part of racing, but it shouldn't be racing.

They need to slow the track down. The banking at Daytona and Dega needs to be cut waaaay down. Sounds kinda sacreligous but its the only way.

It did happen a lot yesterday. Way too much and a couple of fairly drastic moves to block as well.

The plate tracks where the driver figures if he can get in front of the guy coming up and get a push to move up makes a little sense. But the stuff yesterday baffled me somewhat, I know track position is important, but we saw cars passing when they were strong enough.

Regulating blocking is real can of worms, NASCAR knows it and hopefully will let the drivers know that they should sort it out themselves.

the reason there's blocking going on is there's no place to pass!
Can you block at Atlanta? Charlotte? rockingham? or even Darlington?

Only on the one lane tracks or the plate tracks does blocking happen.

I long for the days when the cars could race without the words aero push or loose!

But this is what the sport has evolved into . I do believe the teams should be allowed to use all the resources thay have to get there cars around the track! I believe in burning the midnight oil to get ahead.

Let's go racing!

Blocking will go on as long as there are cars on the track. NASCAR will open a huge can of worms that they will never be able to get back in the can with this one.

Lowering the banking a Daytona and 'Dega, going to a truly "stock" body, and using a smaller engine should end the need for the plates.

And how do you penalize for blocking? It was going on all over the track yesterday? Who would determine who was blocking and what the penalty is? Would the race have to go under caution until the film is reviewed and the penalty handed down.

Hopefully this idea will get shot down.

This is ridiculous. There is no way to regulate blocking. They have a hard enough time enforcing going below the yellow line at daytona and 'dega. Going to a more stock body would definately help. You did not have the aero push or "the big one" when the cars were more block shaped.

I do not think lowering the banking is an option. The cost alone would make it impossible. Besides I like to see the cars roar around the banking. Besides Indy does not have hardly any banking and there was plenty of blocking there.

Been sitting here pondering this a bit. Came up to a problem I can't readily solve.

I can't define "blocking".

BTW, blocking has nothing to with plates or aero or aero push or any of the latter day developments in NASCAR. Even though stymied in an effort to define it, I do recognize it on occassion. The incident that put NASCAR on the map sorta when Cale and Donnie went at each other at Daytona started with a blatant case of "blocking"!

Dino, with the money ISC has in the bank, I don't think the France family will be out on the street.

I doubt they'd even notice the cost. Besides, the ticket prices would go up to recover the money spent.

I disagree TRL, ISC is in business to make money and you don't make money with stupid expenditures. If they tried to reduce the banking at Daytona or Dega it would probably cause the tracks to miss one or both races of that year.

Having rethought this some, I now agree with the rest of you that trying to regulate blocking is an impossible idea. I just thought that, at the plate tracks, it might reduce the chances of having "the big one", but perhaps not.

I don't see anything wrong with intelligent blocking at any of the other tracks.

I don't consider lowering the banking a stupid expenditure. It is a viable solution to the speed problem.

If the fix had started at Daytona the day after the 400, I bet the track would be ready in February. 'Dega might miss the spring race, granted.

So the 154 and the 223 just cut a deal thru their spotters to hook up nose to tail in an effort to get around some slower cars.

Looks like blocking when in fact a deal was cut.

Give the big red trailer to some poor local shortie driver to use as a hauler and let the racers race.

TRL is right. It could be done in time and would not break the bank. It would be cheaper than adding building a new track. Nascar seems to have plenty of money to do that.

All we're talking about essentially is some dirt work and paving. Redoing the wall would be the only other expense. I doubt it cost that much.

Just drop th restrictor plates and let them race!
What next?

I don't believe you would or could change tracks like daytona or dega. They are sacred to nascar (or maybe just me). I feel it would take away for the history and mystic of the tracks. I do not like the idea and do not think it would be a solution to blocking.

Blocking happens at every track. I agree with Paul, Let em block.

Wow new fuel tanks,No blocking What else,Maybe those go carts that they were playing on at Indy are really the future of Nascar,Hell Sadam Hussane doen't come up with new rules as much as the Roundheads at Nascar.The new Nascar Aero League has arrived. :bs:

:bs: :bs: and more:bs:

Anyone who honest to God believes that the wrecks are a result of ANYTHING except them damn plates, please let me know. I got all kinds of stuff I need to sell you.

These wrecks will diminish when and only when NASCAR gets rid of restrictor plates. Think back to when Bill Elliott was kicking everyones ass on the super speedways. I don't recall so many 27 car wrecks. I sincerely hope that crybaby DW is satisfied with what he helped introduce into our sport. When you can't pass someone you have no choice but to pile up.

TnWardFan,We gonna be sittin on our porces talking about the good ole days of stock car racing before we know it,You notice I didn't say Nascar Racing.:( Looks like Nascar has more on there plate than they can chew.:rolleyes:

With smaller fuel tanks and one or two penalties per lap for blocking that ought to break up the pack.
Here's my idea: put all the drivers up where the spotters are and run RC cars (remote control) around the track. you can still have the big one and nobody gets hurt.

Racer8,You may be on to something,Just don't tell Nascar,or they will knock you over getting to the Patent office. :p

Nascar should NOT try to restrict blocking! The more subjective the referee-ing gets by the officials, the worse it's gonna get.

Well welcome to the closest friends,and family of Fat Bastard Helton,The new racing refs.What a surprise.NOT :rolleyes:

Hey, new conspiracy theory. I think Walrus is really Mike Helton (he looks like one, have you seen that moustache lately?) Fess up Walrus!!!!!

1st
PB,
It Ain't So !!!! I swear it ain't.

2nd
HH,
Nnnnnnooooooooooooo. It ain't me man. I'm waaaaaaaay to poor. And by Helton's standards, skinny. HH, after all I've done to you, how could you think this???

Good night friends,momma says if I dont come to bed now,I ain't gonna even qualify for the front row.:D

Originally posted by Walrus_3
2nd
HH,
Nnnnnnooooooooooooo.  It ain't me man.  I'm waaaaaaaay to poor.  And by Helton's standards, skinny.  HH, after all I've done to you, how could you think this???

;)

Back
Top Bottom