Blue Thunder Large Port SB Head

W

Windsor377

I need to start by stating, Carey at CPF was good enough to send me his model cylinder head with his latest large port design.

I took it to a well known local shop to flow it, for the sake of credibility. For serious work I always use the SF 600 bench at Burtonsville Performance Machine in Laurel Md. The shop is very well known and respected locally. Many NHRA & IHRA SS and Stocker winners and record setters have come through the shop. Not to mention a lot of very successful race engines for a wide spectrum of classes/applications.

Their bench in known to be on the pessimistic side. It is NOT one of those "Happy" benches used in advertisements.

I asked Alan Calway (sp?) to be the operator. Alan is along time cylinder head guy around here and a prior IHRA C/A record holder.

We only flowed the intake, as this model head does not have Carey's latest exhaust port.

We used a 4.125 fixture and mounted the head as it would be on the cylinder. We adapted a splayed valve GM radius inlet that was laying around. It pinched the top and bottom a couple thousandths. We filled the sides and transitions with clay. The radius was 5/8" per Carey's direction.

The intake valve size is 2.260 w/5/16 stem.

Here are the numbers @ 28":

0.100 62
0.200 139
0.300 224
0.400 317
0.500 381
0.600 425
0.700 439
0.800 450
0.900 453
1.000 458

I am impressed. I'm getting a set.

i'm impressed, buy me a set also, hehe.

458 @ 1 is rollin. How much of an increase is this form your existing set? and will you have the exhaust saddled up soon?

Hey Nate! Cary said he'll "take care of me" on my set of heads. Bet I could get 2 sets at that price!...whatever it is?

My old heads flowed 383...this is goig to be one bad ride! The exhaust side is waiting on a new casting. Should be in next week. Then probably a couple weeks to get it right! Yeah buddy! Hopefully Jesel and JE will be quick onm their side of the deal!

wow, thats amazing that it can jump that much. hell ya. I am asuming you are getting new guts in there from jesel and JE to pack this newfound glorly in? hehe

Yeah, everything is new, including the casting. Cary didn't have the final prototype at the time, so all he could send me was the finished intake model. The exhaust will be rasied .300" over am SC1. I'm guessing it should flow in the 330 ~ 340 range once he's finished.

Jesel is coming up with a hole new deal for the head. Two actually. One uses a single base for all the rocker pedestals, the other will be similar to what I have now. Each intake and exhaust pair are positioned and welded together.

The first is good if you don't plan one moving your valve locations around. I just don't kow yet if it will give me the option to adjust vertical locations on the fly (change valves and one set has a different stem height than another). The second style, you need to break he welds and re-position and re-weld.

I ran across this when I started spraying. I swapped out the Delwest Ti exhaust for a set of Manely Inconels. They had a longer stem them my Delwest intake...DOH!!!

Back
Top Bottom