Bold Predictions from the year 2000

Yea, I'd say that Mike Wallace got the age of the driver's right. Rusty was right about there being more multi-car teams rather than competitive one car teams. Rusty was also right about shops becoming bigger and teams owning jets to get to the races. The article was right about engineers becoming more prevalent in the series.

Sadlly, they were wrong about the growth of the series.

“Daddy say I gon’ be fayster than Dayle”
Yeah that 1 career cup start has him well on his way here 18 years later.

Interesting article no doubt........ just shows how how silly some statements look 20 years down the road..... Sometimes the least said makes you look better later in life.

It’s unfortunate that the young Wallace’s statement made it into print where others will have the privilege of laughing at it. I know I just did, is he still racing at any level anyone know?

It’s unfortunate that the young Wallace’s statement made it into print where others will have the privilege of laughing at it. I know I just did, is he still racing at any level anyone know?
Late models

``What we want to see is the drivers and their skills win races and not an engineer sitting in Los Angeles,' says Brian France, NASCAR's senior vice president.

Los Angeles ????

Just wonderin' if Brian has found out that most teams have been based out of the Charlotte area for some time now.

Yea, I'd say that Mike Wallace got the age of the driver's right. Rusty was right about there being more multi-car teams rather than competitive one car teams. Rusty was also right about shops becoming bigger and teams owning jets to get to the races. The article was right about engineers becoming more prevalent in the series.

Sadlly, they were wrong about the growth of the series.
Mikhael Waltrip said drivers will get younger.
Car owner Felix Sabates predicts that NASCAR will race in Europe and South America within five years. Done, Canada also.

An indoor track didn't happen in Nascar. See Chili bowl, but the rest of it is pretty close:
An indoor track would be one of many changes for future fans. More amenities will be added from RV lots with cable and Internet hookups to the stands where headgear will allow fans to watch in-car camera views and see a car's speed, throttle control and brake usage. Those changes will be needed to keep up with technology that will bring fans watching at home closer to the sport.

Rusty Rusty Rusty: see Daytona and Talladega.
``Personally, I think in the near future, in the next 10 years, I don't think there are going to be any road courses,' Rusty Wallace says. ``I don't think there's going to be tracks over a mile and a half.'

``Why not?' Stephen says.

``Because there have been too much of failures with 2-mile race tracks,' Rusty says. ``They're too big. They're so big that competition is good but not as good as at the tracks that are a little smaller.'

This is pretty close I think:
Jay Novak, Ford's NASCAR program manager, is more grounded in his vision.

``I don't see big technological changes in terms of the chassis,' he says. ``I think that NASCAR is extremely happy in the direction of the way they're going in controlling costs and the proliferation of technology. They don't want their cars to be extremely complex.'

I do have to agree with Stephen, banked road courses be something different...I guess we kinda get one this season but if all tye turns were.

I wish Rusty's would come true, Darlington should be the biggest track on the circuit without right turns

``What we want to see is the drivers and their skills win races and not an engineer sitting in Los Angeles,' says Brian France, NASCAR's senior vice president. The relevance between drivers and engineers is currently being played out.

Back
Top Bottom