bone head

NASCAR for committing live crowd suicide putting this race in September during the day. Place was packed in March and 1/4 full today

Nothing stands out. These guys had their hands full with these cars today.

Here’s one: Las Vegas Motor Speedway for continuing to have that giant gap in the inside backstretch wall.

Jeff Gordon easily could’ve been killed in ‘08. A decade later cars are still finding a way to hit the wall in that spot. Luckily Briscoe and Stenhouse were okay.

Here’s one: Las Vegas Motor Speedway for continuing to have that giant gap in the inside backstretch wall.

Jeff Gordon easily could’ve been killed in ‘08. A decade later cars are still finding a way to hit the wall in that spot. Luckily Briscoe and Stenhouse were okay.
It looks like they changed it to me :idunno:

upload_2018-9-16_7-36-55-png.36157

NASCAR for committing live crowd suicide putting this race in September during the day. Place was packed in March and 1/4 full today
we all know this date is temporary.
vegas will soon displace homestead in november soon.

Kevin Harvick, for trying to blame Goodyear for his own self-induced problems. It's amazing how other drivers manage to race week after week without accusing Goodyear of supplying defective, inconsistent, or sub-par products. Below is an exact quote...

“Well, there was something wrong from the time we put the tires on. It was like Russian roulette every time you put these piece of crap tires on and try to drive around the race track. One time it is tight, one time it is loose, one time they are blistered. We had a great car and then you put a set of tires on it and you can’t hardly make it through the field.”

Kevin Harvick, for trying to blame Goodyear for his own self-induced problems. It's amazing how other drivers manage to race week after week without accusing Goodyear of supplying defective, inconsistent, or sub-par products. Below is an exact quote...

“Well, there was something wrong from the time we put the tires on. It was like Russian roulette every time you put these piece of crap tires on and try to drive around the race track. One time it is tight, one time it is loose, one time they are blistered. We had a great car and then you put a set of tires on it and you can’t hardly make it through the field.”

"I'm not happy about anything"
-Kevin Harvick

I really dont know if there is anyone thing from the actual race that is worthy enough of the BHOTW award, one could give it to NASCAR for scheduling the race in early Sept when its still hot, but , I think that is what helped make the racing better, the hot slick track, :idunno:

Ohh wait, I know who gets the BHOTW award, NBC/NBC Sports, for their back to back scheduling of the Cup race and Indy car race on the same channel with only a 30 minute buffer between the two races.

Ohh wait, I know who gets the BHOTW award, NBC/NBC Sports, for their back to back scheduling of the Cup race and Indy car race on the same channel with only a 30 minute buffer between the two races.

If it goes according to plan, NBC delivers the IndyCar finale a much stronger lead-in and higher potential audience than would otherwise be possible. With too big of a gap between the races, that effect is lessened.

The past two seasons have featured races with fewer cautions that don't run over generally, so I understand why they didn't anticipate a problem. I'm not into watching much post-race stuff anymore. I can see why those who are were annoyed by the need to rush off to Sonoma for a much less popular event.

I mean, that just isn't true whatsoever. Google it.

Rodney's explanation was that the tires were inconsistent across different shift codes.

Rodney's explanation was that the tires were inconsistent across different shift codes.

My dad was a quality control inspector in a tire plant for 32 years. Rubber and plastic, even those made from the exact same batch of raw material can very somewhat from mold to mold. It might depend on how hot the mold is, or if the product is not left in long enough or too long, or other unknown factors, but it IS entirely possible that Childers is right and tires built at different times could very somewhat different in ways probably only a racecar driver could feel. Even how the tire carcass is put together by the tire builder and how he runs and wraps the different layers of material can very slightly from builder to builder or tire to tire. On a passenger car tire it likely would never be noticed, but a race tire running in that 1% envelope, well, that's a different matter. Frankly, after paying attention to these things most of my life and dealing with Hoosier tires in my ARCA stint, I have never been greatly impressed by Goodyear's quality control or batch variance, but that is based only on being an interested observer. I have never had any direct dealings with Goodyear race tires.

My dad was a quality control inspector in a tire plant for 32 years. Rubber and plastic, even those made from the exact same batch of raw material can very somewhat from mold to mold. It might depend on how hot the mold is, or if the product is not left in long enough or too long, or other unknown factors, but it IS entirely possible that Childers is right and tires built at different times could very somewhat different in ways probably only a racecar driver could feel. Even how the tire carcass is put together by the tire builder and how he runs and wraps the different layers of material can very slightly from builder to builder or tire to tire. On a passenger car tire it likely would never be noticed, but a race tire running in that 1% envelope, well, that's a different matter. Frankly, after paying attention to these things most of my life and dealing with Hoosier tires in my ARCA stint, I have never been greatly impressed by Goodyear's quality control or batch variance, but that is based only on being an interested observer. I have never had any direct dealings with Goodyear race tires.
I worked for a company that made several types of tire testing equipment. The equipment could put different types of loads on the tire while it rotates. I'm guessing Goodyear uses the equipment to evaluate race tires in addition to track testing.

LVMS needs to take a look at coming up with a better opening there. It looks like they reconfigured it mid 2006.

LVMS needs to take a look at coming up with a better opening there. It looks like they reconfigured it mid 2006.

They need to move the section closer to the turn out towards the track about 10 ft and extend it so the 2 sections overlap, leaving a 10 foot opening that faces away from traffic flow for safety vehicles to enter the track. That's the only way to eliminate impacts on the section of wall that faces the path of sliding cars.

They need to move the section closer to the turn out towards the track about 10 ft and extend it so the 2 sections overlap, leaving a 10 foot opening that faces away from traffic flow for safety vehicles to enter the track. That's the only way to eliminate impacts on the section of wall that faces the path of sliding cars.

Correct. The fact that ANY part of that fence curves inward into oncoming traffic is BAD design pure and simple. The wall sections should be completely parallel to each other and overlap 20-30 feet.

Correct. The fact that ANY part of that fence curves inward into oncoming traffic is BAD design pure and simple. The wall sections should be completely parallel to each other and overlap 20-30 feet.

Why 20 - 30 feet? It seems like just 5 feet of overlap would require the car to reverse direction in order to hit the end of the interior wall. I ask this because 20 -30 feet might affect pit entry at some tracks.

It reduces the chance of some weird ricochet that would possibly send a car into an unprotected area, or hitting at a bad angle. You can kind of predict where cars can go in a single car crash. Once they start bouncing off each other and smashing into each other, all bets are off. Also in my opinion, the first few pit stalls at many tracks are a disaster waiting to happen too, because they are exposed to cars spinning off the track. Whenever I was doing pit stops at the far turn four end of tracks like Michigan, I always tried to keep an eye open for turn four. If we had an extra warm body with a headset in the pits, I would tell them to watch that area while we were over the wall. I am also not a fan of tracks that don't have a wall between the race track and the pits. One time at Chicago our own car spun at the start finish line and almost crashed into our pit stall.

If it goes according to plan, NBC delivers the IndyCar finale a much stronger lead-in and higher potential audience than would otherwise be possible. With too big of a gap between the races, that effect is lessened.

The past two seasons have featured races with fewer cautions that don't run over generally, so I understand why they didn't anticipate a problem. I'm not into watching much post-race stuff anymore. I can see why those who are were annoyed by the need to rush off to Sonoma for a much less popular event.
I understand they why, the bonehead was more not giving themselves more of a buffer between the two races.

Well, at least he wasn't blaming his pit crew this time :)!

It reduces the chance of some weird ricochet that would possibly send a car into an unprotected area, or hitting at a bad angle. You can kind of predict where cars can go in a single car crash. Once they start bouncing off each other and smashing into each other, all bets are off. Also in my opinion, the first few pit stalls at many tracks are a disaster waiting to happen too, because they are exposed to cars spinning off the track. Whenever I was doing pit stops at the far turn four end of tracks like Michigan, I always tried to keep an eye open for turn four. If we had an extra warm body with a headset in the pits, I would tell them to watch that area while we were over the wall. I am also not a fan of tracks that don't have a wall between the race track and the pits. One time at Chicago our own car spun at the start finish line and almost crashed into our pit stall.

I agree about the pit wall, even though it creates a danger to drivers. They are in protected cars...and making the big bucks.

Gordon hit concrete and Briscoe hit a safer barrier and he didn't hit any opening or even the curved part. But I did enjoy Burton sounding like a billy goat.

upload_2018-9-17_17-3-18.png

Back
Top Bottom