Bonehead of the week: Bristol

MRM

Team Owner
My nominee for bonehead of the week is Goodyear. They were supposed to have an extra set of tires ready for the teams when the race resumed. Something happened to the truck and it didn't get there in time. That caused the teams not to get their extra set until late in the race. This altered some of the teams' stragedies late in the race.

My nominee for bonehead of the week is Goodyear. They were supposed to have an extra set of tires ready for the teams when the race resumed. Something happened to the truck and it didn't get there in time. That caused the teams not to get their extra set until late in the race. This altered some of the teams' stragedies late in the race.
Considering the amount of lead time I suspect they were given (likely Saturday night), I think they did well to get them there at all. Teams knew the tires hadn't arrived when they restarted the race.
Bayne's agent who forgot to tell him to pack his talent for the road this week.
Didn't he finish 12th? :blink:

Bayne needed to put training wheels on it and stay up top out of the way holding on to the rail

NASCAR for calling a penalty on Hemric's car that wasn't a penalty and having to reverse it.

McDowell the mcdoofus for me.

My non-Chase Elliott fan self would pick NASCAR for even trying to race on Sunday. I felt the constant starting and stopping was unfair to all parties involved. Drivers, teams, fans, media, etc. I heard on the radio that at the drop of the green to start the race, some teams were still assembling their pit boxes/carts because nobody thought they would start. That's how rushed it was.

Trevor Bayne for causing the pileup that took out Ryan Blaney.

many times penalties are reversed, that is why teams have the right to the appeals process.

It didn't go through the appeals process. NASCAR got around to reading their rules book and realized that what they, the writer of the rules, thought was a penalty wasn't a penalty in the Xfinity series. Besides the fact that it was the second refereeing mistake they had made in 2 weeks - it almost cost Hemric his ability to race for 100K.

As Bugs would say, "What a bunch of maroons."

Last edited:
It didn't go through the appeals process. NASCAR got around to reading their rules book and realized that what they, the writer of the rules, thought was a penalty wasn't a penalty in the Xfinity series. Besides the fact that it was the second refereeing mistake they had made in 2 weeks - it almost cost Hemric his ability to race for 100K.

As Bugs would say, "What a bunch of maroons."
It was appealed..but carry on

McDowell, but cant hate on him to much cuz he's from where I'm from (Phoenix, AZ) and Bayne for being Bayne. The Bayne train has derailed.

It was appealed..but carry on

That's interesting because the reports on the internet don't state it was appealed. Matter of fact Wayne Auton stated, “We felt like we needed to get ahead of this one. We’re man enough to stand here and say that we looked at it wrong. It’s just a mistake that we made.”

McDowell, but cant hate on him to much cuz he's from where I'm from (Phoenix, AZ) and Bayne for being Bayne. The Bayne train has derailed.
The bayne train was never on the track as far as I am concerned. Three years after he won a plate race and he had two top tens with one being another plate track. What sis Roush do, sign him up full time geesh. 4 top fives after that with over 100 races, two of the four plate tracks.

Sounds like their fault. The start time was announced well in advance. If they didn't think was going to start, how is that NASCAR's fault?
same for Goodyear, they got caught in the lurch because with all of the rain cautions in addition to the other cautions the teams ran out of tires. I can't fault Goodyear, and nobody ran out, but some teams had to stretch a bit.

NASCAR. Starting the race on Sunday only to have to postpone it until Monday was inevitable.

that is some great 20/20 hindsight right there. :D
Come on, man, this happens nearly every year. :D
2014 - A seemingly never-ending race at Bristol that had been delayed numerous times throughout the day finally is won by Carl Edwards in a 1-2 finish for RFR.
2015 - Another Bristol race blighted by delays is finally claimed by Matt Kenseth, who had gone over 50 races without a win up to that point.
Can't remember if 2016 actually ran on schedule or not.
2017 - The race is delayed until Monday, and it becomes a scrap between Jimmie Johnson, Martin Truex, Jr., and Clint Bowyer. Jimmie comes out on top for what is only his second Bristol victory.

Come on, man, this happens nearly every year. :D
2014 - A seemingly never-ending race at Bristol that had been delayed numerous times throughout the day finally is won by Carl Edwards in a 1-2 finish for RFR.
2015 - Another Bristol race blighted by delays is finally claimed by Matt Kenseth, who had gone over 50 races without a win up to that point.
Can't remember if 2016 actually ran on schedule or not.
2017 - The race is delayed until Monday, and it becomes a scrap between Jimmie Johnson, Martin Truex, Jr., and Clint Bowyer. Jimmie comes out on top for what is only his second Bristol victory.

tell ya what, next time rain threatens, believe that they won't try to get the race in and see where ya go with that. :D

Chad Johnston for not pitting Larson for fresh tires when the race resumed on Monday, like every other team did. What made him think that Larson couldn't have driven to the front again, even if some others didn't pit. Larson had the fastest car, the best way to screw that up is to take a risk and not pit. Risks are for when you don't have the best car and you need to leverage strategy. Larson was a sitting duck on old tires at the end of stage 2. Likely cost a stage win.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Chad Johnston for not pitting Larson for fresh tires when the race resumed on Monday, like every other team did. What made him think that Larson couldn't have driven to the front again, even if some others didn't pit. Larson had the fastest car, the best way to screw that up is to take a risk and not pit. Risks are for when you don't have the best car and you need to leverage strategy. Larson was a sitting duck on old tires at the end of stage 2. Likely cost a stage win.

They lose stages late just like they lose races late

Ya, and I don't think that is all on Larson. He had some restart issues in the past but i think he has improved in that regard Some say he overdrives the car, but he pretty much dominated the race then after the last pit stop all of a sudden in the last 30 laps he overdrives the car? Maybe he just can't handle the pressure or maybe they just don't make the right adjustments. He said he was loose, so what gives. I could be wrong but so far I am not a Chad Johnston fan. Listened to Larson's radio every race for 2 years and there are a number of head scratching calls. Funny how KB is damn near crashing then they put it together at the end. Ya he is a phenomenal driver but I think you gotta give Adam Stevens some credit.

same for Goodyear, they got caught in the lurch because with all of the rain cautions in addition to the other cautions the teams ran out of tires. I can't fault Goodyear, and nobody ran out, but some teams had to stretch a bit.

Truck delivering the tires got a flay......:XXROFL:

Ya, and I don't think that is all on Larson. He had some restart issues in the past but i think he has improved in that regard Some say he overdrives the car, but he pretty much dominated the race then after the last pit stop all of a sudden in the last 30 laps he overdrives the car? Maybe he just can't handle the pressure or maybe they just don't make the right adjustments. He said he was loose, so what gives. I could be wrong but so far I am not a Chad Johnston fan. Listened to Larson's radio every race for 2 years and there are a number of head scratching calls. Funny how KB is damn near crashing then they put it together at the end. Ya he is a phenomenal driver but I think you gotta give Adam Stevens some credit.

I can't go too hard at Bristol, Johnson told Larson to stay out of the inside it would help preserve his tires. Larson did not do that. Now the set up after the last stop? who knows. Ky Bu's car was a tic better. Personally I think Ky Bu not only has tons more experience, he is better at telling Stevens what he needs.

I can't go too hard at Bristol, Johnson told Larson to stay out of the inside it would help preserve his tires. Larson did not do that. Now the set up after the last stop? who knows. Ky Bu's car was a tic better. Personally I think Ky Bu not only has tons more experience, he is better at telling Stevens what he needs.
KB is much better at relaying info, Larson is the new breed of "hey I'm here with my helmet and suit", Let the engineers figure it out kinda guy.

KB is much better at relaying info, Larson is the new breed of "hey I'm here with my helmet and suit", Let the engineers figure it out kinda guy.
he doesn't have any experience on pavement either. Bell is the same way. Not so for Kyle Busch, he is one of the few that has a pretty good idea how to get one right.

he doesn't have any experience on pavement either. Bell is the same way. Not so for Kyle Busch, he is one of the few that has a pretty good idea how to get one right.
Kyle B reminds me of Bobby Allison, Bobby could build it, set it up and drive the hell out of it.

A bit off topic.

This is why I think Suarez is going to be dangerous in the future, he's learned and talked to Kyle non-stop about feedback in Xfinity and Trucks. Remember, when Ky. Busch drove Suarez's car at Darlington a couple of years back? From that point on, it seemed like he got better at dialing his car in.

Blaney, Suarez, and Elloitt are by far the best at driver feedback out of the "new generation."

A bit off topic.

This is why I think Suarez is going to be dangerous in the future, he's learned and talked to Kyle non-stop about feedback in Xfinity and Trucks. Remember, when Ky. Busch drove Suarez's car at Darlington a couple of years back? From that point on, it seemed like he got better at dialing his car in.

Blaney, Suarez, and Elloitt are by far the best at driver feedback out of the "new generation."
You can add a few others also, Preece, JH Nemecheck, Hemrick etc...

Back
Top Bottom