Bonehead of the week: Daytona II

MRM

Team Owner
It looked for a while like the bonehead would come down between Stenhouse, Bowyer, and Dillon. But they were let off the hook by NASCAR. They messed up their caution situation by saying one to go until green causing Kurt Busch and others to pit, only to rescind that and have to throw the red flag. Then, they go through a 2 hour charade of thinking they'd get the race going again, and hoping they would, just to keep a rent-a-ride team from winning the race.

It looked for a while like the bonehead would come down between Stenhouse, Bowyer, and Dillon. But they were let off the hook by NASCAR. They messed up their caution situation by saying one to go until green causing Kurt Busch and others to pit, only to rescind that and have to throw the red flag. Then, they go through a 2 hour charade of thinking they'd get the race going again, and hoping they would, just to keep a rent-a-ride team from winning the race.
Wasn't NASCAR's fault that there was a second lightning strike that forced them to wave off the "one to go" decision. NASCAR can't control the weather, and it's not like "one-to-go" decisions haven't ever been waved off before.

And NASCAR usually does spend a long time trying to resume a race - they weren't doing it in this case "just to keep a rent-a-ride team from winning the race".

I have to go with Dillion, boneheaded move that really changed the complexion of the race early.. Seeing another tattoo on the horizon, he didn't give up an obvious pass by Boyer and wrecked or damaged half of the field. This wasn't a Kez corner bump by Boyer, he was all the way up to Dillion's rear tire.

Daytona puts drivers in an almost impossible situation. Generally, you have to block to have a chance of winning (or go the Haley route.) You have to bump and side draft. Your supposed to follow team orders. A lot of drivers have tenuous careers so they probably take chances they wouldn't ordinarily take. You've got fan pressure, sponsor(s) pressure, team pressure, car make pressure, media pressure, Nascar PR pressure, and probably more I haven't thought of. Listening to your radio traffic, paying attention to your car (temp/brakes/tires/handling, etc.) and track lines, who's racing you, debris, flagman and caution lights, pit road and where your pit stall is, slower cars, etc. And then trying to handle all this a 200 mph at a track like Daytona. It's no wonder we see a lot of decisions go bad and then we fans get to critique them.

Gotta go with Keselowski for running his mouth all weekend about not lifting if somebody blocks him and then getting punted when he blocked and got turned by a driver who didn’t lift.

What the heck race did you watch? Kez didn't block. He got run into from behind by the 4 trying to move their lane. Ran out of talent at the moment, but wasn't blocking.....

I'd have to say the 3. Who was blocking....

Austin Dillon and his spotter who decided it was cool to wipe out half the field and nearly every competitive car.

What the heck race did you watch? Kez didn't block. He got run into from behind by the 4 trying to move their lane.......

Watching the race thread live with people saying karma and blocking was so funny. He didnt block at all, he literally backed into Harvick with the run the 4 centipede had comin.

Also lol at the Harvick ain’t liftin comments, it ruined his day too.

Did he try to blame his spotter?
I'm sure it was all Dillon
They played the audio on tv during a replay, and the spotter did clear him (Dillon) to come down. He told the team that he cleared him as well. Still, given how Dillon justified dumping Almirola to win the 500 because "he was blocking," I wouldn't cut AD any slack here.

So many choices this weekend..... Maybe Austin Dillon for blocking like what are you doing?? Let him go by drift back up to the top lane and make another go of it. Could it be "I'm Not Going to Lift" Brad Keselowski running his mouth and then getting dumped? How about NASCAR for initially moving this race off of July 4th itself to run prime time to experience nothing but weather problems this whole week, then moving the race weekend itself to Indy next July ( Good luck with that) and then stretch out this weather delay for 2 hours, just call it already? But my nomination goes to Dillon, he literally wrecked half the field with that crazy move.

Wasn't NASCAR's fault that there was a second lightning strike that forced them to wave off the "one to go" decision. NASCAR can't control the weather, and it's not like "one-to-go" decisions haven't ever been waved off before.

And NASCAR usually does spend a long time trying to resume a race - they weren't doing it in this case "just to keep a rent-a-ride team from winning the race".
The lightning clock should have started with the first strike, not the second. That, plus waiting so long to concede the race being over is why I gave it to NASCAR.

It’s brad. It’s been a minute since he reminded us who he really can be. I couldn’t stand him and his dad carrying on years ago... brad was causing all kinds of carnage then and someone finally didn’t put up with it.

I never thought I’d give harvick credit for anything again. But wow, it played out so epic.

I love the sequence of events from brads public address to watching him trapped in every bad spot in the pack and then harvick just ‘accidentally’ bumping him. Just a racin deal it looked like to me... :dirtbike::dirtbike::dirtbike:

Thank you Kevin.

Gotta go with Keselowski for running his mouth all weekend about not lifting if somebody blocks him and then getting punted when he blocked and got turned by a driver who didn’t lift.
Ditto.

Brad. Seriously, that guy is kind of like Denny. He seems to have some serious brain fade at crucial moments.

On a sidenote, that's not the first time Kevin Harvick has given BK a little nudge. :growl:

Few things are better than Brad and the bully leaving their mark on the wall :pbjtime:

The lightning clock should have started with the first strike, not the second. That, plus waiting so long to concede the race being over is why I gave it to NASCAR.
The second lightning strike started a new (second) lightning clock.

Back
Top Bottom