Bowman has anxiety?

Bowman mentioned to his crew chief over the radio that the restarts and end of races he gets anxious sometimes, which is completely normal. Jim Utter was playing off that conversation to make the hashtag. He was not mocking chemical unbalanced anxiety disorders that can be debilitating.

Is it in poor taste? Probably.
Is it worth the faux outrage? No.

As I said in another post, being unaware of the context and making one up just to spread fear or outrage is unnecessary.

I can't speak for Alex but a championship in the 88 this year and in the 48 next year would do wonders for my anxiety. But if that doesn't happen, just knowing he gave it his all and did the best that he could do will be sufficient for this fan. Rock on bro.

Utter got drilled because he is drillable.

Utter is getting smoked because of his attacks on Barstool. Then he turns around and mocks someone for anxiety. Obviously Barstool is a bit tacky (albeit funny) but at least they aren't actually making fun of something like that.

As someone who deals with pretty bad anxiety, I think I have a right to be mad at Jim for what he said. Screw him.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

As someone who deals with pretty bad anxiety, I think I have a right to be mad at Jim for what he said. Screw him.

Does it make you feel better that Jim said that his tweet was not at all intended to mock anyone with an anxiety disorder (it was a play on a humorous radio chatter exchange between Alex and Ives) and that him and Alex had a great conversation later on?

Does it make you feel better that Jim said that his tweet was not at all intended to mock anyone with an anxiety disorder (it was a play on a humorous radio chatter exchange between Alex and Ives) and that him and Alex had a great conversation later on?

That’s good and all, I still think he shouldn’t have done it. But at least they talked about it.

And the other thing we learned is jim utter is an utter

Im with alex and everyone else admitting to anxiety battles. Im there. It really sucks. Some days you can do whatever. Some days you have to TRY REALLY hard to do that same ‘what ever’

Just so I'm clear, my understanding is that Alex said he 'gets anxious' during restarts. Did he mean he was concerned at those times, or has he been clinically diagnosed with an anxiety issue?

So is the next word Not to be uttered upon penalty of career death going to be
" anxious " ??

I don't think Jim Utter had malicious intent with his tweets, just joking in poor taste. But the way he handled it was problematic. Waited a full day to apologize, blocked anyone who pointed out the error of his tweet, and pretty much blamed others in his apology sequence instead of just admitting his tweet was in poor taste.

I'm not going to say he deserves to lose his job over this because I'm tired of the cancel culture stuff. But criticism is certainly fair.

It seems like if he does lose his job over this it'll be a straw that broke the camel's back scenario. Not many people like him from what I see.

Just so I'm clear, my understanding is that Alex said he 'gets anxious' during restarts. Did he mean he was concerned at those times, or has he been clinically diagnosed with an anxiety issue?
Don't know. What I can tell you as a mental health professional, is that there are MANY anxiety disorders in the DSM-5 with varying degrees of severity. And there are many folks who can function just fine who may never need a diagnosis, despite meeting criteria for one if they were to ever be assessed. Individuals who meet diagnositic criteria for any disorder may be high functioning enough to avoid a circumstance where an evaluation or diagnosis is necessary.

For example, Borderline Personality Disorder has amongst the greatest amounts of undiagnosed cases. Personality disorders are more severe than anxiety disorders, usually. And often, they go untreated and undiagnosed without necessarily needing to be treated or diagnosed. Just food for thought.

These could be normal nerves for Alex. Could be symptoms of something else. We have no idea. What we do know, is that he feels something enough to share it. Without thinking too clinically about this, the question I have is what is it that has motivated Alex to share whatever it is he is feeling?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1950's artist Nervous Norvus couldn't muster up enough courage to play a live show but wrote a hit song about blood transfusions from his habitual speeding habits. Maybe Bowman has a sliver of that gene.

Bull $hit There is nothing wrong with people other than they are not perfect and some don't excel as much where others do. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them. It sure does provide a good income for those who like to play mind games with other peoples anxious moments.

As someone who struggles with anxiety and depression quite a bit (I probably should she a therapist at some point), I have gained a lot of respect for Bowman for being open about it. We as a society try to act perfect, but we really aren't. Not to get religious for a minute, but I'm glad I have Jesus in my life.

Bull $hit There is nothing wrong with people other than they are not perfect and some don't excel as much where others do. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them. It sure does provide a good income for those who like to play mind games with other peoples anxious moments.
Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not...but you aren't calling the legitimacy of mental illness.. Bull $hit... Are you?

What is just appalling to me are the ones who can't wait to jump down somebodies throat at the least little thing. Utter said it was a bad joke, apologized and moved on. Get off the cross we need the wood.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not...but you aren't calling the legitimacy of mental illness.. Bull $hit... Are you?

Nope but there a lot of doctors who treat these people who are no better off.
Everyone has some mental illness thus the saying "Not Perfect"

Back
Top Bottom