Breaking News..... NFL Football is a Rough Sport!

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
OK..... As a Steelers fan I'm unable to be unbiased on this as one of my teams players, James Harrison, was fined for his tackle on two different Browns players this past weekend. This is a tough sport. How do they determine an intention or an unintentional act to cause injury to another player? This rule is going to be open to quite a bit of debate IMO.

I think the rule is way too open to interpretation. I can see this radically changing the way the game is played. Offenses should now be able to go over the middle with impunity. The majority of fans, at least casual fans, really love offense.

The only thing I find funny about this whole thing is James Harrison saying he is so upset over this that he just might retire. Yeah, he's gonna leave $30 million or so on the table. Sure he is. ;)

i think a better and more immediate option would be to award additional yards to the team whose player was injured. Make it big enough that the coaches will enforce helmet to helmet hits in the teams own interest. say tack on 30 yards to wherever the ball was to be spotted after the play. if a receiver gets hit 20 yards downfield and drops the ball after a helmet to helmet hit. he would get the pass interference call plus an additional 30 yards. that's 50 yards total on the play. coaches wouldn't be too keen on that if a clean tackle would have done the job even if the pass was completed.

i think steeler fans don't have to worry too much about harrison retiring. <g>

I like Joe Paterno's idea.Take their facemasks off the helmets.Then they will quit leading with their heads.

I like Joe Paterno's idea.Take their facemasks off the helmets.Then they will quit leading with their heads.

I wish I could find the article, but one current player said he liked to hurt people -- to put them out of the game. He said that if they just sat out one series of downs, he didn't do a good enough job.

I find this disturbing. When did the "game of football" change into something I'm not sure I like.

I wish I could find the article, but one current player said he liked to hurt people -- to put them out of the game. He said that if they just sat out one series of downs, he didn't do a good enough job.

The article that you are talking about was an interview with James Harrison of the Steelers. Someone sent me the link the day after the hit but I'm unable to locate it now.

Helmet to helmet hits have occurred since the second helmet was worn. It's going to continue to happen as long as the sport is in existence. Hasn't anyone here ever played the game at least at the high school level? Many times you make a tackle by leading with shoulder. A running back pushes his way through the line shoulder first when he comes up on a defensive player. Guess what's on top of those shoulders. It's going to continue to happen until we have them all wearing flags out there. It's a rough sport.

Back
Top Bottom