BREAKING TONIGHT: Lloyd Moore, NASCAR's oldest driver, dies at 95

D

Digger

Lloyd Moore, a NASCAR pioneer who ran 49 races between 1949 -- the first year of what is now the Sprint Cup Series -- and 1955, died Sunday. He was 95.

Moore posted 13 top-fives and 23 top-10s with one win, at Winchester, Ind., on Oct. 15, 1950.

Moore, who lived in the Frewsburg, N.Y., house in which he was born on June 8, 1912, also died in the same home.

A school bus driver in the early 1930s, Moore also worked as a mechanic in a Studebaker garage. He made his NASCAR debut on Oct. 2, 1949, at Heidelberg Raceway in Pittsburgh, Pa., Moore finished sixth behind Lee Petty.

"I was saddened to learn of the passing of Lloyd Moore yesterday," seven-time Cup Series champion Richard Petty said in a statement. "He was a joy to be around. Lloyd was a connection to origin of NASCAR. Talking to him was like taking a trip down memory lane, for me, because he raced against my dad. I still have memories of those races. He would come by the house after a lot of the races because he and daddy were good friends.

"So I knew Lloyd from the time I was a young kid and I am proud to say that we developed a great friendship over the years. Lloyd was a great driver and a great person. He will truly be missed."

Moore's final start came on Sept. 5, 1955, at Darlington. He finished 24th in the 69-car field that included winner Herb Thomas, Tim Flock, Buck Baker, Everett "Cotton" Owens, Marvin Panch, Lee Petty, Joe Weatherly, Curtis Turner and Glenn "Fireball" Roberts.

Moore is survived by his wife, Virginia; six children; 14 grandchildren; and 32 great-grandchildren.

http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlines/cup/05/19/lmoore.obit/index.html

Back
Top Bottom