Eagle1

Sounds like the man means business :mellow:

Bristol Article

BMS could lose both NASCAR races if Sullivan enacts tax

BY RICK WAGNER
BRISTOL HERALD COURIER
Wednesday, April 23, 2003 Printer-Friendly Version
Email This Story

Bristol Motor Speedway could lose both its NASCAR race weekends if Sullivan County enacts an entertainment tax that applies to race tickets, Speedway Motorsports head Bruton Smith said Tuesday.
"If we can be taxed out of business, you know what will happen. It's not going to be a threat, it's going to be something that will happen," he said. "We will do anything to prevent it that we can, taking a drastic measure of even moving."

Smith is chief executive officer and chairman of the board of Speedway Motorsports, which owns the Bristol track and five others.

He was responding to discussion of a 10 percent countywide entertainment tax put forth by County Commissioner Mark Vance of Bristol. The discussion came during a county committee meeting in Blountville Monday.

According to estimates from the Bristol Chamber of Commerce, the Bristol track has a $397 million direct impact per year on the region's economy and a more than $1.79 billion indirect annual impact.

Race tickets already are subject to state and local sales tax of 9.25 percent, and that tax is included in a ticket's face value.

At a minimum, Smith said, the track would lose at least one major race to another Speedway Motorsports-owned track if the county enacted an entertainment tax; however, he said the company otherwise had "no plans at this time to move" races from Bristol.

Smith said he recently visited the governor and lawmakers in Georgia and that officials there urged him to move any available race dates to the Atlanta track.

"It's a slippery slope," County Executive Richard Venable said Tuesday, repeating his Monday opposition to an entertainment tax.

Such a tax could have unintended consequences -- affecting things like Kingsport's Fun Fest concerts and other entertainment events requiring paid tickets, Venable said.

"I hope it's nothing more than speculation, idle speculation," he said.

Vance, the county commissioner, said he received a lot of calls Tuesday from people concerned about losing race revenue and emphasized that he would not support an entertainment tax if it meant losing any races at Bristol.

But he added that all options must be explored because property owners and business owners simply can't afford a property tax increase.

"It was just a suggestion of something to explore," Vance said Tuesday of efforts to make up revenue shortfalls at the county Highway Department.

Last month, the commission voted to allow use of at least $130,000 in funds earmarked for a swinging bridge restoration to bring the department back to 40 hours a week after the work week was cut to 36 hours to save money and avoid layoffs.

"The Highway Department may have to lay off 30 or 40 or 50 people," Vance said. "When it comes to losing jobs, you have to explore all options."

On the other hand, Smith, the Speedway Motorsports chief, said he cannot understand why an operation that's already the county's second-largest taxpayer would be a target for more taxes.

"If Mr. Vance was real serious about this, maybe he doesn't understand the track," Smith said. "I think that Bristol Motor Speedway is doing far more than any company there as far as bringing money into the state.

"I was just thinking that everybody liked us up there, but maybe this Mark Vance doesn't."

During the Monday Executive Committee budget meeting, Vance said the county should look at alternative revenue sources like a 10 percent entertainment tax or a rural wheel tax on vehicles registered outside the cities.

Vance estimated the tax would generate $2.5 million a year.

I would personally go back to Bristol and kick ass!! Bruton Smith, or whoever else is starting this mess... BRISTOL CANT LOSE ANY RACES!!!

Originally posted by bowtie@Apr 23 2003, 10:16 AM
It would be a sad day if Bristol lost any races. :angry: :(
couldnt have said it any better

Just another fine example of govenment mismanagement. Trim the fat cats perks in office before you tax the people more! Bristol could in fact change the tickets to "stock shares" in the company that expire the day of the race (stock holders meeting!) therefore they cannot be taxed. :p A tax levy like they propose, just says to the people "we cannot manage all of the money that we now drain from you, so we are adding a tax to your entertainment". I sure hope the voters in that area remember who is on what side of the fence when election time rolls around! Losing races there would make me sick. :angry:

If NASCAR lost the Bristol races, I'd find another series to watch.

MAN THAT WOULD SUCK BIG TIME!!!!!
I hope that never happenes

Wurgh. Bristol losing races to governmental greed would be a major stain to both parties. This had better not happen, or I'll be set to kick butt and take names.

p.s. For future reference, this is my 1000th post.

Back in I beleve the 80s France thretened to close Daytona when the county it's in talked about the same kind of tax. The tax was killed.

That would really suck :eek: ...I can see one of the Bristol races going and one going to the New Jersey track or whatever. :stupidcomp:

As a businessman myself, one of my earlier lesson in business was, " Never make a threat that you are not prepared to follow through with if all else fails." The second was, "To pick your battles, let others fight some for you." I think Bruton is a very smart businessman, #1 he's let someone else do battle over the 2nd WC date. If he should lose, it doesn't tarnish Bruton. (smart man) I believe Bruton picked this battle because he IS prepared to follow through if need be. The double edge sword to this, is he is also serving notice he is prepared to take dates from there if he does not get a 2nd date for Texas.

You don't think there aren't investers waiting in the wings to throw money at Bruton to build another track like Bristol someplace else? This is a win win for Bruton.

This is just my opinion, but I've worked and dealt with many very successful, smart businessmen, they didn't get to their positions by being stupied

It will never happen (the tax) i live in upper east Tn. have heard a lot about this in the past couple of days there is to much revenue derived from the races to risk losing them. This Vance guy just commited political suicide

i know! bruton can MOVE bristol out of Tennesse :D
but maybe this will be extra incentive for ISC to build that bristol carbon copy in NJ.

Actually, Mark Vance is a pretty smart politician. For all the negative responses to this information on the ten percent tax hike on entertainment, who better to charge than people who do not live in Bristol, Sullivan County or for that matter, even the state of Tennessee?? The over whelming majority of ticket holders for the Bristol races are not residents of Sullivan County, Tennessee and cannot vote there.

Consider if they want to raise the tax on entertainment in Wake County, the capitol county of North Carolina, it is fine with me. After all, paying the ten percent increase is discretionary spending. At that point it is a matter of personal choice if a person chooses to buy the tickets with the added ten percent tax. That is more appealing than to have an additional tax on real estate or cars that must be paid every year. And the best part is, the biggest share of the added tax, in this case, is the bulk of the entertainment tax is paid by "out of towners".

Now the question is, will Bruton take a date away from Bristol? He will if he really wants another date at another track SMI owns elsewhere, one where there are more seats and room for more seats. Smith is using this as a bargaining chip to suit his own agenda as outlined by Eagle 1. Before anyone gets all teary-eyed over Bristol losing a date, don't !! Anytime Bruton Smith did anything, it was for his own specific purpose and as a smart businessman, he definitely has a serious agenda here. If it benefits him and the stockholders, there is little concern about the fans who take the time to write in on this forum and complain.

How many remember Wilkesboro????

I copied this from another board, posted from someone that lives there. Hope he doesn't mind, but I think it disputes Whizzers comments about residence not paying the tax, and this Vance guy being a smart politician. :dual9mm: I think he's commited "Political Suicide". Do you even have a clue how many jobs are at risk, and the negative financial impact this would have on such a small area? :dual9mm:

posted on 23/4/2003 at 16:00
I live near Bristol, This Vance is a real jerk, I heard something on the news last night about this. He was talking about how The race fans will pay what ever they charge, The only reason he's having problems, is the Tax will also raise tickets at ALL entertainment venues, High School sports and such. 20% tax on tickets, thats crazy talk, These BOZO'S think they can fix years of mismanagement on the money of race fans. I am sure Burton is bluffing, He will just pass it along, The Bristol season ticket holders are the one's to get the shaft in the end !!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Whizzer@Apr 25 2003, 07:10 AM
North Wilkesboro was closed because of estate taxes charged which then forced the track to be sold. Bruton & Bob Bahre knew what they wanted & just needed NASCAR to go along with it.

Originally posted by Eagle1@Apr 23 2003, 03:00 PM
BY RICK WAGNER
BRISTOL HERALD COURIER
Wednesday, April 23, 2003 Printer-Friendly Version

Bristol Motor Speedway could lose both its NASCAR race weekends if Sullivan County enacts an entertainment tax that applies to race tickets, Speedway Motorsports head Bruton Smith said Tuesday.
"We will do anything to prevent it that we can, taking a drastic measure of even moving."

He was responding to discussion of a 10 percent countywide entertainment tax put forth by County Commissioner Mark Vance of Bristol. The discussion came during a county committee meeting in Blountville Monday.

According to estimates from the Bristol Chamber of Commerce, the Bristol track has a $397 million direct impact per year on the region's economy and a more than $1.79 billion indirect annual impact.

At a minimum, Smith said, the track would lose at least one major race to another Speedway Motorsports-owned track if the county enacted an entertainment tax; however, he said the company otherwise had "no plans at this time to move" races from Bristol.

Vance, the county commissioner, said he received a lot of calls Tuesday from people concerned about losing race revenue and emphasized that he would not support an entertainment tax if it meant losing any races at Bristol.

But he added that all options must be explored because property owners and business owners simply can't afford a property tax increase.

During the Monday Executive Committee budget meeting, Vance said the county should look at alternative revenue sources like a 10 percent entertainment tax or a rural wheel tax on vehicles registered outside the cities.

Vance estimated the tax would generate $2.5 million a year.
Mark Vance got the total undivided attention of the county manager, the board of county commissioners and the general public on the financial situation in Sullivan County. The county commissioners have been forced to act into fully investigating and implementing additional taxes. Something every politician is reluctant to even discuss.

Once the press contacted Bruton Smith on the suggestion of Mark Vance, Smith seized the exploratory suggestion of Vance to rattle NASCAR hierarchy. Smith wants another date and what better way than to use a suggestion from someone else and wave the red flag under the bull's nose, in this case, NASCAR.

This will go away. No entertainment tax, Both Bristol races stay intact. Mark Vance has intestinal fortitude for making the suggestion. His suggestion will deflect resentment against any other increase in taxes, and that is a smart move, intended or not.

[QUOTE:Do you even have a clue how many jobs are at risk, and the negative financial impact this would have on such a small area? ]

Yes, I do, for several reasons. It is spelled out in the news article at the beginning of this post and personal experience from owning and operating several successful businesses between 1964 and 2002. Plus the added benefit of having held a elected office while dealing with a similar situation where similar threats were involved. This provides additional insight.
Right now, Bruton Smith is playing on the sympathies of race fans for a negative reaction, and it is working.
The difference in opinion between Eagle 1 and Whizzer come from Eagle 1 stating the opinion Bruton Smith will follow through on his threat and my (Whizzer) idea Smith is treading on thin ice.
He has no control over whether NASCAR will permit him to move a date, and if permitted, would it be to the track of his choice. Too big a gamble as NASCAR holds the winning hand.

Originally posted by 17_Fan+Apr 26 2003, 03:42 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (17_Fan @ Apr 26 2003, 03:42 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Whizzer@Apr 25 2003, 07:10 AM
North Wilkesboro was closed because of estate taxes charged which then forced the track to be sold. Bruton & Bob Bahre knew what they wanted & just needed NASCAR to go along with it. [/b][/quote]
To the best of my knowledge, North Wilkesboro was not sold under duress for payment of estate taxes as there were no estate taxes due at the time of begfinning negotiations.
It has been reported by the media Jack Coombs sold his 50% share of North Wilkesboro Speedway because he wanted to sell and felt Bruton Smith made a reasonable offer. That sale had nothing to do with estate taxes.

Talks of selling the Staley share of the speedway were in progress before Enoch Staley died and prior to his death, between Enoch Staley and Bruton Smith, with Staley refusing repeated offers from Smith.
After Enoch Staley died, his family continued to refuse offers from Bruton Smith, later choosing to sell to Bob Bahre.

After the Staley Family share was sold to Bahre, strained relations developed between Smith and Bahre, which have kept the track closed.

Whizzer, guess you didn't see this article back in January?

posted on 21/1/2003 at 15:50
From the Wisnton Cup Daily Scene Newsletter....

--------------------------------

NASCAR EYES BIG SCHEDULE CHANGES IN 2004
NASCAR officials said today that the sanctioning body is open to a major shakeup of the Winston Cup schedule in 2004 that could see some tracks loose one of their two dates and newer tracks in larger markets gain races. While NASCAR would not mandate the changes itself, it would allow track owners to move races that aren't selling out their current dates to other tracks. NASCAR Chairman Bill France Jr. said, for instance, Speedway Motorsports Inc. might be allowed to give up one of its Atlanta dates to have a second race at Texas Motor Speedway. Similarly, he said, International Speedway Corp. might move a race from its Darlington or North Carolina Speedway in Rockingham to its California or Kansas City facilities. NASCAR officials also said tracks that don't currently have lighting for night races would be encouraged to add it and said more races would be started later in the day to give them greater exposure to West Coast audiences. NASCAR President Mike Helton said that even the Daytona 500 might one day be run at night to run during television's prime-time period.

Eagle 1, no, I did not see the article you list but it does not apply to the Bristol situation.

QUOTE: [ "While NASCAR would not mandate the changes itself, it would allow track owners to move races that aren't selling out their current dates to other tracks".]

This strengthens the belief Bruton Smith will not follow through on his threat to move a date away from Bristol as the NASCAR position is made clear in this article. Bristol has a four year waiting list for tickets, so taking a date from Bristol and giving it to some another track would not be a possibility according to the provision listed by NASCAR.

Moving a date from Bristol as the result of a county imposed entertainment tax is not a good enough reason to move a date from Bristol while every date is sold out and future tickets are at high demand.

And make no mistake about who has the final word in the changing of dates as per this quote; "NASCAR Chairman Bill France Jr. said, for instance, Speedway Motorsports Inc. MIGHT BE ALLOWED to give up one of its Atlanta dates to have a second race at Texas Motor Speedway."
The wording "might be allowed" indicates NASCAR retains control of dates and race changes.

You really don't follow much of the postings and facts very well, It has been stated over and over the only reason the spring race is a sellout is because it is lumped with the August nite race, or you don't get a ticket.

Now you are entitled to your opinion, I'm not taking that from you, but that's all you got!!!!

I've posted article after article, statements from residents of the area, that all prove you have no facts to back you up.

You did say, "used to be an elected official", so what? I think next year this Vance may have a similar resume as yours, "used to be an elected official".

It is my opinion that I would not hire you to make business decisions for my business, or elect you to make decisions that affect my future, if you act by throwing out all evidence that you don't like, and make decisions based on your unqualified opinion.

With the economy the way it is in the Tri Cities, a smart politican would not be trying to raise taxes, he would be figuring out creative ways to stimulate the economy, cause more spending, making more on already existing taxes.

QUOTE "The difference in opinion between Eagle 1 and Whizzer come from Eagle 1 stating the opinion Bruton Smith will follow through on his threat and my (Whizzer) idea Smith is treading on thin ice. He has no control over whether NASCAR will permit him to move a date, and if permitted, would it be to the track of his choice. Too big a gamble as NASCAR holds the winning hand."

The above opinion was formed as a result of confirming, evaluating and balancing available information, in other words, the result of fact finding. See opposing posts to form your own opinion.

OPINION: Bruton Smith seized this opportunity to play on the sympathies of fans for a specific purpose.

FACT : He has been successful.

FACT:As a smart businessman, Bruton Smith is looking down the road for a date at another track owned by SMI and seeking any opening he can find to probe NASCAR toward that end. In this case it is the threat of taking a date from Bristol.

FACT: This is something he could not do without the blessing of NASCAR.

The conclusion forming the opinion expressed by Whizzer is,

OPINION: Bruton Smith will not remove a date from Bristol Speedway. It is my belief in the event he tried, NASCAR has the final decision and the outlook for any change is not good.

FACT: Past history on changing dates and the subleties of the final decisions outlined in the address of Bill France, Jr. leave little doubt what the final outcome would be.

FACT: None of this is relevant since Mark Vance stated he would not pursue the entertainment tax if it meant possibly losing a date from Bristol Motor Speedway. So now all we have to go on with the fact that for now, unless this surfaces again, we'll never know whether Bruton would attempt to move the date or not. In the future, there is always the possibility.

Article Link

Guess you didn't see the last article I posted where Bill France Jr said SMI "could" move race dates to other tracks.
This more recent article names Bristol specifically, and says SMI "can", if SMI, chooses to.

Even with the "tax" a dead issue now, the possibility is still real of atleast one date being moved from Brstol. It appears that all NASCAR or SMI are looking at is the possibility of more seats being available at another track, in this case the assumption is Texas.

BY BRUCE MARTIN
SportsTicker
Apr. 26, 2003 6:12 p.m.
FONTANA, Calif.—
From the can you believe this department: Speedway Motorsports chairman Bruton Smith said if a proposed entertainment tax is passed in the state of Tennessee, he would move both NASCAR Winston Cup race dates from Bristol Motor Speedway to two of his other tracks.
Las Vegas Motor Speedway and Texas Motor Speedway would each get one of Bristol's dates, giving each track two Winston Cup dates.

Of course, that statement is more political posturing than anything else, but NASCAR officials said they would allow Smith to leave Bristol if he desired.

"We talked back in January about promoters who wanted to move dates around," NASCAR president Mike Helton said. "If the promoter doesn't want to have races there, it's a whole different ballgame.

"Me, personally, I'd have 36 races up there but that's not the way it works. If the promoter wants to move them, that's something we would be open to."

Jim Hunter is NASCAR's vice president of corporate communications and agreed that the sanctioning body would not stand in the way, even though Bristol Motor Speedway may be the hardest ticket to get of any Winston Cup event with both races drawing in excess of 150,000 fans.

"Absolutely, NASCAR would allow that to happen," Hunter said. "Who says it's the hottest ticket in NASCAR? A few people buy tickets to the Daytona 500, the Brickyard 400 and the Coca-Cola 600. We announced in January that we would entertain moving events within a corporation. Would we move two? I don't know. But we would certainly entertain it if that is what Bruton Smith truly wants to do.

"I think 200,000 people whether they are in Tennessee or Texas, I wouldn't place more importance on one over the other," Hunter said. "Market wise, there isn't any comparison. Although I would make the argument that television doesn't know what the market is. It's the race track."

Eagle 1, As I pointed out in an earlier post, the discussion is moot as the issue was put to rest eight days ago. The entire topic became invalid approximately 36 hours before you even posted the original news article starting this thread.

One of the great things about a forum is the ability to express opinions, pro and con, on almost any given subject. The character, maturity and intelligence of those who post is on display through the manner in which one person responds to the opinion of another.
In this thread, you made sarcastic reference and negative personal comments, a tactic used by people who are unsure of themselves and/or thier opinions.

Your negative overview of my abilities in business without knowing who I am or what I might have accomplished in life was unacceptable. In voicing this opinion, you become guilty of the same faults you claim I possess, not having facts.

The idea of participating in a forum is to have fun and a friendly discussion.
It is my sincere desire that you will overcome the feeling you must make sarcastic reference and negative personal comments. Hopefully, in the future you will find it unnecessary to resort to the callow style you exhibited in this thread, whether it be directed to myself or someone else. Things would be a tad more harmonious and life a little sweeter.

Back
Top Bottom