Bubba, Denny and Mike

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
So if they all have the Hawkeye why isn't they can't pass inspection?
1612758044047.png

Revman

TRD
The road to the preacher Joe's "he's family" of four is paved with the dead corpses of race teams gone by
Yep, and Leavine is talking.....Get on this man. I expect more. It's getting ugly....

ChexOrWrex

Ya gotta wanna
Here is a pretty good article on why Michael Jordan and Pitbull came into NASCAR.
Hall of Famer Jordan set for biggest leap yet into NASCAR (yahoo.com)
There are plenty of people that are closet NASCAR fans but don’t want to announce it because of the “stupid” or “not athletes” stereotype.

I remember I had a college roommate who sat down to watch the race with me and after about 10 minutes he said “I thought NASCAR was for dumb people. There are a lot of numbers in this.”

Old Kid

Crew Chief
Contributor
Here is a pretty good article on why Michael Jordan and Pitbull came into NASCAR.
Hall of Famer Jordan set for biggest leap yet into NASCAR (yahoo.com)

From the article:
“The reason that I got involved in this is because there was a greater initiative,” Pitbull said. “The greater initiative is what we need more than ever, especially in these times, I’ll say it again: One race, one race only, the human race. If we can do it through music, through NASCAR, by entertaining, motivating and inspiring them, then that’s what I signed up for.”

Let's hope it helps in these turbulent times.

Revman

TRD
I thought the interview with MJ, Denny, and Bubba with Strahan was amazing. OMG....MJ walks into the room, and you know it. That man is bigger than life man. So cool....and so cool to see the humility from Bubba in the presence of greatness, and Denny flip to the owner Denny in an instant. This team is fascinating. Followed Bubba, Wheels, and Freddie all night. Bubba is ver composed. Fun team.

Kiante

Team Owner
I thought the interview with MJ, Denny, and Bubba with Strahan was amazing. OMG....MJ walks into the room, and you know it. That man is bigger than life man. So cool....and so cool to see the humility from Bubba in the presence of greatness, and Denny flip to the owner Denny in an instant. This team is fascinating. Followed Bubba, Wheels, and Freddie all night. Bubba is ver composed. Fun team.
Good first weekend as well, Bubba was on his way to a solid top 5-10 finish. Just unfortunate he had a loose wheel, hopefully this team can show this type of speed every week.

He wheeled the hell out of that car last night, it was fun watching him being competitive and seeing him learn how to race up front.

Also, I think he will be more competitive on the road courses than many think. He's not the greatest, but seeing how he fared for RPM at the Roval being that close to a top 10... He'll be fine.

I thought it was interesting that Jordan said something along the lines of there not being a black owner in nascar before. Wonder if he was just throwing shade or just busting Brad Daugherty balls with that comment lol

Kiante

Team Owner
I thought it was interesting that Jordan said something along the lines of there not being a black owner in nascar before. Wonder if he was just throwing shade or just busting Brad Daugherty balls with that comment lol
Daughtery is not a majority owner, MJ is the majority owner of his team.

Daughtery has been at it for a minute though and deserves his credit for getting a massive sponsor in Kroger to the sport. I feel as if its okay, I'm certain there might be a friendly competition between two UNC alumni.

jaqua19

Team Owner
+1 on the larger than life thing.

I'm a huge NBA fan as well. So, seeing MJ there was just..wow.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Daughtery is not a majority owner, MJ is the majority owner of his team.

Daughtery has been at it for a minute though and deserves his credit for getting a massive sponsor in Kroger to the sport. I feel as if its okay, I'm certain there might be a friendly competition between two UNC alumni.

Makes sense, never knew the percentage Brad owned on the team, just figured he was busting his old teammates chops

I wish NBC would get more Daughtery and less gerbiling. I really like his in your face style.
I always liked Brad on the broadcasts too

Revman

TRD
Good first weekend as well, Bubba was on his way to a solid top 5-10 finish. Just unfortunate he had a loose wheel, hopefully this team can show this type of speed every week.

He wheeled the hell out of that car last night, it was fun watching him being competitive and seeing him learn how to race up front.

Also, I think he will be more competitive on the road courses than many think. He's not the greatest, but seeing how he fared for RPM at the Roval being that close to a top 10... He'll be fine.

I am all in on Bubba and this team. It occurred to me that even when he doesn't win on the track his message--and the message of this team--is a win every minute of every day. I freaking also love how this team is an expression of MJ. The number. The colors of the launch car. The shoes the team wears. I am a big fan of greatness, and MJ is greatness. Love it when MJ told Bubba that he doesn't write checks to losers. Epic.

Revman

TRD
+1 on the larger than life thing.

I'm a huge NBA fan as well. So, seeing MJ there was just..wow.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Man, did you see all of the people in the background nervously checking phones, and moving around when MJ came in in shades and his gator? I mean you could "see" the room go silent....and this is a NASCAR owner. Do you think for one second he would be intimidated by Hendrick, Roush, Gibbs, Childress? Not. For. One. Second. I don't think that NASCAR is even completely clear how big all of this is....

Revman

TRD
Makes sense, never knew the percentage Brad owned on the team, just figured he was busting his old teammates chops

I always liked Brad on the broadcasts too
Daughtery is gold. Thought it was interesting that Fox brought Strahan in to handle the interview. Would love to see him moderate a ball busting match between MJ and Brad. Damn that would be good.

Nitro Dude

Hauler Driver and Cylinder Head Maintenance
You are spot on bro.. Around 1997 or 98 myself and another crew member had to take a nitro funnycar and top fuel dragster to the convention center in Chicago to put on display in our sponsors booth at a manufacturing convention for a week... and one night we went to the Michael Jordan's Restaurant. I don't know if he actually owned it but I know he had a lot to do with the restaurant and hung out there a lot. But we were sitting there waiting on our food and Michael and some friends of his came through the door and the place went silent for a few seconds. He walked right past our table and gave a little smile and a nod as he went by. Working in the racing industry and living in Santa Monica and Marina Del Rey has allowed me to meet a lot of movie stars but I think Michael Jordan was the most electrifying person I have ever seen up close. That includes working around multi billionaire John Paul DeJoria who is the father of Alexis DeJoria who I helped license in a nitro funny car and was married to West Coast Choppers Jessie James or even Burt Reynolds when he sponsored a funny car. Michael Jordan is in a league of his own.
Chicago Bulls, Michael Jordan documentary dishes restaurant nostalgia - Eater Chicago

Nitro Dude

Hauler Driver and Cylinder Head Maintenance
Last edited:

Dwayne

Team Owner
This comes from Barkley who had a falling out with Jordan so it may not be true, Barkley was on some talk show and he told a story where he and Jordan were walking somewhere and Barkley went to give some money to homeless person and Jordan said no, he can work at McDonalds. If true that's pretty cold. lol

Revman

TRD
Things like this is another reason I like and have so much respect for MJ. I think he has a heart as big as Dallas.
He must be a pretty brilliant business man because he only made around 100 million playing basketball and now he is estimated to be worth somewhere between 1.6 and 2.2 billion.
Michael Jordan donates $10 million to open two medical clinics in North Carolina (yahoo.com)

I like him because he is so private about what he does. He does what he does and he doesn't give a **** about what people think.

Revman

TRD
noticed Bubba picked up Denny quite a bit in the 500, building some rapport there. Good start.
I agree....and Denny had the fastest car...so for Bubba to be that quick is a good thing. Road course will be a difficult beast for Bubba. Good equipment, and a drive who hasn't figured road course racing out yet....more pressure. Gimmie a top 10-15.

wi_racefan

Team Owner
Now that Daytona is over we'll see what the 23 team really has. I expect some struggles if nothing more than Bubba has never been in equipment this good before, so he should be racing around a whole different group of competitors.

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
Now that Daytona is over we'll see what the 23 team really has. I expect some struggles if nothing more than Bubba has never been in equipment this good before, so he should be racing around a whole different group of competitors.
Only gauges I have when Bubba was driving good equipment was one full season at Roush when his teammate Chris Buescher won the title. He was decent there at Roush, and he was good driving KBM's stuff part time. His only downside IMO is that he doesn't make the best decisions sometimes, mostly being too aggressive but that got better at Petty's. I think a lot of that will go away with more experience. He's under tremendous pressure driving for MJ though.

Old 97

Team Owner
Somebody knows somebody...I'm a pretty decent internet sleuth, and haven't found a single Jordan brand 23XI piece. Enjoy it!
Yeah.
It’s a pretty cool deal.
I’m pretty sure you’ll be able to find them VERY soon.

cheesepuffs

Smokes, let's go
Sunnyvale Trailer Park, Nova Scotia, Canada

Ford 222

Team Owner
So what type of decisions do all of you think MJ and even Denny will be a part of? Besides sponsors clamoring to be a part of the MJ brand, what's he going to be making the calls on?

Revman

TRD
So what type of decisions do all of you think MJ and even Denny will be a part of? Besides sponsors clamoring to be a part of the MJ brand, what's he going to be making the calls on?
Whatever decisions MJ wants in on. Denny as much as he has time for. The rest to Lauletta IMO.

Kiante

Team Owner
Horrible race, no other way to slice it. He was outright bad from the start.

Like, I expected a little more out of Bubba yesterday after his performance here (Daytona RC) last season. Welcome to the growing pains portion, also he was pissed over the radio and once that happens we know how Bubba gets.

Homestead will be a good test for him and Wheeler, however I do like his feedback he's giving as well, but with more road courses, he has to be more competitive. I remember how awful Denny on road courses was at first, I think he should lean on his experienced owner to get him in the right direction on road courses in the future.

IMHO no pressure, but Bubba has to relax some. I honestly think he piles more pressure on himself than any other fan. It's going to take time, just go and do your thing.

Hawaii808

Team Owner
Horrible race, no other way to slice it. He was outright bad from the start.

Like, I expected a little more out of Bubba yesterday after his performance here (Daytona RC) last season. Welcome to the growing pains portion, also he was pissed over the radio and once that happens we know how Bubba gets.

Homestead will be a good test for him and Wheeler, however I do like his feedback he's giving as well, but with more road courses, he has to be more competitive. I remember how awful Denny on road courses was at first, I think he should lean on his experienced owner to get him in the right direction on road courses in the future.

IMHO no pressure, but Bubba has to relax some. I honestly think he piles more pressure on himself than any other fan. It's going to take time, just go and do your thing.
Bubba is learning he can’t overdrive his new ride like he could the RPM pieces. He still managed to get to the top 10 near the end but then looped it.

Agreed on the putting too much pressure on himself. The whole “no more excuses” thing is a good mentality that can be a burden when too firmly applied. It would be helpful for leadership to reel in the win now or else stuff and emphasize smaller building block goals.

Top Bottom