Bubba, Denny and Mike

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
Got two guys at the head of the table that have never ran a Nascar race car team and boom we are in the Cup series. I don't care how much money you throw at it, there is no substitute for experience. The Toyota rent a racer program can only do so much.

cheesepuffs

Smokes, let's go
Sunnyvale Trailer Park, Nova Scotia, Canada
Got two guys at the head of the table that have never ran a Nascar race car team and boom we are in the Cup series. I don't care how much money you throw at it, there is no substitute for experience. The Toyota rent a racer program can only do so much.
I mean, they have Wheels running the shop so it's not like they're operating without any direction.

ChexOrWrex

Ya gotta wanna
Horrible race, no other way to slice it. He was outright bad from the start.

Like, I expected a little more out of Bubba yesterday after his performance here (Daytona RC) last season. Welcome to the growing pains portion, also he was pissed over the radio and once that happens we know how Bubba gets.

Homestead will be a good test for him and Wheeler, however I do like his feedback he's giving as well, but with more road courses, he has to be more competitive. I remember how awful Denny on road courses was at first, I think he should lean on his experienced owner to get him in the right direction on road courses in the future.

IMHO no pressure, but Bubba has to relax some. I honestly think he piles more pressure on himself than any other fan. It's going to take time, just go and do your thing.
With Daytona being a lottery and Bubba’s current lack of talent for road course racing, the first two weeks had the potential to be disappointing but not unexpected. You are right that with the 5 additional circuits, Bubba needs to dedicate some time to that craft. Especially considering the ride he’s in.

I’m hopeful that he’ll have some competitive results on the upcoming ovals.

Nitro Dude

Hauler Driver and Cylinder Head Maintenance
For all of the fans that don't like Denny Hamlin I have a feeling he won't be losing any sleep over it. Pretty rich and gets to hangout with MJ. I doubt life could be much better for the dude. :)

Team Penske

Team Owner
For all of the fans that don't like Denny Hamlin I have a feeling he won't be losing any sleep over it. Pretty rich and gets to hangout with MJ. I doubt life could be much better for the dude. :)
Carl Edwards retiring with 60 M could be better off than Denny starting a team with 65M. I think Kenseth had more when he retired.

Nitro Dude

Carl Edwards retiring with 60 M could be better off than Denny starting a team with 65M. I think Kenseth had more when he retired.
I'm sure they are having a great life also but in this thread I'm more interested in Denny Hamlin. I have to wonder if Denny even has that much invested in the team. My guess is MJ is bringing the largest pot of gold.

MAGICMILER

Chariho
Contributor
I'm sure they are having a great life also but in this thread I'm more interested in Denny Hamlin. I have to wonder if Denny even has that much invested in the team. My guess is MJ is bringing the largest pot of gold.
MJ 's net worth is 1.6 Billion. 60 to 80 million is a big chunk of $ to someone like me, but to MJ, maybe not so much...

Joe Pisciotta

Crew Chief
I agree with the poster about experience. Jumping right into the Cup series without moving through the ranking like most is not a recipe for success early on.

It's going to take a long time before they can nail everything down.

I know people are high on Bubba but they would have been better off with a winner from the start. Let's see if MJ has some patience of wrecking and running in the back for a while.

They have several chances of winning a race this year. They may finish in the top-20 in points and if they do that's a win. Hope MJ agrees.

hmmm298

Crew Chief
28th today. Ouch.

Yes, he should have been atleast 23rd.
Here's how I guess it makes sense though. The number 23 + 11 (Denny's number) = 34. Jordan won 6 championships, and Hamlin and Bubba 0. So, 34-6 championships = 28 = Bubba's finishing position. Just like algebra class. :whoopee: :owquitit: :owned: :XXROFL::dunce::headbang::dual9mm::crash::micro:

:lurk::lurk:

hmmm298

Crew Chief
When referencing the car being dynod, apparently they meant "dynosaured". That explains it.

Last edited:

aunty dive

Team Owner
Contributor
Wow.

An o-ring failed. Apparently this has never happened before.

Kiante

Team Owner
When Bubba wins, it will be because JGR cheated, and NASCAR wanted him to win.
Oh, its going to be hilarious.

One race at a time, they were pretty quick even in the back of the field running top 15 times. Just have to string whole races together.

A lot of the new teams struggled yesterday. It's a part of the process.

ahhculdee

Team Owner

One race at a time, they were pretty quick even in the back of the field running top 15 times. Just have to string whole races together.

They were just behind from an early mechanical issue.

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
Probably using old Leavine/JGR equipment. I can't see them going all new with a car change coming next year. They are working on a new shop also.

ChexOrWrex

Ya gotta wanna
When Bubba wins, it will be because JGR cheated, and NASCAR wanted him to win.
I’m predicting Bubba wins the Brickyard. It will be glorious.

Kiante

Team Owner
Oh **** I forgot about that.
Bristol, Martinsville, Michigan, Richmond, Pheonix, Daytona II, or Talledega will be his best chances. Texas has also been good to him and Kansas.

Also, he has previous expereince at Road America. He was always quick there in Xfinity.

Still needs to improve on intermediates, he's still a bit inconsistent at times on them. I just want to see the team improve and crack the top 15 consistently.

ToyYoda

Team Owner

I’ve gotten a kick out of reading some of the social media comments after this race. The Bubba haters are acting like Kyle Larson’s win was a big FU to Bubba (even though they had a nice moment when Bubba came to VL to congratulate Larson), but the one that really amuses me is how they’re all acting like Erik Jones is this huge upgrade over Bubba Wallace since he finished 10th yesterday. A couple things about that: 1) Bubba finished 6th in this race last year in the 43, and 2) even though the 23 team is off to a rough start, they’re still three spots ahead of the 43 in points.

And yes, if Bubba does get a win this year, I’m sure there will be a lot of “it was rigged”. There are a subset of people out there that think any result that they don’t like must be fake.

Kiante

Team Owner
I’ve gotten a kick out of reading some of the social media comments after this race. The Bubba haters are acting like Kyle Larson’s win was a big FU to Bubba (even though they had a nice moment when Bubba came to VL to congratulate Larson), but the one that really amuses me is how they’re all acting like Erik Jones is this huge upgrade over Bubba Wallace since he finished 10th yesterday. A couple things about that: 1) Bubba finished 6th in this race last year in the 43, and 2) even though the 23 team is off to a rough start, they’re still three spots ahead of the 43 in points.

And yes, if Bubba does get a win this year, I’m sure there will be a lot of “it was rigged”. There are a subset of people out there that think any result that they don’t like must be fake.
It's to be expected, not to mention the Wallace congratulating Larson deal, some said it was a "Photo op.", "Oh he's actually in victory lane, for once.", etc.

Social media is just that, a place where individuals who don't like the guy simply because of the opportunity he's earned or the obvious -ism.

Many want to see the team fail and I'm not understanding why many think its due to Bubba being under "pressure" from Jordan. I guess everyone forgot what happened last year, I don't think he's bothered by external force as much as himself at times.

He's more hard on himself than anything else.

ChexOrWrex

Ya gotta wanna

Social media has allowed the smallest people to have the loudest voices. Winners focus on winning and losers focus on winners.

If Dale Jr won, it was rigged. If Jeff Gordon won, it was rigged. If Jimmie Johnson won, it was rigged. If Matt Kenseth won, he was a robot.

That’s not bad company to be in.

Switchback

Team Owner
Social media has allowed the smallest people to have the loudest voices. Winners focus on winning and losers focus on winners.

If Dale Jr won, it was rigged. If Jeff Gordon won, it was rigged. If Jimmie Johnson won, it was rigged. If Matt Kenseth won, he was a robot.

That’s not bad company to be in.
Well said, Social media has a way of making a small minority perspective seem prevalent. Ignoring that garbage is the only way to stay sane.

wi_racefan

Team Owner
IMO the hardest part is keeping MJ patient. However being the lowest finishing JGR car in the last 3 races probably doesn't help that

Nitro Dude

The important thing is when he does win you and most of the other sane people on social media will know it wasn't rigged. ;)

Dr_B_UNC

Team Owner
It's a catch-22, isn't it? If Bubba wins, it'll be "oh NASCAR let them!" If he doesn't win, the same people will scream "see! He couldn't get it done with top tier equipment!" I'm just glad the field of competitive cars and drivers is growing.

aunty dive

Team Owner
Contributor
IMO the hardest part is keeping MJ patient. However being the lowest finishing JGR car in the last 3 races probably doesn't help that
Does Jordan have a rep for impatience?

If he does, he must have lost his tiny mind when he bought The Charlotte Hornets.

"The franchise made just two playoff appearance since Jordan's takeover and has not been particularly effective in the NBA draft. The franchise still remains a mid-tier side in the Eastern Conference. This season, the franchise is going through its fourth losing season a row, 10th in the Eastern Conference with a 23-42 (win-loss) record. The sign-and-trade deal at the start of the 2019-20 season saw Kemba Walker leave the franchise for Boston Celtics. Drafted in 2011 as the No. 9 overall pick, Walker was one of the rare success stories for Jordan and the Hornets."

Nitro Dude

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't MJ already an avid NASCAR fan before coming on board as an owner. If so then I would imagine he already knew how hard it is to be a top contender right out of the box and that it will take time to produce any real results.

aunty dive

Team Owner
Contributor
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't MJ already an avid NASCAR fan before coming on board as an owner. If so then I would imagine he already knew how hard it is to be a top contender right out of the box and that it will take time to produce any real results.
He was. He knows exactly how hard this will be.

saltysenior

Crew Chief
MJ 's net worth is 1.6 Billion. 60 to 80 million is a big chunk of $ to someone like me, but to MJ, maybe not so much...
It's hard for us pee-ons to understand , but sometimes well to do people actually have to make loosing investments to save money...see it every day w/ successful people going in partners in the restaurant business that will close in 2 years..

Top Bottom