Bubba, Denny and Mike

Ford 222

Team Owner
Bubba and the 23 team’s win is the same as any win in Johnson, Earnhardt, Gordon, Busch, or any other drivers’ statistics. I’m sure they all had a win that way and I never heard ANY of them say “aww it’s due to weather, doesn’t count”. Anyone trying to discredit their accomplishment looks as foolish/ignorant as those who “boo” a driver or opposite athletic team. ANY of those other 40 drivers would have been thrilled with the win and took all the adulation thrust upon them.

Daytripper

Crew Chief
How does booing an opposing team make you ignorant? I can agree with you that bubba got his win and it's a real win, but if I wanna boo teams or drivers I don't like, how does that make me ignorant? What is it that I don't know about the other team?

Blaze

Merry Offseason and Happy Christmas
How does booing an opposing team make you ignorant? I can agree with you that bubba got his win and it's a real win, but if I wanna boo teams or drivers I don't like, how does that make me ignorant? What is it that I don't know about the other team?
Some people might boo him because they just don’t like how he drives or something. But they are some who boo him for reasons that are pretty ****** up. It’s the ones who do nothing but bash and bash and bash, say how terrible he is, try to discredit every single thing he does, etc who are the problem

Formerjackman

Team Owner
We live in a world where Phelp's reaction was justifiable. The mistake he made was in apologizing for his reaction.

No, accusing someone of a blatant act of racism without even ONE iota of proof is NEVER NEVER NEVER justifiable, especially when those people either work FOR you or are or are members of your organization. You know what they say about assuming making an ass out of me and you, well you couldn't possibly be a bigger ass than NASCAR was in this situation. Fanning the flames during a time when the whole country was on edge with a wild ass assumption is completely irresponsible, dangerous and flat out wrong. NASCAR and EVERYONE associated with NASCAR, including Bubba came off looking like complete idiots to the general public that doesn't drink the NASCAR flavor of Koo-laid. Unless their last name was France, I don't know ANYONE responsible for the course of action taken during this non-incident could still have a job with them. It is the one time in my entire life that I was truly embarrassed to be a supporter of NASCAR.

Last edited:

Ford 222

Team Owner
I said "looks" as foolish/ignorant. You're right, I can't say they are or are not. But "booing" someone is not a good look. Certainly pretty classless.

Daytripper

Crew Chief
I said "looks" as foolish/ignorant. You're right, I can't say they are or are not. But "booing" someone is not a good look. Certainly pretty classless.

Booing the team playing against my team is not classless. Booing bubba just because he is black certainly is. But booing a team because it is a competitor of the team you root for is in no way a bad look or classless. As long as the booing stays for the sport of it and does not become personal there is nothing wrong with it.

Ford 222

Team Owner
No, accusing someone of a blatant act of racism without even ONE iota of proof is NEVER NEVER NEVER justifiable, especially when those people either work FOR you or are or are members of your organization. You know what they say about assuming making an ass out of me and you, well you couldn't possibly be a bigger ass than NASCAR was in this situation. Fanning the flames during a time when the whole country was on edge with a wild ass assumption is completely irresponsible, dangerous and flat out wrong. NASCAR and EVERYONE associated with NASCAR, including Bubba came off looking like complete idiots to the general public that doesn't drink the NASCAR flavor of Koo-laid. Unless their last name was France, I don't know ANYONE responsible for the course of action taken during this non-incident could still have a job with them. It is the one time in my entire life that I was truly embarrassed to be a supporter of NASCAR.
As has been said many time here, it was a time when there wasn’t enough racism to meet demand.

Formerjackman

Team Owner
As if there isn't enough racism in this world, let's look for some where it didn't exist..........

Reactions: sdj

Blaze

As if there isn't enough racism in this world, let's look for some where it didn't exist..........
You’re telling me that not one single person which dislikes Bubba is racist? That’s not me saying they all are.. but you can’t tell me some of them aren’t.

Formerjackman

Team Owner
You’re telling me that not one single person which dislikes Bubba is racist? That’s not me saying they all are.. but you can’t tell me some of them aren’t.
I'm talking about the employees of NASCAR, Talladega Speedway the NASCAR team members and the limited number of media members that were in the garage area at Talladega on the day of the incident. If it was indeed what NASCAR tried to make it be, someone from one of those groups had to be responsible. While I don't deny that there are likely a FEW people in that group who may privately hold racist views, if I want to make a statement about racism, I don't believe that is where I would start the search. Basically NASCAR management said "We think so little of all of you, we think one or more of you is responsible for this disgusting act", which of course didn't happen in the first place. If I EVER had the chance to speak with Mr. Phelps, I would light his ass up like it was the Fourth of July for that. If you see a garage door pull tied with a loop on the end and instantly think racism, YOU have a problem and should get some help.

Blaze

I'm talking about the employees of NASCAR, Talladega Speedway the NASCAR team members and the limited number of media members that were in the garage area at Talladega on the day of the incident.
I didn’t need the essay. Could’ve stopped here and I be like okay cool I agree

Kiante

Team Owner
It's never going away and its always going to be there. I don't look for it when it stares me right in the face some days.

You can dislike any driver you want, but some just take it to the next level with Bubba. That's where my issue lies with things.

Formerjackman

Team Owner
It's never going away and its always going to be there. I don't look for it when it stares me right in the face some days.
No, sadly it's not and some of the things done to try to "fix" it have only served to make it worse. I have known many people who were/are what I would call a "casual racist". They would make snarky comments and say nasty things when nobody could overhear them, but in the normal course of life you would likely never know it, and they wouldn't do or say squat. Sometimes I think those people are worse than the people who are upfront about it, but they are ultimately pretty harmless. I guess if I were in that position I would confront only when the situation really called for it and just go being a shining example of why they are wrong. The best way to beat them is blow up their stereotypes.

I don't know why people want to boo Bubba when there are so many other drivers WAY more fun to hate on. :D

Ford 222

Team Owner
Booing the team playing against my team is not classless. Booing bubba just because he is black certainly is. But booing a team because it is a competitor of the team you root for is in no way a bad look or classless. As long as the booing stays for the sport of it and does not become personal there is nothing wrong with it.
Just my opinion. Seems low rent to me. Those boos don’t do a thing for who you support and nothing to the team you don’t. And in NASCAR it’s especially useless.

Revman

You can't handle the truth!
Nobody was attacked. It would have been irresponsible to react in any other way given the conditions in this country particularly in the Deep South. The only embarrassing part was that there was an apology. Maybe Phelps should have referenced the fact that the ****** President took time to send a despicable message to a young Black man trying to make a difference....or maybe the death threats....or maybe the social media attacks as contributing factors in the response. This world doesn't deserve an assumption of innocence when it comes to racism.

Formerjackman

Team Owner
Nobody was attacked. It would have been irresponsible to react in any other way given the conditions in this country particularly in the Deep South. The only embarrassing part was that there was an apology. Maybe Phelps should have referenced the fact that the ****** President took time to send a despicable message to a young Black man trying to make a difference....or maybe the death threats....or maybe the social media attacks as contributing factors in the response. This world doesn't deserve an assumption of innocence when it comes to racism.

If you are going to take that approach, we might as well shut the whole country down, because our entire nation is built on the principle that people are innocent until PROVEN guilty, and I'm sorry, but racism gets no free pass on that one. If you insist on taking that approach, we are NEVER going to be able to move past where we are now. The ONLY way to actually END racism is to change hearts, and your view doesn't help that one single bit. Making Bubba out to be the victim of a "crime" that never happened only reinforces the cause of those predisposed to hate him. In the Talladega case, it would have been a huge enough mistake to go off half ****ed liked they did even IF a an actual racial "incident" had taken place, but to act like complete jackasses with ZERO evidence that it WAS an incident is completely unacceptable. Once again. I ask the question; Do you REALLY want to solve the problem, or do you want an issue to grandstand on?

ChexOrWrex

Ya gotta wanna
Big statement to suggest that racism doesn't exist in the garage in Alabama.
Each track has their own staff but the folks in the garages are NASCAR and race team employees that travel to every garage each week. You’re suggesting that racism exists on the NASCAR staff and race team staff, and therefore every garage they travel to?

Maybe you missed the show of unity that NASCAR and race team members voluntarily decided to commit to on pit road at Dega?

ahhculdee

Team Owner
He didn't get boos before last year.

Reactions: sdj

Greg

2014 RF YAHOO CHAMP Your leader
I think granny throwing her dentures at Jeff Gordon was the most artistic expression of fan disapproval that I have seen.
It meant so much more than the cheap boos or even the partially consumed beer cans that some threw at Gordon.

It was such a personal statement. She was willing to live off of just soup for the following three months until her new set arrived to make the statement. She truly sacrificed and had skin in the game.
We talked about it during her eulogy and there wasn't a dry eye at the waffle house. She was special.

She left the new replacement set with me, and told me when the time was right to make it count.

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
I think many don't realize that Nascar more than ever are promoting various story lines. Wallace's goes way back and they aren't hiding the fact about how Wendell Scott was treated nor Wallace years later. It's good to get it out in the open for all to see. Wallace has earned everything he has been able to achieve in the sport.

ahhculdee

Team Owner
Yeah, nobody actually cared that Bubba was on the track until last year
Most of that is his interviews on CNN that were kind of not needed and painted NASCAR fans in a bad light. A lot of fans think he has pandered to the divisive media to get sponsors. I love Bubba but that put him behind in a lot of fans eyes.

Formerjackman

Team Owner
I think many don't realize that Nascar more than ever are promoting various story lines. Wallace's goes way back and they aren't hiding the fact about how Wendell Scott was treated nor Wallace years later. It's good to get it out in the open for all to see. Wallace has earned everything he has been able to achieve in the sport.
Which is why trying to paint him as a victim of something that didn't happen is all the more disgusting. It detracts from what he has actually accomplished.

Formerjackman

Team Owner
Most of that is his interviews on CNN that were kind of not needed and painted NASCAR fans in a bad light. A lot of fans think he has pandered to the divisive media to get sponsors. I love Bubba but that put him behind in a lot of fans eyes.
I agree to a point, BUT, much of Bubba's reaction that weekend was a result of the false narrative that NASCAR fed him. I would like to think that if he had ALL the facts, his response would have been somewhat different.

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
Which is why trying to paint him as a victim of something that didn't happen is all the more disgusting. It detracts from what he has actually accomplished.
that has been over for a long time. Nobody is trying to paint Wallace as a victim. Nascar has been transparent with what went on warts and all. Time to move on from all of that or not if ya can't move forward.

Ford 222

Team Owner
Curious....what's to hide about Wallace's treatment? Only thing I recall was that driver's girlfriend using a slur on pit row after a race when her boyfriend and Darrel got into a post race argument?

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
Curious....what's to hide about Wallace's treatment? Only thing I recall was that driver's girlfriend using a slur on pit row after a race when her boyfriend and Darrel got into a post race argument?
sorry no drama for ya. Wallace because of Nascar's drive for diversity program got his shot and made the best of it. Much different from Windell Scott's experiences

Formerjackman

Team Owner
that has been over for a long time. Nobody is trying to paint Wallace as a victim. Nascar has been transparent with what went on warts and all. Time to move on from all of that or not if ya can't move forward.
All NASCAR did was issue a sort of half-assed oops. There was no serious discussion of why they were so quick to jump to awful conclusions, why they were ready to stir up a hornets nest of negative publicity over such a flimsy narrative, and why no one at NASCAR paid the consequences for being so wrong. NASCAR absolutely WAS trying to portray Bubba as a victim of blatant racism so they could could come in looking like the knight in armor to save the day. If you want to just gloss over all of that, go right ahead. I choose not to. Hell, just this week on this forum we have discussed Rick Hendrick's illegal activities from the 1980's and the fact that Chase Elliott spun out Ty Dillon in a truck race in 2014, so if you want to push the "move on" narrative, maybe you should try it in another thread.

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
All NASCAR did was issue a sort of half-assed oops. There was no serious discussion of why they were so quick to jump to awful conclusions, why they were ready to stir up a hornets nest of negative publicity over such a flimsy narrative, and why no one at NASCAR paid the consequences for being so wrong. NASCAR absolutely WAS trying to portray Bubba as a victim of blatant racism so they could could come in looking like the knight in armor to save the day. If you want to just gloss over all of that, go right ahead. I choose not to. Hell, just this week on this forum we have discussed Rick Hendrick's illegal activities from the 1980's and the fact that Chase Elliott spun out Ty Dillon in a truck race in 2014, so if you want to push the "move on" narrative, maybe you should try it in another thread.

your choice to be butt hurt or not. Like I said move on or not.

Top Bottom