Bubba, Denny and Mike

Revman

TRD
Nobody else is following that path and they never have.

No ****. That doesn't make it wrong, and some would consider it creative...you might be among them if it wasn't for your issue(s) with MY Toyotas.

I really don't think Toyota out of the graciousness of their hearts are training drivers for their competition.

Wrong again, but you will have that when talk from behind that pocket @aunty dive referred to. David Wilson is proud of the part that TRD has played in drivers' successes who are driving other brands. Toyota was pumping money into this sport when the others were either asking for or contemplating a bail out. WE love NASCAR.

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
TRD has given a lot of opportunities to drivers who otherwise would've never gotten them. It stings for Jones but honestly my gripe with their program is I think it's a major waste to develop all these guys if they aren't going to have seats for their multi million dollar investments. I don't think that will work long term.

View attachment 50072
Obviously I'm just a layman fan but that wasteful spending seems flat out dumb to me when they have struggled to keep 5-6 Cup seats for all their prospects. Don't get me wrong it's great that their projects get opportunities but reallocating resources to keeping non JGR teams healthy seems smarter to me than dropping millions on drivers you may not have a seat for. It's also a very complex issue because it seems that at least in Furniture Row's case Visser shut the team down for a multitude of other reasons.
It's been wildly disputed that Visser didn't shut the team down for other reasons. He was trying to raise money to stay in the sport up until the end. The cost for him to do business is what skyrocketed along with a sponsor leaving. A large portion of the increase came from TRD DBA JGR. They had a choice to keep 6 competing cars in the series out of 40 or to let him go under. When you have both Barney Visser and Leavine saying the reason they switched manufacturers is because they were going to get more support and then what happened? Really what DID happen. I think it is one of the main reasons the new car will break the affiliation mould by having so many required outside vendor parts for the cars. So IMO it's for the good because it brought about a better change for those wanting to compete in the series.

Revman

TRD
TRD has given a lot of opportunities to drivers who otherwise would've never gotten them. It stings for Jones but honestly my gripe with their program is I think it's a major waste to develop all these guys if they aren't going to have seats for their multi million dollar investments. I don't think that will work long term.

View attachment 50072
Obviously I'm just a layman fan but that wasteful spending seems flat out dumb to me when they have struggled to keep 5-6 Cup seats for all their prospects. Don't get me wrong it's great that their projects get opportunities but reallocating resources to keeping non JGR teams healthy seems smarter to me than dropping millions on drivers you may not have a seat for. It's also a very complex issue because it seems that at least in Furniture Row's case Visser shut the team down for a multitude of other reasons.

Yeah, the way that reads is like they dumped salary into him. They didn't. They replaced the dried up sponsorship to keep him developing. Will they take a loss? Yes. Many do in motorsport I am told.

Revman

TRD
It's been wildly disputed that Visser didn't shut the team down for other reasons. He was trying to raise money to stay in the sport up until the end. The cost for him to do business is what skyrocketed along with a sponsor leaving. A large portion of the increase came from TRD DBA JGR. They had a choice to keep 6 competing cars in the series out of 40 or to let him go under. When you have both Barney Visser and Leavine saying the reason they switched manufacturers is because they were going to get more support and then what happened? Really what DID happen.

bull****. Complete bull****. "Wildly disputed (What the hell does that even mean?)" by ALOU? Visser has been quoted the the price increase wasn't a factor, and Leavine said the pandemic screwed them. Both were going to get support, but 5 Hour left, and that little virus had other plans. Oh, yeah, and Barney did get that little Championship didn't he? Did he get that with Chevy? Nope. Your credibility is shrinking--if not gone.

Revman

TRD
The only problem they have is referring to themselves as “family” rather than making it apparent that this is a business and the job is to win.

Again, bull****. Coach said that about Matt. If you are going to be a member of ALOU, get your **** right.

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
bull****. Complete bull****. "Wildly disputed (What the hell does that even mean?)" by ALOU? Visser has been quoted the the price increase wasn't a factor, and Leavine said the pandemic screwed them. Both were going to get support, but 5 Hour left, and that little virus had other plans. Oh, yeah, and Barney did get that little Championship didn't he? Did he get that with Chevy? Nope. Your credibility is shrinking--if not gone.
I thought you told me to not say B.S. bud..I would work on your own credibility instead of trying to control what others say. Go back to your Yota shrine and say 10 hail toyota's

ChexOrWrex

Ya gotta wanna
Again, bull****. Coach said that about Matt. If you are going to be a member of ALOU, get your **** right.
"Erik has been an incredible friend to Toyota throughout the last eight years," said Ed Laukes, Group VP of Toyota Motor North America. "We’ve become close not only to Erik, but to his entire family. We’ve celebrated together, we’ve cried together and we’ve supported each other through it all.”

Incredible friend

Family

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
I wonder if Eric thought of Kenseth when that corporate mouth piece was droning on, or was he thinking oh oh, I have heard this before

JGR_20

Rusty Wallace forever/Christopher Bell right now
Kind of a sidebar to the main conversation today... but if a guy like Erik had cranked it up earlier in the season ripping off all these top fives imagine what could have been.

Seems like this happens in Cup... a guy is facing uncertainty/loosing a good ride, then all the sudden they become a force to deal with.

Maybe race like the job is on the line all the time?...

McMurray did this stuff back in the day as well. Always jumped up from the mid pack when his ride/status was ‘up in the air’

Im goin to get steam rolled for this one.. Matty D all the sudden was running his butt off getting all these career best finishes right at the time we didn’t know what he was gonna do next year... now we can relax since he got resigned I guess...

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
Kind of a sidebar to the main conversation today... but if a guy like Erik had cranked it up earlier in the season ripping off all these top fives imagine what could have been.

Seems like this happens in Cup... a guy is facing uncertainty/loosing a good ride, then all the sudden they become a force to deal with.

McMurray did this stuff back in the day as well. Always jumped up from the mid pack when his ride/status was ‘up in the air’

Im goin to get steam rolled for this one.. Matty D all the sudden was running his butt off getting all these career best finishes right at the time we didn’t know what he was gonna do next year... now we can relax since he got resigned I guess...
can you say real slow...la-gan-o. I could say the corporate B.S. micro management is off for Eric and make just as much sense. :idunno:

JGR_20

can you say real slow...la-gan-o. I could say the corporate B.S. micro management is off for Eric and make just as much sense. :idunno:

could be anything i guess. I just found it interesting that he really got going as his status was unknown

ChexOrWrex

Ya gotta wanna

From what I can tell, the drivers have the least amount of credit for a great performance. We’ve seen Harvick and Hamlin both have missed set ups for various races this season and there is no more ability to “will” the car to the front. We all know Kyle Busch is a generational talent, they just have missed the set ups all season. If you come off the truck with a 10th place car, you generally finish there too. This is the worst timeline to be scouting driver talent and the best for scouting crew chief and shop talent.

Revman

TRD
"Erik has been an incredible friend to Toyota throughout the last eight years," said Ed Laukes, Group VP of Toyota Motor North America. "We’ve become close not only to Erik, but to his entire family. We’ve celebrated together, we’ve cried together and we’ve supported each other through it all.”

Incredible friend

Family

We're even. LOL. FWIW....I hate what went down with Erik.

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
Jones has caught some breaks recently. Like Chex said without any practice you got what you got. I remember drivers saying they have changed everything on the car when they had practices.

JGR_20

From what I can tell, the drivers have the least amount of credit for a great performance. We’ve seen Harvick and Hamlin both have missed set ups for various races this season and there is no more ability to “will” the car to the front. We all know Kyle Busch is a generational talent, they just have missed the set ups all season. If you come off the truck with a 10th place car, you generally finish there too. This is the worst timeline to be scouting driver talent and the best for scouting crew chief and shop talent.

I think that’s a good bit of the deal.

I just feel like there’s some drivers mentality where they’re motivated to win every single week... as if they need to prove themselves all the time... I personally feel those are the Jeff Gordons, Kyle Busch’s, Carl Edwards, Harvicks, and Hamlins, ect of this sport

When a driver wants to prove something, look out!

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
The Blount Report by Terry Blount....Page 201....
Figment example

The Blount Report is the popular name given to the part of the 1893 United States House of Representatives Foreign Relations Committee Report regarding the overthrow of the Kingdom of Hawaii.

Revman

TRD
Figment example

The Blount Report is the popular name given to the part of the 1893 United States House of Representatives Foreign Relations Committee Report regarding the overthrow of the Kingdom of Hawaii.

Whatever makes you happy....Search Amazon. Enjoy the race!

Revman

TRD
What does ALOU mean?

Good question. My friend @StandOnIt always refers to "a lot of us," so I decided that this group was important enough to give them an acronym. I do believe that if you search their history (don't really do it because I am making this up), you will find that they have their origins in Mom's basement, and they like to eat Chickie Nuggies while taking pot shots at posters in a NASCAR forum. We don't know how many there are, but we are told that they are out there.

Revman

TRD
yeah he always has one, works every time. It's called a figment of his imagination

You are bored. Do you have any interests outside of NASCAR? Maybe there is another board waiting for you?

Pat

Team Owner
Good question. My friend @StandOnIt always refers to "a lot of us," so I decided that this group was important enough to give them an acronym. I do believe that if you search their history (don't really do it because I am making this up), you will find that they have their origins in Mom's basement, and they like to eat Chickie Nuggies while taking pot shots at posters in a NASCAR forum. We don't know how many there are, but we are told that they are out there.
Thanks for clearing that up. It has been making me crazy.

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
Close to Roger Penske.
Roger Penske is a businessman, iconic track/series owner car owner in multiple racing series and the other one used to shoot baskets and is partners with a lifetime race car driver. I don't see anything close. :idunno: Despite what Nascar says or allows, I'll call it the 5th Gibbs car less confusion that way

aunty dive

Team Owner
Contributor
The reference was to net worth ... nothing more.

There’s no confusion. Confirmation bias presents itself.

Top Bottom