Cale Yarborough Career Highlights

F

FlFlash

Thought I'd throw in some of Cale Yarborough's Career Highlight's and other stuff. Couple videos to start off with.

Early in-car at Darlington, 3800lb car, No power steering, Bias ply tires, No cool suit hell not even a decent seat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XxDrbQjyDw&feature=related

Cale Yarborough Winning the 1984 Daytona 500. Yarborough is the first man since Fireball Roberts to achieve the Daytona Triple crown by winning the pole, his qualifying race, and the Daytona 500. Cale's pole speed of 201.848 mph is the first time a pole winner's speed exceeded 200 mph. Last lap Cale Yarborough slingshots past the a young Darrel Waltrip down the backstretch on the final lap to take the WIN out running Dale Earnhardt who edged out Darrell Waltrip at the line with Neil Bonnet, Ricky Rudd and Harry Gant right there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=H_LCRqWVc5I&NR=1

Little more info on Cale

Cale Yarborough
Born: March 27, 1939
Hometown: Timmonsville, S.C.
Competed: 1957-88
Starts: 562
Wins: 83
Poles: 69
Career Highlights
As competitive as the sport has always been, NASCAR has had very few dynasties. Yarborough's reign in the late 1970s, though, was one of them.
His string of three consecutive Cup Series championships from 1976-78 was unprecedented -- and unmatched until 2008, when Jimmie Johnson was crowned champion for the third consecutive year.
During his three-year dominance, Yarborough won 28 races -- nine in 1976, nine in '77 and 10 in '78. His final championship points margin in those three years was never fewer than 195 points, and was as much as 474 in 1978.
Those three years made Yarborough's career, but he enjoyed success before and after. The fiery competitor was the series championship runner-up in 1973 and '74 and again in 1980.
Yarborough totaled 83 victories in his 31-year career, and ranks fifth all time. And he won the Daytona 500 four times (1968, '77, '83-84), a mark that ranks second only to Richard Petty's seven.
When NASCAR's "50 Greatest Drivers" list was compiled in 1998, suffice to say that William Caleb Yarborough was a shoo-in.

from:http://www.nascar.com/news/features/cyarborough.hof.bio/

Multiple Hall of Famer

Inducted into the International Motorsports Hall of Fame in 1993.

Inducted into the National Motorsports Press Association Hall of Fame in 1994.

Inducted into the Motorsports Hall of Fame of America in 1994.

Inducted into the Court of Legends at Charlotte Motor Speedway in 1996.

Named one of NASCAR's 50 Greatest Drivers in1998.

One of the first 25 nominees for the NASCAR Hall of Fame in 2009.

Elected into NASCAR Hall of Fame in 2011.

And a Not so great Highlight, Qaulifying at Daytona 1983:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45WNhtVZpSw&feature=related

In a way it's another Highlight that Cale Yarborough took the "Back Up" Short track Pontiac Lemans that they mentioned at the end of the clip started at the back of the feild ( because he crashed the qualifying car on pole day and started a back up ) and WON the damn race anyway!!!

Did you know that in his career Cale Yarborough Drove Fords? ( goin for the Ford vote :D ) Mercury's ( maybe a couple Merc fans around ) heck they even named a car after him:
"In 1968 Ford Motor Company produced a Cale Yarborough Special Edition Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II Limited Edition, made to satisfy the NASCAR 500-car minimum production regulations. The car was also called The Talladega/Yarborough Cyclone. There were two engines available. The 429 cubic inch was for the Talladega/Yarborough model and the 351 cubic inch for the Yarborough Cyclone Spoiler II. The Yarborough Cyclone II was discontinued after the first year."

Oldsmobiles ( grandpas allowed to vote )
Pontiacs ( Big Indian fans ) and of course those wicked ass fast Jr Johnson CHEVROLETS!!!

okay Mopar fans yes he even drove a mopar.....four races in 1971 in Ray Fox's #3 Plymouth

I am thinking in the 79 500, Cale made up a 3 lap deficit. Donnie made up two I think, with no lucky dogs.

They both were the class of the field. But Cale was faster. Got to admit I was rooting for Donnie that day.

Nothing against Cale, but Donnie never got a 500, that was as close as he got.

He came close in the mid 70s, in the Digard car before DW drove for them. I think he blew an engine late in the race while running up front.

It wasn't like Donnie was my favorite, I was happy to see Buddy Baker finally get his lone 500 for similar reasons.

Not trying to derail FlFlash, Cale was great and he was faster than Donnie.

Cale quit while he was still fast too. I think the M.C. Anderson outfit just decided to close shop after Cale retired.

Any input is appreciated sir!

Yes he did make up 3 laps in 79 and had the Fastest car in the feild by far but I will admit that was back in the day when cautions came out we could race the leader back to the line. Cale made up those two of those three laps raing back to the line.
Cale as a driver was a fighter, never gave up and drove it 100% every lap.

Back
Top Bottom