Cant wait for Daytona? Check this out

No, THIS is 'How bad have you got it?'

http://www.hendrickmotorsports.com/...r-up-for-high-spirited-races-on-disney-junior

145399_008218.jpg

I started watching it around the halfway point when it was under caution. Went back racing, another caution came out. 6 minute commercial break. Another caution, etc. And the race ends with 21 to go, because of a technical error? Lolz.

For what it's worth, I applaud the folks who put this together to make it appeal to a spectator audience. The main play-by-play commentator actually did a great job. I've always wanted to join iRacing and try it myself, but don't have the time/money to commit to it. Seems like an absolute blast though.

I caught about the first 30 laps or so. I've watched this series before they run Daytona and Talladega and have a chase. I just like how crazy that make some people.

I started watching it around the halfway point when it was under caution. Went back racing, another caution came out. 6 minute commercial break. Another caution, etc. And the race ends with 21 to go, because of a technical error? Lolz.

For what it's worth, I applaud the folks who put this together to make it appeal to a spectator audience. The main play-by-play commentator actually did a great job. I've always wanted to join iRacing and try it myself, but don't have the time/money to commit to it. Seems like an absolute blast though.
How much does it cost to race in iRacing ?

I think it can get pretty costly. The subscription itself I don't think is all that expensive but you have to pay for all the tracks and different series I do believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it can get pretty costly. The subscription itself I don't think is all that expensive but you have to pay for all the tracks and different series I do believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks.

Membership costs can be for a monthly, quarterly, yearly, or biyearly rate. Cheaper if you buy longer, it's like 25 a month but 150 for 2 years. That comes with basic tracks and cars for oval and road racing services. Each new track and car is around 10 bucks each, but if you buy them in bulk they offer discounts. So how much you spend depends on what you want to do with it, and what level you want to race at.

On top of the subscription, there's the computer with it's fancy processor and graphics card, plus the force feedback wheel along with the pedals, shifter, seat, monitors, and whatever else you want. That's a ton of money for something that I might have time to play for a couple hours a week at most.

On top of the subscription, there's the computer with it's fancy processor and graphics card, plus the force feedback wheel along with the pedals, shifter, seat, monitors, and whatever else you want. That's a ton of money for something that I might have time to play for a couple hours a week at most.
Overlooking the costs and time commitment, it sounds too much like work for me to find it enjoyable or entertaining.

iRacing actually has a lot of members with older computers and hardware. You don't need a super computer to run it. Yes you can be one of those guys that spends 10k on a setup, but I use an old logitech wheel and pedals (DFGT) that I bought for $150 about 4 years ago. I also just "updated" my computer with someone else's used graphics card.
I still run an i-5 2500K intel processor with win 7 and I sit at a desk with a 23" monitor that I have had for 5 years or so.

The bottom line is that it is a hobby like any other hobby, and the up front costs are going to be larger than the long term costs like any other hobby. And just like any other hobby, time commitment is always an issue but once you get into the hobby, it is pretty addictive. If you are really interested in it, I think they give out a free month of the subscription for you to try out.

I wrote a huge description in the iracing forum about how it works if you want to learn more about it. https://racing-forums.com/threads/iracing.55094/

So I gather you have to buy a simulator to participate?

Not sure what you mean by simulator, but you need a computer (preferably a desktop computer), and some type of controller (preferably a wheel and pedals opposed to a gaming pad).

Where could one go to try it out?
Well you might ask around on the forum here to see if there is anyone in your neck of the woods, or you could try reddit or craigslist. The better way to go is to buy a used wheel and pedals off ebay for cheap and hook it up you your laptop/desktop and see if you like it. Just go to iracing.com and follow the instructions to become a member. Then download the base content and have fun. If you like it, you can upgrade your computer and controller when you get the funds.
I recommend building your own computer opposed to buying a dell, but before you get to that point, you might as well try the service first.

Back
Top Bottom