Capote & Infamous

buckaroo

Here kitty, kitty, kitty
These two movies are about Truman Capote and his obsession with the killers of a family in Kansas back in 1959 in which he penned the book, In Cold Blood. Both movies I liked, but I think the movie Capote was hyped more by Hollywood and was given better status. But I like the other one better for some reason and the actor who portrayed Capote I thought was a better fit. Capote was a very short man and Phillip Hoffman is not all that short and so that didn't fit. Toby Jones, who played Capote in Infamous, really fit the part well.

I thought both movies showed how involved Capote got with the killers, especially Perry Smith, who was played in Infamous by the new James Bond, Daniel Craig. Infamous didn't delve into the alcoholism that we apparent as did Capote. Capote focused more on Capote, his partner Jack Dunphy and Nelle Harper Lee from the New York and from Kansas, Alvin Dewey, the prosecutor and his family as well as of course, the two killers. Infamous broadened out the New York connection with many more famous people of the time as well as the same Kansas connection.

I highly recommend these two movies.

These movies moved me to order the movie In Cold Blood to watch again. It was more than the two movies that once again got my attention to this horrible crime. At that time, my grandfather was a preacher in Garden City, Kansas and I do recall that he knew this family and I had on at least one occasion gone to the farm I believe to purchase some eggs from their chickens. I can still see the farmhouse, but it's been so long ago now that it's just a distant memory.

Back
Top Bottom