Car navigation

Go Panthers

We are the people our parents warned us about
Alright guys, in in the market for a new car, i understand that you can run your phones navigation through Car Play on the indash screen on some cars.

However only a handful of manufacturers have car play.

Does anyone know if cars that don't have car play allow you to do that?

Does that question make sense?

Food for thought. I don't get in to factory fancy electronics. I feel you won't be able to get updates after a while or they will be insanity expensive. I have a Samsung smart TV and it's not being updated any more. I keep getting notifications that this app and that app aren't being updated anymore.

Good luck on on finding the right car for you. I'm in the market next year

I opted out of the built in navigation system for my new Ram truck and stuck with my dash mounted Garmin. It's too much of a pain to have to return the truck to the dealer for updates and repairs/recalls. If the Garmin goes out it's only a $140 replacement. I still have the in dash screen with all of the other goodies though.

Food for thought. I don't get in to factory fancy electronics. I feel you won't be able to get updates after a while or they will be insanity expensive. I have a Samsung smart TV and it's not being updated any more. I keep getting notifications that this app and that app aren't being updated anymore.

Good luck on on finding the right car for you. I'm in the market next year

Yeah, I'm going tomorrow to look at a car tomorrow that allows Car Play. What that'll do is let me run the navigation through my phone to the screen in the car. Therefore the maps will stay updated as it'll be Apple Maps.

I just bought a smart samsung tv, I'm going to keep an eye on that. Thanks.

I opted out of the built in navigation system for my new Ram truck and stuck with my dash mounted Garmin. It's too much of a pain to have to return the truck to the dealer for updates and repairs/recalls. If the Garmin goes out it's only a $140 replacement. I still have the in dash screen with all of the other goodies though.

That's what I don't like about the onboard navs as well. It seems to me that with technology the way it is, you should be able to update your onboard nav when you pull in the driveway and connect to your home's wifi. I can't believe they haven't taken it to that next step yet.

Right now I use my iPhone for navigation. We went fishing a few years ago for the weekend, during that weekend we were gone, they opened up a new portion of the loop around Charlotte. It was already showing up on my phone when we were coming back. Amazed at how quickly they update the maps that way.

This probably won't help you but I'm going to mount my cell phone to my vehicle and run Google maps.

I'm going to be really careful, it may take me to BFE.

This probably won't help you but I'm going to mount my cell phone to my vehicle and run Google maps.

I'm going to be really careful, it may take me to BFE.

I guess it depends on how much time you are going to be lost, but Google maps and a cell phone will get you where you need to go. Garmin next if you are going to do a lot of out of town driving. I've used them all, they all break after a while in a big truck, but the four wheeler version of Garmin, in conjunction with google maps on a laptop worked great. probably even better in a car.I think you are throwing money away using in car factory nav unless you trade every couple of years.

I guess it depends on how much time you are going to be lost, but Google maps and a cell phone will get you where you need to go. Garmin next if you are going to do a lot of out of town driving. I've used them all, they all break after a while in a big truck, but the four wheeler version of Garmin, in conjunction with google maps on a laptop worked great. probably even better in a car.I think you are throwing money away using in car factory nav unless you trade every couple of years.
You've read about the 5,000 to 7,000 mile road trips we take several times a year. If it wasn't for Garmin I would still be lost, somewhere.

Yeah Garmin is the best bang for your buck IMO. It hardly ever routed me wrong. Some of them,like Rand McNally trucker version has some glitches that will drive you in circles and make you want to slap that little talking beaych off the dash. :p

Yeah Garmin is the best bang for your buck IMO. It hardly ever routed me wrong. Some of them,like Rand McNally trucker version has some glitches that will drive you in circles and make you want to slap that little talking beaych off the dash. :p
I had one non Garmin, I don't remember what it was, that got me lost in Nebraska several years ago. Had a helluva time backing the trailer outta that pasture. I followed it back outta there and left it on the shoulder of the road stomped to pieces. Went to Walmart and bought another Garmin.

I am on my second Garmin when I'm driving my 1994 Ford truck,built before today's technology vehicles.You can go to Apple.com and they have a list of cars available with CarPlay,it's over 200 models.Be aware when you're looking for cars,my wife's 2014 Honda Pilot is having internal engine problems.The Honda mechanics said it's all because of engine shutting off cylinders to save on gas.They call it the Eco mode in a Honda,her next car will not have this.

Alright guys, in in the market for a new car, i understand that you can run your phones navigation through Car Play on the indash screen on some cars.

However only a handful of manufacturers have car play.

Does anyone know if cars that don't have car play allow you to do that?

Does that question make sense?
I don't think that I ever heard of Car Play. I do have integrated navigation in my 2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon X. I can only hook up my phone as a bluetooth device for music/texts and the like. I receive map updates about ever 6 months that I install via a thumb drive through port on the unit.

I also have a Garmin RV 660 unit that I use when traveling. That thing is awesome for RV'ers. I have the height/length/width/weight entered allowing it to route me accordingly. It displays current traffic conditions, weather, and roadway cams. It's a sweet unit.

I also have a Garmin RV 660 unit that I use when traveling. That thing is awesome for RV'ers. I have the height/length/width/weight entered allowing it to route me accordingly. It displays current traffic conditions, weather, and roadway cams. It's a sweet unit.
When my present unit gives up the ghost, It's 5 years old and should expire any moment, I'm getting a Garmin 770 LMT-S. It's hard for me to replace a perfectly good piece of equipment. My wife will have to learn how to hook her smartphone up to it to receive the traffic and weather advisories though. :D

i made the plunge this weekend. I ended up buying a new to me 2016 Honda Accord EX-L. So far I'm impressed, it does everything I thought it would do.

You plug your phone in and a couple of options pop up on the screen. Your phone app, text messages, music, and Navigation all are usable apps on CarPlay. I used it this morning to get to work, and for the price i paid for this car, all the gadgets are really cool. I'm a little blown away.

Of course, I was driving a stripped down model of a 2006 Nissan Altima, so even a freakin aux port and usb connection in a car is a big deal for me LOL.

Friend and I made a couple of lumber runs and he brought along and plugged in his GPS, Garmin? Don't know.
We went to upstate NY. Then other trips to Maine, NH and it took us door to door each time. Then I used
when our daughter was sent to Boston for work, again door to door without a wrong turn. Impressive.

Google Maps on my phone servers me just fine. Never steered me wrong, and does a great job of routing me around accidents or congested areas.

i made the plunge this weekend. I ended up buying a new to me 2016 Honda Accord EX-L. So far I'm impressed, it does everything I thought it would do.

You plug your phone in and a couple of options pop up on the screen. Your phone app, text messages, music, and Navigation all are usable apps on CarPlay. I used it this morning to get to work, and for the price i paid for this car, all the gadgets are really cool. I'm a little blown away.

Of course, I was driving a stripped down model of a 2006 Nissan Altima, so even a freakin aux port and usb connection in a car is a big deal for me LOL.
So you have to plug it in? doesn't do it with buletooth?

So you have to plug it in? doesn't do it with buletooth?

You can do the turn by turn via Bluetooth, but it doesn't display the map that way.

I need to read up on all of the stuff they announced today. I think CarPlay might be wireless on the new phones.

Congrats on the new car. Nice vehicles.

Back
Top Bottom