Caraway and NWSMT

SpeedPagan

The iRacing Guru
How the Hel did Caraway get six races for the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour? I'm sorry, but Caraway sucks when it comes to the Modifieds, it's no better than Bowman Gray or the Charlotte Legends Oval.

Hickory should get a date, and Southern National should get more dates. These are just two tracks in NC that I've heard from other Mods fan that put on a great show when the Mods come to town.

How the Hel did Caraway get six races for the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour? I'm sorry, but Caraway sucks when it comes to the Modifieds, it's no better than Bowman Gray or the Charlotte Legends Oval.

Hickory should get a date, and Southern National should get more dates. These are just two tracks in NC that I've heard from other Mods fan that put on a great show when the Mods come to town.

The NASCAR Caraway Speedway Modified Series.

I think the problem with the Mods isn't the car themselves, it's the track that they race on, at least on the Southern tour. These cars have engine that produces 600 hp or close to it. You're just not going to get good racing when you have that much HP under the hood on a bullring track.

I always thought that was pretty weird to have so many races at the same track. The northern modifieds do a bit of that too, 4 at Stafford, 3 at Thompson. Seems like any more than 2 dates at 1 track in a year is a little excessive for a big touring series. The race I went to at Caraway was OK, nothing special (i have been to 5 modified tour races and none of them have been great yet...). Really nice facility though, wouldn't mind seeing how K&N would do there...

I guess you could say they ...

*puts on shades*

... got a little Car-ried away when they made the schedule.

I think the problem with the Mods isn't the car themselves, it's the track that they race on, at least on the Southern tour. These cars have engine that produces 600 hp or close to it. You're just not going to get good racing when you have that much HP under the hood on a bullring track.

One of the people who works for us that's been going to Modified races for over 20 years said the race at Hickory was the best Modified race in ages. And Hickory is, by every definition, a bullring.

The Modified dates are bought and paid for. I can't remember how much it is for the race, I want to say $15,000 but I think it's higher. A lot of tracks won't pay that for a NASCAR Modified race because there's no guarantee they'll even break even. Especially down in this area. Modifieds are about the only thing that bring a crowd to Caraway and it brings a huge crowd for them. Ace and Bowman Gray are about the only other tracks where Modifieds are popular. I want to like asphalt Modified racing, I really do, but I have yet to see a race that's even mildly entertaining.

The Modified dates are bought and paid for. I can't remember how much it is for the race, I want to say $15,000 but I think it's higher. A lot of tracks won't pay that for a NASCAR Modified race because there's no guarantee they'll even break even. Especially down in this area. Modifieds are about the only thing that bring a crowd to Caraway and it brings a huge crowd for them. Ace and Bowman Gray are about the only other tracks where Modifieds are popular. I want to like asphalt Modified racing, I really do, but I have yet to see a race that's even mildly entertaining.

Well I plan on going to the next Modified race at Hickory, maybe you can come with me. I've heard great things about the KOMA Modified race that was there a few weeks ago and I want to check it out for myself.

I want to like asphalt Modified racing, I really do, but I have yet to see a race that's even mildly entertaining.

I gotta agree with this statement, its the same thing for me with late models (except dirt). The cars (modifieds and late models) are awesome, but I just have not seen any great races with them. Usually the modified races I have been to (except the Daytona wreckfest) are just boring, follow the leader, nothing happens. I'll probably go to another one, but only if its convenient...

I gotta agree with this statement, its the same thing for me with late models (except dirt). The cars (modifieds and late models) are awesome, but I just have not seen any great races with them. Usually the modified races I have been to (except the Daytona wreckfest) are just boring, follow the leader, nothing happens. I'll probably go to another one, but only if its convenient...

You haven't gone to the right track for Late Model racing.

You haven't gone to the right track for Late Model racing.

Irwindale, Daytona, Motor Mile, All American, Thunderhill raceway, might be a few others.
And maybe you are right, although I've seen great races with other series at the same tracks that the late models were crap. And it wasn't just that they were follow the leader, they were wreckfests... I'm sure I'll see late models run again, running the same day as ARCA, K&N or something but from what i've seen its not worth going to them on their own... I like the modified tour better than them and i'm not all that thrilled by the modified tour.

One of the people who works for us that's been going to Modified races for over 20 years said the race at Hickory was the best Modified race in ages. And Hickory is, by every definition, a bullring.

I haven't been to Hickory in about 20 years, and I only went the old Busch races there.

But it is about 3/8s of a mile, and has some banking. I have to believe they would put on a great race there. I have seen the Modifieds race at Anderson SC, about the same size track and it was great.

Another thing about Hickory is the seating, it so close and intimate to the track. I get a better raw feel there, than anywhere else.

Irwindale, Daytona, Motor Mile, All American, Thunderhill raceway, might be a few others.
And maybe you are right, although I've seen great races with other series at the same tracks that the late models were crap. And it wasn't just that they were follow the leader, they were wreckfests... I'm sure I'll see late models run again, running the same day as ARCA, K&N or something but from what i've seen its not worth going to them on their own... I like the modified tour better than them and i'm not all that thrilled by the modified tour.

Oh, when you get a great race at Motor Mile, it's memorable. Not a wreckfest, just good hard racing. But that's not very common - you'll get that maybe once a year.

I've never been to Irwindale but that track's built for the bigger cars. You need to find a good track to go to.

Back
Top Bottom