Carbon Monoxide Posioning

B

boB

With all the attention Rick Mast's condition has been receiving of late, I found it rather interesting to read Dr. Olgivy's statement concerning the fact that everyone thought this was only a short term condition.
Over forty years ago I suffered from serious carbon monoxide poisoning working in an improperly ventilated dealership. At that time our local doctors told me that carbon monoxide builds up in your lungs and blood stream and that each time you are exposed to it, it takes a lesser amount for a lethal dosage.
While NASCAR is looking at solutions for the drivers, my question is what about the spectators in the infield at tracks like Martinsville and especially Bristol?
Carbon monoxide is heavier than air and I have to wonder about the concentrations in the enclosed areas of the infield and lower tiers of the grandstands at those tracks during a 500 lap race.
I seem to remember people being treated at a couple of races at one or the other of those tracks in the past and would, out of idle curiousity, like to see just what the levels are on a hot, humid afternoon or evening.
Just one more issue to give a little thought too before we get the season under way.

I have always wondered what the levels are at Bristol....being such a confined area. I'd like to see a study done to determine this, and to determine the levels in the car at all the tracks.

I'm thinking that was the track where they had some fans overcome at one of the night races.
I know that it has been an issue with some of the crews and hospitality people who were confined in the infield for the duration of an event until they built that pedestrian tunnel a little while back.

Plus about Bristol their mountains that are on all sides of the track. That also have to be keeping the carbon monoxide from lifting quickly too. I dont know if any of this makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom