Carl Edwards

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by jaqua19, Nov 5, 2019.

1. jaqua19

jaqua19 Team Owner

Anyone surprised that Carl hasn't run an Xfinity or a truck race since retiring? He said multiple times he isn't "retiring". Also, seeing him at Texas in 2018 here and talking about missing it, I'm wondering if Carl's decision wasn't fully his. Maybe there was a family discussion.

Don't know, maybe Carl wasn't ready to step down, but he elected to in support of his wife and kid's feelings about it. Idk, miss seeing Carl in a car.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

sdj likes this.
  2. Biggreen695

Biggreen695 Team Owner

I wasn't a fan of him while he was in the sport, but now that hes not driving anymore I truly miss him. He was fun to watch.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3. KTMLew01

KTMLew01 Team Owner

I think that last crashed he had was a wake up call. Lost the championship and nearly got killed at same time. Think he just said this sh!t ain't worth it.

4. Reck

Reck Team Owner

He had politcial aspirations. What happened to that?

5. ChexOrWrex

ChexOrWrex Ya gotta wanna

Carl said his biggest reason for leaving was his health. I don’t imagine he’d risk it for a one off race.

KTMLew01 likes this.
  6. aunty dive

aunty dive Team Owner

Some people quit at or near their best performance level.

I like that.

7. Larsonfan1995

Larsonfan1995 Team Owner

Too bad Carl didn't win the title that year and then walk away. Miss him out there. He's a great personality.

Michfan likes this.
  8. Greg

Greg 2014 RF YAHOO CHAMP Your leader

I think he is done.
    Even if he changed his mind which would be surprising, getting a ride with a top team would be tough.
    Rides are more scarce now

Kiante, Michfan and LewTheShoe like this.
  9. be9ak7ts16

be9ak7ts16 Johali Lives

I always figured he was going to retire when he missed his first backflip.

Kiante, Michfan and Greg like this.
  10. Switchback

Switchback Team Owner

I agree, he's not coming back. He would have a big learning curve and not getting any younger.
    He
    was a great talent with an interesting personality, the sky was the limit. I respect that he walked away when he lost the passion instead of riding around putting money in the bank.

11. Turtle84

Turtle84 gained a step

The Barry Sanders of NASCAR.

RacerrecaR, Snappy D and aunty dive like this.
  12. DUN24

DUN24 Skeptical of the Spectacle

I'm pretty sure Carl is traveling trans-continentaly via sail boat. Probably doesn't even know who is in championship contention. Good for him I say. Never been a huge fan but you'll be hard-pressed to find a driver who's been screwed over more often by the sanctioning body.

Michfan, Larsonfan1995, Joker and 3 others like this.
  13. Truex_rox

Truex_rox 19 looks better than ever.

Nico Rosberg.

Turtle84 and aunty dive like this.
  14. hidesert cowboy

hidesert cowboy Team Owner

Same here

15. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

Good for him to walk away the way he did.

16. Truex_rox

Him, Matt Kenseth, and Jeff Gordon could all file a complaint. :p

17. Clutch

Clutch Team Owner

Try Robby Gordon

DUN24 likes this.
  18. ChexOrWrex

sky, gnomesayin and sdj like this.
  19. Charlie Spencer

Charlie Spencer Remember the Gator

No.
    Leaving a door open doesn't require him to ever walk through it.

RacerrecaR and sdj like this.
  20. MRM

MRM Team Owner

One day, I'd like to hear Carl say why he really retired. I feel like we're not getting the whole story. Maybe it's one thing, maybe it's several things. But to disappear like he has done is quite bewildering.

Team Penske and RacerrecaR like this.
  21. sdj

sdj Just a race fan

[QUOTE="MRM, post: 1641091, member: 356 But to disappear like he has done is quite bewildering.[/QUOTE]

I think Carl is one of those people that is either in it 100% or he is out, no middle of the road. JMHO

Kiante, ChexOrWrex and Larsonfan1995 like this.
  22. Michfan

Michfan Team Owner

As a huge Carl fan it was frustrating to watch him struggle with crappy Roush cars the last couple years and then retire when he was back in a top tier ride. I respect his decision tho.

Blaze and Truex_rox like this.
  23. MRM

MRM Team Owner

Maybe. He was such an attention whore when he was driving, his disappearance from everyone is what's so mind blowing.

24. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

Yep, Carl never met a camera he didn't like

25. Truex_rox

Yet he shuns social media and does not share hardly any aspects of his private life with his fans around the globe, especially now - which is kind of refreshing, tbh.

AuzGrams and Switchback like this.
  26. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

He would of made a hell of an announcer I think while I listen to the gerbils butchering the race.

Stu Jameson, Hotrod and sdj like this.
  27. kyle busch 18

kyle busch 18 1ST PLACE!

Carl was fake as hell. He tried to come off as like a squeaky clean good guy but it always felt like he was hiding something he just seemed really odd to me. Bipolar maybe. It kind of slipped out when he had the roid rage moment vs kenseth. Plus he always talked about ford this and ford that and how great ford was. Then jumps in a toyota like wtf. What a poser he was

28. Larsonfan1995

Larsonfan1995 Team Owner

How dare he talk good about his sponsor and jump ship from a sinking Roush team to the powerhouse JGR

29. Charlie Spencer

Charlie Spencer Remember the Gator

Dude, they ALL do that.

30. ChexOrWrex

I dont expect anything less from someone who spent decades in the limelight.

If it were me I’d be nekkid on an island and nobody would hear from me again.

31. KTMLew01

KTMLew01 Team Owner

I was hoping Danica would go that route. But nope. Now she's all into her touchy/feely feelings crap. Be positive sh!t. When you have enough money to never have to work another day easy to be positive. AND GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

Clutch, Dr_B_UNC and Hotrod like this.
  32. AndyMarquisLive

AndyMarquisLive Short Track Fanatic

Mark Martin's 1990 Winston Cup championship and 2007 Daytona 500 say hi.

Can't forget about 2002 either. Or Michigan in 2004.

Larsonfan1995 likes this.
  33. ChexOrWrex

Elaborate?

34. Truex_rox

Nah, maybe he's just a humble, classy guy who didn't feel the need to always act imposing a la Harvick. He could have taken most anybody on among the drivers, yet you never really saw that happen. He never really was one to get too far down the rabbit hole as far as downing anyone else goes. Keselowski may have been the only one that got a rise out of him, and we all remember why.

You can't tell me that if you were a proven winning race car driver, you wouldn't try to get the best deals and the best cars possible. Look at where Roush is now! He was carrying the team after the other faithful Roush minion(s) saw the writing on the wall and jumped ship. Biffle went out with hardly a whimper, but probably would have met a different, better outcome had he followed suit.

Man, everyday I find myself asking why I am continuing to use social media... things like Facebook and Twitter have strayed so very, very far from what they were intended to be used for afaic.

35. sdj

sdj Just a race fan

Yep, I remember that well, always will. I lost total respect for him after that event. That fake punch was totally uncalled for, especially doing it during Matt's interview on TV.

On a personal note, I do not care if Carl Edwards ever races again.

Clutch, dirtfan and StandOnIt like this.
  36. Team Penske

Team Penske Team Owner

Has anyone considered that walking away from Nascar was NOT Carl's decision? He may have stepped over the line as a husband/father and leaving Nascar with his fortune and family intact was the best deal he could make.

37. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

you missed out on a great headline for the drama mags at the supermarket when Carl left the sport, honorable mention for the tin foil hat crowd.

AuzGrams and KTMLew01 like this.
  38. Team Penske

Team Penske Team Owner

The tabloids do a pretty good business making known the pitiful
    morals of the famous.

39. KTMLew01

KTMLew01 Team Owner

Seems pretty clear to me. Did you watch the video of the wreck? That could have gone really bad. But YMMV. I believe what he said was he wanted to walk away healthy. If he still had any interest in racing he would have bought a dirt mod or something like that and gone racing. He done. Figures his number may be up next crash.

40. Dr_B_UNC

Dr_B_UNC Team Owner

Carl was right there. Best line though was Harvick: "Same guy (Smith) ruined Bristol."

AndyMarquisLive likes this.