Carlos Pardo

F

foehammer111

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/news/story?id=4259654

Carlos Pardo, a driver in the NASCAR Corona Series, lost his life in a crash at a track in Pueblo, east of Mexico City. Pardo was leading the race on lap 97 when he was bumped from behind, and crashed into the wall at the entrance to pit lane. He was taken to a hospital, and pronounced dead 45 minutes later.

Pardo was later declared winner of the race. He won the series championship in 2004 and had 10 career victories in 74 races.

Isn't that the same kind of hit that reuti or mcdowell took at watkins glen last year? Does mexico not use CoT?

Isn't that the same kind of hit that reuti or mcdowell took at watkins glen last year? Does mexico not use CoT?

Now that you mention it, yes the crashes were simular. Except this one happened at over 120mph on an oval track. Carlos slid into the water barrels after getting spun. The car just disintigrated.

It actually reminds me of Michael Waltrips 1990 Bristol crash. There was literaly nothing left of the car except the rollcage. Even that appeared to be badly damaged. The pit wall appeared to have impaled the right side of the rollcage. This series doesn't use the CoT. They look more like late model stock cars that Camping World series uses.

You can watch the video on YouTube, but I wont link to it directly out of respect. It's really distubing actually. A part of me died when they showed the footage of the driver's wife running up to the car while the rescue crews worked on getting him out. She took one look, and nearly fainted as she ran back to the infield. They covered the strecher with a blue tarp as they moved him to an ambulance. Then then moved him to a helicopter that landed right on the track.

Lots of emotion on display. Even his fellow racers were shown openly crying on TV.

candle-1.gif
467164k76fs8r3di.gif
Rest In Peace.

Thanks to whoever changed this section to checkered flag.

Actually, it's more like the crash Jeff Gordon had at Las Vegas last year where these was no safer barrier. Because of that crash, there is now safer barrier in that place. Jeff was really lucky. While most of his car held together, his radiator and other parts went flying on to the track and he said that was the worst hit he's ever taken. It was also close to the end of the race, although Jeff was running third at the time, not first.

So tragic. Since Chad Little works out of Charlotte on that series, I certainly hope NASCAR does something about the safety there.

The crash at The Glen sent Bobby LaBonte into the tire barrier entering pit road. I think the other cars hit on the outside wall. It was still scary looking.

So tragic. Since Chad Little works out of Charlotte on that series, I certainly hope NASCAR does something about the safety there.

Definately NASCAR will make huge safety improvements to this series.

After seeing this crash, I'm reminded of how NASCAR used to be in what's called the "golden era" between '48 and '72. Guys like Lee Petty only had a leather helmet, polo shirt, and a lap seat belt for protection. Daytona only had a guard rail for an outside wall, and there was no fence to protect fans.

The drivers in the Mexico series race for the same reasons Lee Petty did: for the love of the sport. They knew it was dangerous, and a lot of people died, but that's the way it was. Safety improvements came along as the technology got better, but that took time.

Today, the safety improvements already exsist, but for whatever reason were not in place to prevent this tragic event. I wouldn't be surprised if they have their own version of the CoT in a couple years, and SAFER barriers at all the tracks.

Back
Top Bottom