$$, cars, and college

Magnethead

Admin & Resident Techie
Staff member
I hve to wonder, if these are huge loans in parrallel to college, or just people with alot of money

200? Mustang
200? Dodge Ram
195? Nomad
196? GT 350
2009 Challenger

Takes all kinds. I know a guy who has 2 climate controled buildings to house his collection of 30+ muscle cars, he has a couple of Yenko's. Never worked a day in his life. Old family money.

I also know a guy, John, who spent 10 years restoring a 1959 El Camino.

My Doctor, who out of the office is a close friend, just finished a Cobra kit car. I helped a little but not much. Took him 3 years. It was his relaxation therapy, he don't smoke,drink, chew or cuss.

Kip is building a '32 Furd, fiberglass!!!! Blasphemy!!

All depends on your station in life, Gary who owns the 30+ muscle cars has 2 employees who do nothing but basically wash,wax and blow up the tires. He couldn't change a flat tire if his life depended on it. My Doc, John and Kip know every nut and bolt on theirs.

As far as I know none took out loans, Gary and my Doc can afford the luxury.
John and Kip worked out of pocket, scrimped and saved.
I respect those that build their own, not so much those that buy the ready made. But I appreciate the fact they are saving them.

Takes all kinds. I know a guy who has 2 climate controled buildings to house his collection of 30+ muscle cars, he has a couple of Yenko's. Never worked a day in his life. Old family money.

I also know a guy, John, who spent 10 years restoring a 1959 El Camino.

My Doctor, who out of the office is a close friend, just finished a Cobra kit car. I helped a little but not much. Took him 3 years. It was his relaxation therapy, he don't smoke,drink, chew or cuss.

Kip is building a '32 Furd, fiberglass!!!! Blasphemy!!

All depends on your station in life, Gary who owns the 30+ muscle cars has 2 employees who do nothing but basically wash,wax and blow up the tires. He couldn't change a flat tire if his life depended on it. My Doc, John and Kip know every nut and bolt on theirs.

As far as I know none took out loans, Gary and my Doc can afford the luxury.
John and Kip worked out of pocket, scrimped and saved.
I respect those that build their own, not so much those that buy the ready made. But I appreciate the fact they are saving them.
I can't agree better

One of my friends back home has a 66 mustang. only has a V6, it's all manual, and yea, he's hit a few things with it (brake failure among others). But it's still his daily driver. Completely rebuilt it in their 1 car garage, from completely replacing the front half of the floor to converting the garage to a paint booth.

He's 16, and his dad's a pastor. Go figure.

l_503b42637dd15809755c35472de2816a.jpg

I hve to wonder, if these are huge loans in parrallel to college, or just people with alot of money
They went to Washington and asked Pelosi/Reid for some stimulus for their small business and got their free money.

Very nice,,,too bad it's a Furd. :D

One thing I've observed over the years. If you buy it and wreck it you go buy another. If you build it and it's carrying your blood, sweat even tears you don't do stupid things to tear it up.

This is not mine but I owned and drove its twin that I bought new every day for 8 years. Same color and trim but of course I had the Crager 5 spoke SS wheels. Only car I ever kept that long that I didn't build. Dammm I miss it,,that car could haul the mail.

1969-Chevrolet-Camaro-Blue-SS-396-b.jpg

That's a late 60's Chevy I believe. i had a '68 and it looks very familar.

hmm. Didn't realize the chevy's had the pointed hoods like the fords. :p

oughta look good when done though

I'm envious to say the least. SST, when I was in the AF in North Dakota, one of the kids had a Yenko, the only one that I have ever seen. Yellow as I recall and he was looking for a guy who had a Shelby GT500. Never did see if those two guys got together, but it would have been a sight for sure. All of my life I wanted to build and have a "street rod" but my priorities were never in a position where I could swing that dream.

Buck,
You can swing that dream. You just can't do it in one 'night'. Ernie and I have built a couple. The SUPER BUG was a mid 60's VW body with a 327 sitting on a tube frame. A '29 Chev coupe with a 4 banger 2300cc Furd motor. We build'em different huh?
2 cars in 20 years, we don't rush nor do we ever take money out of our houses. We are excellant scroungers too.:D
Don't give up the dream, you can do it.

and it's always nice to be building it in a garage.The first 4-5 years with my truck were outside or a friends backyard.I hated that.Now I got nothing but time and a roof over it,just wished I had more money.

and it's always nice to be building it in a garage.The first 4-5 years with my truck were outside or a friends backyard.I hated that.Now I got nothing but time and a roof over it,just wished I had more money.
I hear that!

Buck,
You can swing that dream. You just can't do it in one 'night'. Ernie and I have built a couple. The SUPER BUG was a mid 60's VW body with a 327 sitting on a tube frame. A '29 Chev coupe with a 4 banger 2300cc Furd motor. We build'em different huh?
2 cars in 20 years, we don't rush nor do we ever take money out of our houses. We are excellant scroungers too.:D
Don't give up the dream, you can do it.

I'm a reallist and I know the limitations that I face. I don't have 20 years that I can dedicate to this project now. Hell, I would want to enjoy the car, but I'm not sure the wife would allow me to smoke the tires when I'm 80. :) Nah, I know what I can have and what I can't. Like I said, priorities, priorities, priorities. Another dream that I've had is to own a boat, not a big one, just one that the wife and I could enjoy on the weekends. But a huge problem for me is that I work on the weekends. A boat would then be more of a waste of money for us. No, instead of a street rod or a boat, we take vacations, or go to the races. Maybe in my next life I'll change priorities and get some toys when I'm younger. ;)

Attachments

• 25_T_bucket_028.jpg
    25_T_bucket_028.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 133
I've had more than one dream about having one of those. But hey, I'd love to have the old '55 Chevy that I once had. Nothing to brag about with a 6 cylinder and three on the tree that I converted to a Hurst shifter. Competition Orange that one was. But my hot rod was a '56 Frod with a nice little 283. Auto shift though but I could smoke the tires with it. Blew the motor one night coming home from a date. I also had fun working on the folks '59 Chevy with a 348. Man they sure don't make cars like they used to.

Attachments

• Jims55.jpg
    Jims55.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 120
Thats an older Dodge. Not all the uncommon with some of the college students around here that live or work on farms. I'd say the older cars are from money while the New Stang and Challanger would be up to their eyes balls or money.

you might check with the president there might be something in the new stimulus package it might qualify for.

I had 4 Camaros when I was in my teens and early to mid 20s: 69 hadrtop,with a 350 Hurst 4 speed,Holley 4 barrel, a 69 ragtop with a 350 , powerglide tranny, 70 1/2 SS, 350 with the 3 speed handle shift in console. That car would haul and it was all stock, taught my first wife how to drive on that car. Man I could never get it away from her. Then I had a 74 Lt, the least favorite of the 4. Wish I still had that 69 hardtop, my dad and I started rebuilding it, re-did the entire front end, motor, but never finished it, bought it for $600 back in 1980. I always wanted a 68 Roadrunner or 70 Cuda, man thiose cars were sweet! Still are, but way out of my league now.

I myself have 4 toys, I've collected them over the years and took a loan out on only one of them. In 1982 I bought my first new car, a Mercury Capri RS with a 5.0 and a 4 speed. In a couple months I'll be celebrating 27 years of ownership. Also that same year I bought a 1975 Bronco for a salt car so I could put the Capri in storage because I planned to keep the Capri tilHell froze over. The Bronco is currently in a state of major disrepair and is scheduled to be my retirement project. In 2001 I ran a cross a 1968 Torino GT Fastback, that I bought cash. Thats what I'm currently working on. The 4th toy is a 1948 Farm-All B tractor. My dad and Granddad bought it new, Thats my other retirement project. You don't have to spend a ton of money on stuff, just kind of accumulate over the years. I was 10 years out of high school when I bought the Capri.

Back
Top Bottom