Cart and F1 Times Comparison?

A

all4leisure

Just wondering, are the track layouts for the F1 and Cart race in montreal this year identical? Wouldnt it be cool to finally compare lap times at the same circuit? Anyone know? The track layouts LOOK the same on paper.

As far as i know the track layout will be the same. Because the track is basically surrounded by the St.Lawerence river, there isnt much that can be done easily. But i can tell u right now that the champ car will be way off the f1 pace. You have to remember a champ car wieghts about 400 pounds more than an f1 machine and produces about the same horsepower, if not a little less.I would expect the champ cars to be about 7-10 seconds off the pole of the f1 grid.

My feeling is that the F1 is quicker, also. I really hope its the same layout, but I have a feeling the governing bodies don't want allow that. We'll see Friday.

No paul, maybe not quite 7-10 seconds but i bet that the polesitter wouldnt make within 107% of the f1 pole time.

nice page there 6_17_97_99:thumbsup:

Even though Cart has top speed it comes down to the champ cars being like 200 pounds heavier and having smaller tires(about 4in front and about 1 rear), it isn't that huge of a circuit so I am sticking with paul and sayin about 3 sec or so

I just had an interesting conversation with a very knowledgeable friend of mine (former cart official) and his opinion is that the vast difference will lie in the f1 cars braking ability as compared to the cart cars.

Yep all4 I agree. The F1 cars being so much lighter and having carbon brakes instead of steel decelerate a lot faster that any of the CART cars. Under braking is where the F1 cars gain the advantage in lap times.

As for the time difference I will guess that the CART cars will be 5 - 6 seconds slower.

;)

See Paul, I told u so! lol, we where saying in general that the f1 cars would be faster not that one will run faster with carbon fibre brakes. F1 cars also accelerate faster running smaller 1st,2nd, and 3rd gears and Canada no being a particularly fast track the F1 cars will rocket out of the corners faster. Although on the other side the long back strait will host advantage to the champ cars because they run higher 5th and 6th gears, with 4th being almost equal between the two.

Hey according to today's times the fastest CART time was almost 6 seconds slower than a F1 car. What do I win for being in the right region???????

Then again maybe I should not ask!!!

;)

You win a free post, feel free to use it any time you want.

But, A CHAMP car would run circles around an F1 car on an oval.

I don't know man, will probally depend on the oval, we talkin Dega' here or Martinsville? Dega' for sure would be F1 eatin 2.65liter turbocharged exhaust, on the the other hand anything less than a superspeedway would be the other way around, but I have a felling Bebi will explain for this mystery.

Paul, collect some more funds and set up a test with a F1 and a Champ car so we can figure this stuff out :)

LMAO Nate! Huh actaully I dont really know which one would eat the dust. Of course an F1 car would have to be altered to run ovals with banking or almost flat like at Indy. If side by side no alterations, a Champ car unfortuantly, would dust an F1 car:( But on the other hand an F1 cars tires couldn't handle running 3-4 g's for two hours being grooved, thats like running rain tires in 100 degree weather. Not gonna last very long. Another aspect is that an F1 car is built for agility not necessaryly speed. Although top speeds are close an F1 car can barely handle their longest flat out run of about 15-25 seconds at Indy coming onto the track inbetween turns 1 and 2 and going backwards through turn 1 down the long straight and turning into their turn one right before turn 4 on the track. So basically if u arent sleeping right now your answer is the Champ car will hold an F1 car by the throat on an oval Paul.

Its not just the fact that F1 cars have carbon brakes and are lighter, but that they also have traction control, power steering, and semi/full automatic gearchanges. Champ cars are also turbocharged so they are affected in some ways by turbo lag. All that amounts to the 6-7 seconds per lap slower. IN a nutshell, F1 cars are simply the most advanced cars in the world.

Cmon people, F1 cars are not designed for oval racing! A F1 car would literlly explode into peices if it were on a superspeedway and clouted a wall. Champ and IRL cars are purposely built for oval racing, while F1 cars are defintily not, so don't be saying "what if...?"!

aw come on Zak! I aint even that serious. And besides all open-wheel cars explode when they hit the wall. But this is all hypothetically speaking and of course everyone wonders about this so if u want to ruin our fun go to the Nascar forums and jack with them.

fun with 2 really fast cars :) What I say though is when the F1 boys roll into indy, have the champ cars all lined up on the oval waitin for them, oh yeah:) might have to provoke the F1 guys to race by having tracy giving MS the finger and saying "you girls need ten cylinders to beat us" then MS would give the finger right back and say "19pounds of boost and you still are weaker and look at those front tiers, they are so little, haha" and it would be on:D

LMAO!!!!! God would that be the day! Paul vs. Micheal! But the chances of that happening are as low as a Minardi winning at Spa this weekend, so i wouldnt count on it but if the CART guys arent running that weekend then i would expect to see some them girls hanging around indy.

Back
Top Bottom