Championship Scenarios

H

HardScrabble

Jim Utter over at the TR website has laid out a few scenarios for the fans keeping close tabs on the Championship chase.

There are several scenarios under which Tony Stewart could wrap up his first Winston Cup championship this weekend at Phoenix. If Stewart gained 73 points on second-place Mark Martin, he would leave with a 185-point lead and would win the title even if he did not race at the season finale at Homestead, Fla., next weekend. If Stewart gained just 39 points on Martin, he would need only to take the green-flag at the season finale to win the championship. And finally, if Stewart finished 11th or better in the final two races, he would win the title regardless of the performance of any other driver. Several other scenarios come into play, based on Martin's performance. Among them: Should Martin finish 16th or higher at Phoenix, Stewart couldn't clinch the title this weekend, and Martin could not take the points lead this weekend if Stewart finished 39th or better. In the event the points battle ended up a tie, the driver with the most wins would be the champion. Right now that is Stewart with three to Martin's one. However, should Martin win the final two races, they would be tied and the tie-breaker would move to second-place finishes, then third, and so forth to determine a champion

:D It is going to be interesting to see how things turn out this weekend.

I personally think that tomorrow's race will determine the champion, even if it isn't literally cliched. I think that if Mark has a strong run and gains a lot of points on Tony, he'll be able to parlay that momentum (along with the 2nd from Rockingham) and Tony's would-be slump into a championship. I think that if Tony gets the better of the two at Phoenix, that boost of confidence along with his past success at Homestead will be too much to overcome. Just my opinion.

I'd go along with those thoughts strids.

It is fairly clear that with points gap where it is now Mark needs some help from the Home Depot team. Help the Gibbs bunch has been unwilling to offer up of late.

Last week looked for most of the race as if things might really swing in Marks's favor but Tony and Greg hung in there to do what a championship has to do. Get all there is from a bad day.

I think Mark needs to either be ahead of Tony goint to Miami OR at least be within 20 points to have a realistic shot. Tony is just too good at Miami.

Therefore, unless something happens to Tony, I think he's got it.

Back
Top Bottom