charters ????

Because they don’t control it.

The silence coming from the negotiations is deafening. I think they’re in for a rough ride.
OK, forget NASCAR, why would the RTA want to get rid if it

Games change with the times, and while there's certainly teams that would like to be in NASCAR, the number of them that can't afford a charter and which you could bet on having long, successful tenures is not going to generate a big long list. Eliminating the charters at this point would be an existential risk to the business models of the teams and thus is essentially non-negotiable regardless of what the split resembles for NASCAR.

NASCAR just happened to be one of the last international, top flight racing series to not guarantee entry to a limited field of competitors. But it is inevitable due to costs, especially with ancillary revenue looking more like the late 80s than the late 90s.
Is that not what I've been saying? No one is getting rid of the Charters, regardless who introduced them. Some say they are now worth anywhere from 25-50 million. They are here to stay.

Because they don’t control it.

The silence coming from the negotiations is deafening. I think they’re in for a rough ride.
If NASCAR tries to eliminate the charter system, the only real asset for the owners, they would be committing business suicide, and they know it. My question is
It's the single largest thing that is currently preventing growth in the number of teams. More teams = more sponsorship opportunities and more activation. I doubt NASCAR wanted to reduce field size from 43 as much as it was then just adjusting to a new reality, and now I think they see growth possible on the horizon. The new spec-ish cars change the dynamics for potential owners quite a bit and I'm sure that was part of the overall desired package.
More teams also equals diluting the charter.

If NASCAR tries to eliminate the charter system, the only real asset for the owners, they would be committing business suicide, and they know it. My question is

More teams also equals diluting the charter.
Disregard the "my question is, I meant to delete and timed out

OK, forget NASCAR, why would the RTA want to get rid if it

Is that not what I've been saying? No one is getting rid of the Charters, regardless who introduced them. Some say they are now worth anywhere from 25-50 million. They are here to stay.
The RTA doesn't want to get rid of charters. The entity that does want to get rid of charters is NASCAR. You're right in that NASCAR tried to eliminate the charter system it would be committing a form of business suicide. That doesn't mean they won't keep trying all through the next 18 months. They want a future similar to what a lot of people here want, which is a racing series where pretty much everything is performance-driven in terms of money. The problem is that for the people who are actually racing the cars, it doesn't make a lick of sense at this level of expense. That's why you don't see people qualifying in on time in pretty much any series anywhere in the world above the short track level. Even then, you still have provisional starting spots and the like in the World of Outlaws and contractual agreements with promoters across entire seasons.

Also, yes, NASCAR beat unionization efforts before. Those efforts weren't with the owners. Also NASCAR still had a healthy ARCA series around to basically use for car count when they busted the attempt with ARCA having a largely similar rule set. It's not the 1970s anymore. ARCA's chassis are, what, 3 permutations behind current Cup cars in "generation"? Also there's the slight problem of ARCA being a total ride buyer series comprised of teenagers and not bringing enough cars to even match the average person's number of digits for counting to most events.

Stewart Hass is rumored to be getting ready to sell 2 of their charters for between 40-50 million each and Almirola will not be back nor will Smithfield

with only 36 cars showing up,iam starting not to see the point of all of this. iam keeping my 50 million and just show up each week.
Other than a guaranteed starting spot each week, what else does a charter get anyone that has one?

Imagine being able to start

More money.
Not only that, but the purse money is distributed in part based on past performance. To what degree, no one I've ever seen will say, but the prior three years of points finishes for a team may even be the primary factor. It's extremely funny to me how opaque racing is with money because then it forces all of us to look like fools trying to talk about it.

Back
Top Bottom