Chilli Bowl

I've attended several back in the day, and watched every one since they've been televised / streamed.

Honestly, that A-Main was below average for the event. They spent a lot of time reworking the track, but they missed it and the groove was too narrow. A lot of great racing throughout the week, and the B features were the best racing of Saturday.

I don't rate races, but that's my opinion. NASCAR Bristol is a totally different animal because they are going to aim for an extremely hard packed surface to withstand 500 laps. It will inevitably take rubber (which is what they're trying to avoid at Chili Bowl), and more resemble pavement.
Bristol is gonna run 500 laps? On dirt?

Bristol is gonna run 500 laps? On dirt?
I don't think they announced the format yet, but that be the longest feature that I'm aware of on dirt by 300 laps

I just cut my cable cords and my new streaming device had this available so I was pretty excited to watch it. The heat races, B&C Main Events weren't bad, but I was pretty disappointed in the final. Larson just basically ran away with it. Other than catching the occasional snippet of a dirt race on TV here and there, this was the first time I sat down and watched an entire evening of dirt racing since I was a little kid and used to go to Ascot and El Toro in Southern California, so overall I did enjoy the evening!

I wanna come back to this. Why do we think that drivers have to absolutely name every sponsor they can? It makes the interviews inorganic and forced. Just let them say whatever they want in the moment, it brings out unique personality that is needed so much.

Besides, TRD has their logo everywhere around that track and in victory lane. That is the ad space they paid for, it should suffice. Nobody is purchasing a Toyota street car because a dirt midget won a race.

It can come across as inorganic, or it can be a recognition of the guys who work so damn hard to develop what makes a driver go fast...and to the people who pay a ton of money to enable a driver to achieve success. I don't mind it. It's part of the character of this sport.

I find it fascinating that in a driver-centric sport which has totally lost touch with manufacturer loyalty that a driver in a grassroots race would do everything possible to avoid mentioning the engine brand because of loyalty--certainly contractually--and that the OEM reciprocates. If it didn't matter to somebody, this would not be a conversation.

I will argue--just like I do when it comes to NASCAR--that certainly nobody thinks they can buy a race car. However, I do believe that you buy a certain brand perhaps in part due to what that brand can achieve in a racing environment. Racing--whatever the form--has been an expression rather than a direct correlation of an OEM for quite some time now IMO. If there wasn't something in it for the OEM, they wouldn't be there.

It can come across as inorganic, or it can be a recognition of the guys who work so damn hard to develop what makes a driver go fast...and to the people who pay a ton of money to enable a driver to achieve success. I don't mind it. It's part of the character of this sport.

I find it fascinating that in a driver-centric sport which has totally lost touch with manufacturer loyalty that a driver in a grassroots race would do everything possible to avoid mentioning the engine brand because of loyalty--certainly contractually--and that the OEM reciprocates. If it didn't matter to somebody, this would not be a conversation.

I will argue--just like I do when it comes to NASCAR--that certainly nobody thinks they can buy a race car. However, I do believe that you buy a certain brand perhaps in part due to what that brand can achieve in a racing environment. Racing--whatever the form--has been an expression rather than a direct correlation of an OEM for quite some time now IMO. If there wasn't something in it for the OEM, they wouldn't be there.
Yeah Larson should have executed a perfect backflip from the top of the cage with a flaming TRD sign. Maybe next year.

a driver in a grassroots race would do everything possible to avoid mentioning the engine brand because of loyalty
This is nothing but pure headcanon. In Larson’s victory lane interview there was a huge TRD logo directly in the shot, among the other brands that paid for the same ad space. They took the time to toot their own horn on social media and other advertising outlets. I believe you’re alone in the butthurt aisle.

Blaney was also at the Chili Bowl but you didn't hear much about his ride. For some reason he doesn't get all the press the other NASCAR drivers get. He actually had one hot setup. Here is a rare in car photo showing off his skills... driving Chase Elliott's bus back to Dawsonville.
138295442_10224914590601986_1719131112810096458_o.jpg

Blaney was also at the Chili Bowl but you didn't hear much about his ride. For some reason he doesn't get all the press the other NASCAR drivers get. He actually had one hot setup. Here is a rare in car photo showing off his skills... driving Chase Elliott's bus back to Dawsonville.
Someone install a heater core on that bus, wtf. Lookin like Grammy Blaney with that blanket.

First in with "Even the hauler driver could win races with the cars they have......"

Kind of knocks off a little of the glam image that they have servants to drive their RVs the track etc....

Back
Top Bottom