Christmas gift budget

Bobw

Team Owner
Just curious, do you have a limit on what you'll spend on gifts? A total amount for everyone on your list or a set amount per individual?
News program just said we, whoever ''we'' is will spend a average of $970.00 on gifts this season. That hold true for you?

We have a very small family so I hope not........ The wife is in charge of that and she watches stuff pretty close... We only have 1 grandson so usually more is spent on him than anyone else...... The wife and I haven't bought each other presents in years...... don't really see a need because if we need something we go buy it...... probably the most we ever spent was maybe 600 dollars and most of it that year was a playstation or something like that for the grandson.... I think it was 3 or 4 hundred........but.... that was unusual for us......

Jennifer is my biggie. I doubt I will spend $100 on her. I have a couple friends to buy for here. Those will be small gifts.

I send my DIL money to buy things for the grandson --- things that he needs.
Then, I put money in a card and send it to him. That money he can spend on what he wants.
That's a very smart way to do it....... half or more of the presents that are bought at Christmas are stuff that are unwanted or unused.... most go in a yard sale unopened or returned on Dec. 26th....... just money wasted....... I can remember when the kids were little...... the wife was always pretty frugal about buying them stuff they needed.... at the last minute...... I'd go out and buy a whole bunch of crap that I thought they wanted like bicycles, rollerblades, basketballs, all kinds of stuff..... they'd tear through all the stuff..... then..... when the excitement was over....... all the stuff I rushed out to buy...... it was never even looked at again..... went in a yard sale that summer.....

That's a very smart way to do it....... half or more of the presents that are bought at Christmas are stuff that are unwanted or unused.... most go in a yard sale unopened or returned on Dec. 26th....... just money wasted....... I can remember when the kids were little...... the wife was always pretty frugal about buying them stuff they needed.... at the last minute...... I'd go out and buy a whole bunch of crap that I thought they wanted like bicycles, rollerblades, basketballs, all kinds of stuff..... they'd tear through all the stuff..... then..... when the excitement was over....... all the stuff I rushed out to buy...... it was never even looked at again..... went in a yard sale that summer.....

In years past, I have bought my nephews actual gifts for Christmas and Birthdays. Starting this year onward, I am going with gift cards for the reason above. No point in wasting your money on gifts that will never be used. We thankfully decided that we also wont be buying gifts for the adults anymore. The way I see it is that we all work and make money, so if we want something, we can buy it ourselves. If I ever become a parent, I will probably be the worst parent ever, according to my kid at least because all their friends will be getting way more for Christmas than they will.

Gotta be honest though, I do spoil my cat, but she at least uses what I get her.

In years past, I have bought my nephews actual gifts for Christmas and Birthdays. Starting this year onward, I am going with gift cards for the reason above. No point in wasting your money on gifts that will never be used. We thankfully decided that we also wont be buying gifts for the adults anymore. The way I see it is that we all work and make money, so if we want something, we can buy it ourselves. If I ever become a parent, I will probably be the worst parent ever, according to my kid at least because all their friends will be getting way more for Christmas than they will.

Gotta be honest though, I do spoil my cat, but she at least uses what I get her.
Excellent post......... and a very smart decision....... been there and got the trophy...... ;)

Just curious, do you have a limit on what you'll spend on gifts? A total amount for everyone on your list or a set amount per individual?
News program just said we, whoever ''we'' is will spend a average of $970.00 on gifts this season. That hold true for you?
Ummm no, my total budget on gifts will be about $400.

Like so many others as our kids grew our gift giving habits slowed. We gave them stuff they needed.
Wife and I exchange cards and small gifts. We've all agreed that this Christmas is for the boys.
They're 3 and a half and by next year someone will spill the beans that there's no Santa . I/we intend to make this their best Christmas ever, they may not remember it but there will be tons of photos.
That $970 spending number? I've only bought for the boys and already passed that. :)

$7,800 for one item is on dad's wish list right now. LOL.

xr14.jpg

I've got a budget of $200 for gifts for other people. About $700-$800 for my mom and myself

Our gift budget shrunk - not due to the economy but more due to nieces and nephews growing up (and no grand nieces or nephews yet). Once youngsters leave home we generally just exchange small gifts or just visit. We've already got too much stuff, lol. Used to budget about $100 per youngster (would have to about double that in 2017 dollars).

When youngsters get into high school we switch from giving stuff to just giving money (unless one asks for something specific). They like spending it themselves and it's hard to keep up with what they like. When they get jobs and move out of home we chip in to help get them started (rent deposit or furniture etc.) but for holidays it becomes more about getting together than gifting stuff.

What I do instead of buying for Christmas is to get things for people throughout the year and it seems to work well.

Back
Top Bottom