Chrome Rims?

R

redrock

Why don't teams use the chrome racing rims any more? Years ago it seemed like every team used them. I always thought they looked better than black, red, blue painted rims. Is it a cost issue? weight issue? I heard once that chrome is harder to clean due to the brake dust.

I liked that look too Redrock, I would like to see more of them.

i have heard somewere that the wheel weights come off to easy when using chrome wheels, i could be wrong but i think that is why.

Chrome rims are against the rules. I have read it is because the chrome can hide cracks in the rims. I would assume the problem has occured previously for NASCAR to ban them. I guess paint on a rim will still show cracks or minor damage allowing a team not to use it.

At least they can paint them. The only team that I know of that uses the painted rims are the Evernham teams. I like the look of the painted rims.

See that, I knew it was for a good reason; thanks guys - what a knowledgable group around here! What about chrome spray paint?

I wish they still ran chrome to they were very sharp lookin

Hydrogen Embrittelment (sp), the wheels are electrified during the chrome dipping processes. They get dipped in about 5 different tanks during the process. The electrification causes the hydrogen atoms to move around and some simply dissapate into the vats. This makes the rim brittle, not as likly to bend on impact, they shatter instead. The most concern they have is the circle of wheel studs breaking out of the wheel at speed.

Regular cars get away with it because they never encounter the sideloading race cars do.

The only reason I know such a detailed answer is because this was explained to me by Bobby Hamilitons crew chief here in Nashvill when Bobby drove the LIGHTING AND FANS CAR AT THE FAIRGROUNDS. capslock, sorry.

I built and tuned the carbs then and was rear tire changer on race night but was unable to travel with the team due to real job considerations.

Originally posted by bowtie+Aug 7 2003, 02:26 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bowtie @ Aug 7 2003, 02:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--redrock@Aug 7 2003, 11:17 AM
What about chrome spray paint?
you're pushing your luck now. :D [/b][/quote]
We call that Japanese chrome

Back
Top Bottom