Clippers owner Donald Sterling is in deep trouble again

Benevolent One

Team Owner
It's been pretty well know for a really long time that Los Angeles Clippers owner is a serious bigot. He has been in legal trouble several times over the years and the NBA has just kind of tried to figure out how to just skate through it. The team has had trouble getting many free agent, coaches and front office people to go there because of him and his views. However, there is now a audio tape of his allegedly talking to his girlfriend, V. Stiviano, who is black and mexican (as if that doesn't make this story even stranger) and making some really racist statements about not wanting her to post pictures of herself with black men or to bring them to his team's games. This was allegedly in response to her posting a picture of herself and Magic Johnson on Instagram. The picture was since deleted.

"It bothers me a lot that you want to broadcast that you're associating with black people. Do you have to?" the man believed to be Sterling says. He continues, "You can sleep with [black people]. You can bring them in, you can do whatever you want. The little I ask you is not to promote it on that ... and not to bring them to my games."

Last month, CBS reported that Rochelle Sterling, Sterling's wife, filed a lawsuit against Stiviano, alleging she had a sexual affair with her husband.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...ly-los-angeles-clippers-owner-donald-sterling

LOL so he's ok being cheated on but he doesn't want her to take pictures with black men? That guy has some serious issues.

wtf.gif
Unreal.

He has such a big problem with black people, but he owns a team in a sport where over 90% of the players are black? What a moron....

Just some TMZ bull**** if you ask me. Is he a dick? Yep, but I really don't care about him or his team. It isn't like his teams are oppressing his players any.

A lot of different issues here.
1. Racist old man.
2. Gold digger whore with racist old man.
3. Illegal audio recording
(...California's wiretapping law is a "two-party consent" law. California makes it a crime to record or eavesdrop on any confidential communication, including a private conversation or telephone call, without the consent of all parties to the conversation. See Cal. Penal Code § 632. The statute applies to "confidential communications" -- i.e., conversations in which one of the parties has an objectively reasonable expectation that no one is listening in or overhearing the conversation. See Flanagan v. Flanagan, 41 P.3d 575, 576-77, 578-82 (Cal. 2002). A California appellate court has ruled that this statute applies to the use of hidden video cameras to record conversations as well. See California v. Gibbons, 215 Cal. App. 3d 1204 (Cal Ct. App. 1989)...)

A lot of different issues here.
1. Racist old man.
2. Gold digger whore with racist old man.
3. Illegal audio recording
(...California's wiretapping law is a "two-party consent" law. California makes it a crime to record or eavesdrop on any confidential communication, including a private conversation or telephone call, without the consent of all parties to the conversation. See Cal. Penal Code § 632. The statute applies to "confidential communications" -- i.e., conversations in which one of the parties has an objectively reasonable expectation that no one is listening in or overhearing the conversation. See Flanagan v. Flanagan, 41 P.3d 575, 576-77, 578-82 (Cal. 2002). A California appellate court has ruled that this statute applies to the use of hidden video cameras to record conversations as well. See California v. Gibbons, 215 Cal. App. 3d 1204 (Cal Ct. App. 1989)...)

Who cares about the illegal aspect of this? He's not facing jail time for being a jerkoff racist.

This is not news anyway. This guy is known for being a bigot so the fact this came to light is no surprise. Still, hearing him spew all that garbage is shocking.

You're right about her though. She knows he's a racist btu yet she's playing it cool and saying she's sorry because she knows she'll be covered as long as she's with him so she puts up with the racist remarks and even insult to her own self.

just dem race card bein played here. sharpton...jackson...naacp...etc
this crap was lead story on nbc's meet the press show today. no wonder they are #3 now.
even potus chimed in.

just dem race card bein played here. sharpton...jackson...naacp...etc
this crap was lead story on nbc's meet the press show today. no wonder they are #3 now.
even potus chimed in.
I agree it's really disturbing that Jackson and Sharpton get a free pass every time the their racist sides come out.
I will say the Donald is an idiot for saying what he did, and will probably have to get out of the NBA now. Some people just don't know when to STFU

And yes the POTUS has to chime in..something was said about blacks;)
You didn't see him chime in during the knock out games:eek:

I agree it's really disturbing that Jackson and Sharpton get a free pass every time the their racist sides come out.
I will say the Donald is an idiot for saying what he did, and will probably have to get out of the NBA now. Some people just don't know when to STFU

Which half of the POTUS chimed in?

To be fair, his "chiming in" was to a question asked in a news conference. He apparently wasn't asked about the knock-out game.

Sterling is in deep doo-doo. Many corporations and sponsors are disassociating themselves with The Clippers.

Yep, this will be the inflection point where we see if he has business sense or if his ego trumps it. While he owns this team, it will never be worth more than it is right now. If he doesn't sell, he will hemorrhage talent and fans.

fact .....sterling is actually donald tokowitz ......jewish !
funny how that's been ignored in tv news shows. ha!

ie--it was his jewish buddies complainin bout seein black guys w/ his puta.

racist jews ? not on tv ! ha!

Banned for life from NBA. If anybody feels bad for him remember, he's got more money than you will ever see in your life - all by coaching sweaty old men how to throw a ball into a basket.

I feel terrible for him. He bought the team for $13 million. Lets see, when he's forced to sell after they get 3/4 of owners votes, it will sell for $1 BILLION+. He's getting hosed.

I also have to laugh at the 'lifetime' ban. He's 80 freakin years old.

I'd say eff you on paying the $2.5 million in fines too. By the time all the lawsuits and appeals were over, he'll be dead probably.

Proud of the new commish for doing the right thing. Stern would have kept this guy in.

Good riddance

While I do not disagree with the NBA's ruling, I do not see how you can legally block someone from their livelihood.
Racism has no place in this "modern" society and I'm not sure that you could hurt Sterling financially, but I do not think that this is over.

bl. grievance biz 24/7 since last friday.....w/ media push.....= nba ruling today.
yet not 1 law have they claimed sterling violated ?
law by public opinion......?

bl. grievance biz 24/7 since last friday.....w/ media push.....= nba ruling today.

It wasn't the media push that caused this, unless you think TMZ shouldn't have released the info. This thing was going to blow up on the NBA after TMZ released it whether the rest of the media covered it or not.

Additionally, there's nothing wrong with a business making business decisions within the confines of its authority. Laws don't have to be broken for those decisions to be made. It's done and if Sterling is smart, he'll sell without creating a big fight, because all that will do is diminish the team's value.

The biggest thing he did in the minds of the other owners is hurt their image in the eyes of the public and even more importantly in the eyes of advertisers. When sponsors started dumping the Clippers in the wake of his comments coming out he was dead to them. Those 29 other owners didn't get to be billionaires (most of them) by letting things exist that cost them money. His money gives him power and authority in most situations, but he's just one of 30 guys with his type of money and power in that room and he's bringing a water gun to a firefight.

The NBA is a private business. No laws have to be broken.

if sterling refuses to sell ........nba will have to sue.

then we'll see if law matters.

What Donald Sterling said was unethical. This type of thought has no place in a modern, civilized society. He certainly deserves some form of reprimand. I certainly do not agree with anything that Donald Sterling was heard saying in the recording.
The part that I have trouble with is that,
1. Nothing he said was illegal and he did not break any laws.
2. The recording was illegal and done without his knowledge or consent.
3. The illegal recording is being used against him and nobody seems to care that the recording violates California penal code law 632.
4. Although Sterling made some very egregious comments in the recording, an American citizen is being punished for something he said. Not for breaking any laws, but for exercising his right to freedom of speech.

Oprah Winfrey is now reportedly interested in buying the Clippers. The name will be changed to the Los Angeles Winfreys, the logo will be changed to a picture of Oprah, and all games will be televised exclusively on OWN. ;)

I don't think anything will come of this. Oprah is one of the most narcissistic people on the face of the planet, I'm sure she's just putting this out there for attention.

Oprah Winfrey is now reportedly interested in buying the Clippers. The name will be changed to the Los Angeles Winfreys, the logo will be changed to a picture of Oprah, and all games will be televised exclusively on OWN. ;)

I don't think anything will come of this. Oprah is one of the most narcissistic people on the face of the planet, I'm sure she's just putting this out there for attention.
I hope nothing comes of it.
She's been proven to be a mild racist person too.

What Donald Sterling said was unethical. This type of thought has no place in a modern, civilized society. He certainly deserves some form of reprimand. I certainly do not agree with anything that Donald Sterling was heard saying in the recording.
The part that I have trouble with is that,
1. Nothing he said was illegal and he did not break any laws.
2. The recording was illegal and done without his knowledge or consent.
3. The illegal recording is being used against him and nobody seems to care that the recording violates California penal code law 632.
4. Although Sterling made some very egregious comments in the recording, an American citizen is being punished for something he said. Not for breaking any laws, but for exercising his right to freedom of speech.

He's being punished by a private business. I have no issues with this. If the government was punishing him for what he said, it's different.

He's being punished by a private business. I have no issues with this. If the government was punishing him for what he said, it's different.
I don't care who he's being punished by. He's being punished for his speech. What's next; punishing someone for what they are thinking???

I don't care who he's being punished by. He's being punished for his speech. What's next; punishing someone for what they are thinking???

People are punished for their speech all the time. Don't give me the "private conversation" crap. Everybody with half a brain knows there's no privacy anymore. If you walk outside, you're being recorded on YouTube. If you're on the phone, you could easily be recorded by someone on the other end and it's a well known established fact that the government is listening in on our phone calls as well. Employers all across the country spy on their employees - even on their private lives.

Free market solutions at play here. Sterling's remarks are public now whether they were intended to be or not.

Back
Top Bottom