Clock Radio

Zerkfitting

Team Owner
My 40 year old JC Penny clock radio is dying, the radio died but the clock and alarm still work (the alarm is too loud). I don't think I've owned many things that long - it is like an old friend. So I've been looking for a replacement. It turns out the 40 year old features don't seem to be available on clock radios any more. I can set mine to go off any day of the week. I'm discovering that my clock radio has been replaced with smart phones; I prefer a dedicated device (I doubt a phone will last 40 years and you can't see the time without waking it up).

I found a couple clock radios that work like mine but they are no longer manufactured (they are available used on Ebay for $140). I've been using my tablet for my alarm for now (nice alarm tone) but it needs more attention than my clock radio; ironically, I have to wake up the tablet to turn off the alarm and see the clock. The old JC Penny clock continues to do its job.

I talked to someone at work who is my age about it and she showed me her smart watch and suggested I'm stuck in 1911.

My 40 year old JC Penny clock radio is dying, the radio died but the clock and alarm still work (the alarm is too loud). I don't think I've owned many things that long - it is like an old friend. So I've been looking for a replacement. It turns out the 40 year old features don't seem to be available on clock radios any more. I can set mine to go off any day of the week. I'm discovering that my clock radio has been replaced with smart phones; I prefer a dedicated device (I doubt a phone will last 40 years and you can't see the time without waking it up).

I found a couple clock radios that work like mine but they are no longer manufactured (they are available used on Ebay for $140). I've been using my tablet for my alarm for now (nice alarm tone) but it needs more attention than my clock radio; ironically, I have to wake up the tablet to turn off the alarm and see the clock. The old JC Penny clock continues to do its job.

I talked to someone at work who is my age about it and she showed me her smart watch and suggested I'm stuck in 1911.
I get told that frequently. :D

I get told that frequently. :D
Me too. I don't wear a watch much less a smart watch. I have an old cheap dual wake alarm across the room. I'm not sure if there is such thing as a daily programmable alarm anymore. Phones, Google Home, and Alexa have replaced things as we used to know them.

Me too. I don't wear a watch much less a smart watch. I have an old cheap dual wake alarm across the room. I'm not sure if there is such thing as a daily programmable alarm anymore. Phones, Google Home, and Alexa have replaced things as we used to know them.
I still have my 1960s double bell Big Ben that'll wake the dead. I don't use it anymore unless I have to and the wife has an Emerson clock radio.

Check this out. From $20/$30 and up.

http://www.emersonradio.com/store/electronics/clock-radios/

I use my android alarm, the most reliable one I have ever used bar none.
I set three alarms on it daily, and don't have to worry, at least one of them got the A.M. entry. I have never have to worry about a power loss, either.

I even use it at work to keep on timed events or deadlines.

I have trained people at work and honestly put the android stop watch on them. It was a rare thing, but some sluggards needed the kick.

I am impressed you even need an alarm to wake up ! My brain automatically
wakes up and starts the days calculations at 4 - 5 a.m. Have not used an
alarm for almost 3 decades except for the rare 3 a.m. airport redeye runs for kids.

Years ago we had a clock radio that had a 9 volt battery back up. I usually, like you, woke up before the alarm went off. No alarm clocks now but I still wake up around 5 am.

Back
Top Bottom