College conferences expanding

buckaroo

Here kitty, kitty, kitty
So what are your thoughts on what is going on with the various conferences talking about expanding? The Big 12 have given Nebraska and Missouri until this weekend to say whether or not they are going to head to the Big10. On the other hand, the Pac 10 have been rumored to be thinking of asking six of the Big 12 schools to join making it a 16 team conference. Those six are said to be Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado. Those six would be in an eastern division along with Arizona and Arizona State, leaving the other eight teams in the second division. Texas is said to be the key in all of this. And how about the SEC expanding with Florida State, Miami, Clemson and Georgia Tech from the ACC? Then what would the ACC do? One thing for sure, IF any of those teams mentioned move to another conference, it's sure to be the beginning of a domino affect. Money sure does weird things to those who crave it.

As a fan of Oklahoma, it wouldn't bother me if those six Big12 teams moved to the Pac 10. I don't think that OU and UT would be threatened much with either AZ team.

I hope the SEC stays as is...no need for any other teams. When all this talk first started, Texas was rumored to be coming over.

I really don't have and cares one way or they other as far as the other conferences, I just wish the NCAA would make Notre Dame join a conference.

I wouldn't mind seeing some decent teams join the Pac 10 just to shut USC up. But with Lane Kiffen there now and the sanctions the NCAA are suppose to hand down, they might be quiet soon enough.

Seems that every conference wants Texas and rightly so. They make tons of money. The Big10 really wants UT. BTW, I think the NCAA already has too much power and it wouldn't surprise me that one day the huge conferences abandon the NCAA and start their own association. One of the biggest complaints in college football is the BCS. Of course the NCAA doesn't have anything to do with the BCS, but in a way they do.

I agree....they are trying to fix things that aren't broken. The biggest thing they need to work on is figuring out how a fair way for someone to be crowned national champion. Too many teams gets screwed at the end of the year.....

Its seems its getting "too big", sort of like how NASCAR has gotten the past couple of years. I just hope they don't ruin it like NASCAR has...

I really don't have and cares one way or they other as far as the other conferences, I just wish the NCAA would make Notre Dame join a conference.

I don't think that the NCAA will have to make Notre Dame join a conference. If the BCS turns into four mega conference, you could almost bet it would be easier to create a four team playoff. That would leave ND out in the cold. :cool:

What's gonna suck is if schools like Kansas, Kansas St, Baylor, and Iowa St. could be left out in the cold, forced to join the Mountain West, Conference USA, ect. That's gonna suck :(

But isn't Notre Dame guaranteed a BCS bowl if the win a certain amount of games?

I agree about some of the teams you mentioned. Another reason to leave everything alone.

I think ND is given a BCS bowl game if they won 10 games. They haven't been to a BCS bowl game since 2005.

It seems like there is too much money to be made by realigning these teams and conferences for it not to happen. I kind of like tradition myself, but tradition almost always comes in a distant second to additional profit.

It seems like there is too much money to be made by realigning these teams and conferences for it not to happen. I kind of like tradition myself, but tradition almost always comes in a distant second to additional profit.
Yeah, I remember way back when it was the Big 8, Big 10, Pac 8, SWC, etc. Seems as though money is making the decisions here as well as other places.

Well, it's now official that a second Big 12 team has bolted. Nebraska has been accepted into the Big 10 which will now have 12 teams. Now it depends on what will happen with the remaining members of the Big 12. It's been said that Texas holds all the cards and that Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State will go wherever UT goes, but TT says they are not connected to what UT does. Other rumors have it that the SEC is very interested in both A&M and Oklahoma. In my opinion, though I don't believe those "other schools" want to be "controlled" by Texas, it would make better sense if they did in fact go the way of UT unless UT decides to join the Big 10. But I just don't see that happening. I also don't see the Big 12 as a continuing conference, but stranger things have happened. As it stands now, the Big 12 now only has 10 schools which would make it the Big 10, but now the Big 10 has 12 schools, which would make them the Big 12. :cuckoo: I'm now so mixed up that I believe that Dale Jr. can win not only in Michigan, but the championship as well. :cuckoo: :cuckoo: :cuckoo:

Okay, I think my head is clear, but not all that sure. Now it seems that Boise State has joined the Mountain West Conference. Now that to me is a good choice and I'm sure the other members of the MWC are now shaking in their boots. Just think, they will now have to play on that blue plastic surface. Oh no, I'm going nuts again.....

this is all just plain nonsense chasing a buck. If they had to change and someone was actually in charge they should have just made 4 large conferences based on the time zone schools were located in. KISS (keep it simple stupid).

A lot of rumors ran today and yet noting new has taken place. First it was reported that Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State was a lock to joing the Pac 10. The a blod from Austin said that Texas wasn't going anywhere and that Big 12 commissioner Don Bebee has already brokered a TV deal for the remaining teams and also that would allow UT to have their own network, something that was said they couldn't have in the Pac 10. It still looks as though Texas A&M are wanting to joing the SEC, giving them 13 teams. If that comes about, the SEC will need at least one more team but would probably prefer to have three more teams for a mega conference with 16 teams.

But now the Big 10 has 12 teams so that should now be the Big 12. Now that the Big 12 has lost two schools and if they stay together they should be the Big 10. I guess they could get rid of two more schools and they could have the old Big 8 again.

And we haven't even really gotten into the ACC and what might happen there.

i was really glad that bebee worked out a tv deal that texas liked. hope a&m stays where they are also. going to take a while for me to get use to nebraska being in the big 10.

Looks like the Big 12 is going to stay with the 10 remaining schools. However, with only 10 schools in the conference, they can no longer have a championship game so I wonder if they will see if they can find a couple more schools to join in. But word today seems to say they want to just stick with what they have now. Now what will the Pac Ten do to get that 12th member? Utah?

Back
Top Bottom