College final rankings.

buckaroo

Here kitty, kitty, kitty
The final AP poll has as expected, Bama #1 and Texas #2 with Florida #3. My question, was UT really better than Florida or were they given the ranking because they made it to the BCS title game? Boise State was #4 with the rest of the top ten pretty much what was expected. What got my attention was the fan poll on ESPN. I know everyone has been crying for a playoff system, but who's going to pick the teams for the playoffs? Part of the system that picks the BCS rankings are the college coaches. On the surface, one would say that who would be better to decide the best teams than the coaches themselves? The truth is, those coaches that vote very seldom even see any games of any team other than those teams their own teams play. But fans from all over the country watch not only their favorite teams, but many others as well and should have a better view of the overall makeup of college football. Everyone seems to want a playoff system, but who will be the voice of who will be included in the playoffs? Yeah, we know who, but it will undoubtedly cause a problem because someone will be left out because of a vote. It seems right now that most people agree that four teams would make up the playoffs. If they picked the top four after the regular season, that would leave a team without a loss left out and one with one loss in. But for that matter, that one team with a loss was voted #1 in the fan voting. If they ever do come up with a playoff system, there will always be some team that will feel slighted and with good reason. Here's the final fan vote from ESPN.

1 Florida
2 Texas
3 USC
4 Oklahoma
5 Alabama
6 Ohio State
7 Penn State
8 Oklahoma State
9 Mississippi
10 LSU
11 Virginia Tech
12 California
13 Boise State
14 Georgia
15 Oregon
16 Georgia Tech
17 Utah
18 Brigham Young
19 Nebraska
20 TCU
21 Notre Dame
22 Florida State
23 Iowa
24 Texas Tech
25 Kansas

Now while I like what I see there with OU ranked ahead of Bama, there is no way OU would be ranked ahead of Alabama UNLESS there was a playoff. But you say, OU wouldn't even make the playoffs. Maybe, maybe not, all depending on how many teams would make up the playoffs.

Okay, yes I agree that OU wouldn't make a playoff for many reasons, but the main one would be because they didn't deserve it, but again, the teams that would make the playoffs would be up to a vote and could that include two teams from the same conference making a four team playoff? :)

don't forget all the bowl games that are raking in the money as it is. the fans may want a *true* champion for the season but the bowl cities would want that only if it went to their bowl. <g> is the current bcs better than tho old rose/orange/cotton/sugar bowl's of the past? depends on who you ask, but i'd wager there's a ton more money being made under the bcs. besides, what's a college football season without all the discussion about who's truly the #1 team in the nation? <g>

Back
Top Bottom