Common templates

D

DE Wrangler 2

There are a couple threads going now that relate to manufacturers and common templates among the different makes. From what I've read it seems some think that one make has an unfair advantage and lobby NASCAR to maintain that advantage. I, personally, don't think that's true. But, I will admit that NASCAR makes concessions to try to maintain parity among the different teams that are running makes that are somewhat behind the aero curve. I disagree with that 100%.:( However, that's the way it is and I'm not going to whine about it........well, not until it gets so far along that the cars begin looking like IROC cars anyway.:D

My question is: If the different manufacturers have made this discision to come up with a "common template" would it be okay? And if they have made this discision among themselves would the Ford, Chevy, Pontaic, and Dodge points race have any meaning at all?

I say yes on the first and no on the second.:)

I agree with you on both accounts. This is just another road that NASCAR is taking on it's way to ruin. Yeah, I'm whinning here, but hell, I've been whinning about this for some time now and I hate it. However, like a great friend of mine once told me, it I didn't like what I saw, why did I continue to watch it? You got me! :) Must be the only show in town.

Wrangler,

I think all the aero fiddling around that NASCAR has perpetuated over the years in the name of parity is wrong too. I really think the tem0plate should be based on production sheet metal, and is changed only when a manufacturer changes their production sheet metal. But it ain't gonna happen in my life time.

So, I agree with the common template if it will get rid of all the mid year body changes. The problem is, as I understand it, this quandry NASCAR finds itself in will be even more insidious. The reason being, the "standard template" isn't standard at all. But "EVERYONE" thinks it is. So, here we go again.

...oh, the second question...I think the manufacturers title will mean less but will not be meaningless...so laong as the different manufacturers have their own engines.

I would prefer a stock template, but that will not happen anytime soon. NASCAR is getting to be a little like Indy racing. Not stock at all and that is harmful to the sport. I'm starting to dig sports car racing because it is a truer form of stock car racing. At least their cars are based on something you can buy at the dealership.

And you think Na$ca$h isn't still going to make changes during the season?

Kat, you're right, they will make changes and probably many as the year goes on. NASCAR has to please many different people, least of whom are the manufacturers. They put mucho money into this sport and want something in return. While it might be just a nameplate on a car, it'd better be able to run up front.

With these common templates, I think it will be a little easier for other manufactures to come into the sport.

Originally posted by buckaroo
While it might be just a nameplate on a car, it'd better be able to run up front.

The thing is, in a race you've got winners and you've got losers. That's fine. It's when you make winners out of losers and losers out of winners that it's not. The role many of the sanctioning bodies have played for many years follows too close to the second paradigm...sad to say, the FIA has considered similar "political correctness" for F1.

Originally posted by Windsor377
Kat, you missed my point.

No, Windsor, I did get your point!

Chevy and maybe other manufacturers are putting a LOT of $$ into crash testing and safety for Nascar. I agree that the Mfgr points will mean less, but what the HE!! is a "standard template" anyway?
What is 1/8th inch after the race, spring infraction found after the race, jack bolts, and on and on.
Proper pre-race inspection should weed out problems if done thoroughly and properly.

And I'm not "EVERYONE", altho I know you have a lot more technical knowledge than I do.

I wish the cars would be the exact body template that's on the showroom floor for the average customer. No fiddling or diddling with body. No valence down to the ground in the front. Just a 4 inch spoiler on the rear that teams can adjust how they wish.

All the standard safety equipment under the skin. But the skin must meet the template of the man on the street's car.

Then we'll see who can run with the big dogs.

Originally posted by kat2220
No, Windsor, I did get your point!  

Oh, my! I'm sorry Kat! Another thing to consider is that each manufacturer has separate and distinct nose and rear facia templates with this "comon template" bill of goods...I'm sorry, but I just have to say that NASCAR is opening an even more trecherous pandoras box here...

...hey Kat, you're getting pretty technical yourself there...

Windsor, of course you are right that this isn't a good thing, but for who...the fans not the santioning body or the manufacturers. Yes, there will be winners and loser, but what they want are equal wins by all makes. Doesn't matter if those wins are from the same team, only that one make is as good as the others. In the make believe world of us fans, it would be race what you brung and you better choose it right. It would take at least a year if not longer for one manufacturer to correct a mistake they made and the sponsors wouldn't put up with that. Let's say that Toyota comes in with such a car (we're talking race what you brung here) that they win 75% of the races that year. Do you think that Goodwrench or Motorcraft would keep putting money into their teams just to see them coming up short race after race? Not a chance when the money is in the millions. NASCAR has to walk a mighty thin line when it comes to rules. Every team/owner and fan wants to have the edge and the only way to keep everyone halfway satisfied is to go to a common template. It sucks, but that's where they chose to go and there ain't no heading back.

Windsor, PURRRRRR. But you still know a heck lot more technical knowledge than I do!

Buckster, agreed! BUT there is still NA$CA$H!

Originally posted by buckaroo
Every team/owner and fan wants to have the edge and the only way to keep everyone halfway satisfied is to go to a common template.  

Agreed Buckaroo, but common template needs to be just that. Not the bill of goods currently in the offering.

Originally posted by kat2220
Windsor, PURRRRRR. But you still know a heck lot more technical knowledge than I do!

Buckster, agreed! BUT there is still NA$CA$H!

Thanks Kat!

Originally posted by TexasRaceLady
I wish the cars would be the exact body template that's on the showroom floor for the average customer.   No fiddling or diddling with body.   No valence down to the ground in the front.  Just a 4 inch spoiler on the rear that teams can adjust how they wish.  

All the standard safety equipment under the skin.  But the skin must meet the template of the man on the street's car.

Then we'll see who can run with the big dogs.

Yeah Buddy!...unfortunately we all know it wont happen...

There are places where that's the kind of cars racing...it's called Weekly Racing Series by Dodge. Usually, they are the lowest class of cars running. But at that stage, one make or model doesn't have an edge over the other. All of which reminds me that I can't wait for our local tracks to open again. vvrrrrroooooooooomm vvrrrrrroooooooooom! I'm ready already. :)

Oh Yeah!!!!, but my days with the 'bird are about done...I'm, focusing on the Mustang this year:

http://members.aol.com:/windsor377/myhomep...ang_Leaving.jpg

http://members.aol.com:/windsor377/myhomep...ratkiller_1.jpg

...and I've recently sold the heads, intake and nitrous to a fella running Real Street, loook for a blue 80s Mustang notchback from Monrovia Maryland setting the National Real Street record this year.

I'm switching from the Yates C3H heads pictured to a set of Yates SC-1s and a Hogan tunnel ram...along with a new 2 stage nitrous system.

...gotta have some patience...it'll be the middle of next season before I'm finished switching things over....:(

Ever see a fuel car "shock" the sound waves traveling through the air?

err, that didn't come out quite right...rather ever see the sound waves of a fuel car disrupt the vision of the car as it goes past?

Yep, I used to hit the strip about three or four times a year when I live up in Iowa. The local strip there featured the Chi Town Hustler.

I remember that car. Malcom Durahms shop used to be a couple miles down the road from my parents house.

....OH!!!...and as a Mopar fan, you should be familiar with Chick Denino! He was Ronnie Sox chassis builder, for the longest time. He live around here, as does Sam Auxier(sp?). Chick's son Kurt still does fabricating around here.

The Chi-Town Hustler was a car owned by Austin Coil out of Chicago. The drivers at that time were Pat Minnick and Frank Hawley. The Hustler doesn't run anymore I don't think, but it's most remembered for being the father of "burnouts" back in the early 80's.

Back
Top Bottom