Comparing rookie crops

buckaroo

Here kitty, kitty, kitty
When you look back through the years (recent, since 1990 anyway) notice how the crop of rookies have done. Of course, there are those rookies who come up, take a shot and hit the road again, but those guys who have been able to stick around in the top three divisions of NASCAR. When Gordon stepped up, he came in with Bobby Labonte and Kenny Wallace. Between the three of them, there are five championships and well over 60 victories. Most of course by Gordon and none by Wallace. Then you had Kenseth and Earnhardt. Both have won more races than many of the old veterans and will no doubt have a title or two amoungst themselves. This last year we had Newman and Johnson and we all know how they did. Other crops haven't been so good and others have fared so so. Will this year's crop be a bang or a bust? McMurray is still a rookie and has already won a race and Biffle seems to be a driver who will win, or at least contend. It'll be fun to watch this new crop and see how they fare compared to the crop that has gone before them. What y'all think about this year's new guys as well as rookies in the past?

This group is probably at least as good as last year's. I don't know why so much emphasis is put on the rookies........they are fun to watch, but most don't go far. I say examine them 4 or 5 years in then you get an idea of just how good they are. One good year does not make a great (or even a good) driver. I think Biffle will probably do good........have doubts about McMurray, and Fitipauldi. We'll see this season if they excell...........but in 5 yrs we will see if they are good.

I don't see them having as much of an impact as last years crop. I definitely don't see either one of them leading the points as late in the year as Jimmie Johnson did.

DEW, that's all I was asking. You more or less emphasized my point. But it seems that when there is a good crop, it's more than one at a time. When it's a bad crop, they're all duds.

Biffle is the only one out there that I really need to keep an eye on. Those two Ganassi rookies aren't going to do as well as whats expected. Both will probably be out of a ride in a few years or less.

Originally posted by 66mustang
Biffle is the only one out there that I really need to keep an eye on.  Those two Ganassi rookies aren't going to do as well as whats expected.  Both will probably be out of a ride in a few years or less.

There's no way in the world that you know that. When Gordon, Labonte and Wallace all came up, I remember people saying the only one that would be successful would be Wallace. He didn't and hasn't won a race. Roush does have an eye for talent, but he's picked some losers in the past as well. If I had asked you last year at this time, I seriously doubt that you would have told me that Jimmy Johnson would have contended for the title, let alone finish in the top ten. Probably wouldn't have said that about Newman either.

Well both came into great rides and i think that had all the world to do with it, plus both had great resumes. Casey Attwood case in point, had great ride, but wasn't allowed to produce. Everham kind of knows he made a mistake there, proven by
the fact that Mayfield has done nothing in the 19. Attwood was competing quite well in that ride toward the end, so i think the equipment has a major say in it. If you come into a major ride, quality competitive ride, there is less to worry about for that rookie.

Originally posted by Mopardh9
Well both came into great rides and i think that had all the world to do with it, plus both had great resumes. Casey Attwood case in point, had great ride, but wasn't allowed to produce. Everham kind of knows he made a mistake there, proven by
the fact that Mayfield has done nothing in the 19. Attwood was competing quite well in that ride toward the end, so i think the equipment has a major say in it. If you come into a major ride, quality competitive ride, there is less to worry about for that rookie.
I agree whole-heartedly. By the way...Welcome Morardh9. You are doing a pretty good job of nudging your bumper into conversations between us long-time board members. You aren't too bad for a Dodge fan.:rolleyes:

Thanks..love this place! I can go on for hours as you probably can see, i love to talk racing not just Nascar. It is in my Blood....lol.

Originally posted by Mopardh9
Thanks..love this place! I can go on for hours as you probably can see, i love to talk racing not just Nascar. It is in my Blood....lol.
You will realize soon enough several people in here have sore subjects (myself included). Don't take anything personally and don't attack other posters and you should have a great time in here.:)

And I don't totally hate Dodge. I am a Kyle Petty fan as I was also a HUGE fan of King Richard Petty!

Well i have been a Ford fan since Bill came into WC, i switched when he went to Dodge and even bought a Ram 1500 4x4.....lol.

DH, you have a point about getting into good equipment. I'm not so sure the comparison of Atwood and Mayfield is a good one. In my view, they both have about the same talent. If Casey is good enough, he will make it in WC, but he just wasn't ready. Maybe, just maybe, Jeremy Mayfield isn't as good as people have thought. And don't put all that on Evernhams shoulders. Look at all the owners and you will see they have picked some real doozies over the years. All those years RCR had Skinner in the 31 car, he never won. Put a Gordon in it and he gets a win. Anyway, I always thought that Atwood should have been able to do better, but he didn't. Don't tell me he didn't have the support from Evernham either. I truely believe that Ray thought Casey was the future of his team. Now, who knows, and it still could be Mayfield, but I'd be surprised.

Yeh i just think that something was happening behind the scenes that season when Attwood was there. I think Bill got all the attention from Ray. To put Bill back in victory lane in that season was huge, i think Bill would of retired had he not seen victory again.

Originally posted by buckaroo
There's no way in the world that you know that

I was just giving my opinion on what I think will happen next year.

Watch out for Casey Mears... I see something happenin' for him this year.. Ya never know anymore with these rookies..

Predicting the rookies is tougher now than it used to be for sure.Personally,and I might be wrong here-but I think the ROTY is a foregone conclusion.Nothing against Jamie,but this fluke of mediocre BGN drivers turning into superstars in Cup seems to be a Hendricks-only thing.

Biffle,on the other hand,was a superstar BGN driver and has pretty much dominated in any series he has ever driven in.I really don't see any other newbie that can give him much of a challenge.JMO but I guess time will tell.

And I believe Biffle's performance alone this year will make for a great rookie crop....particularly if Jamie can surprize me and have some great runs.

Back
Top Bottom