Congrats Daniel Suarez

NASCARs first foreign born champion. I was going for Sadler but Suarez wasnt being beat. Good for him!
It was great, we liked the race, although.we were on edge on the restarts..

24c1c7a24022806eb896e181a2f8d6c4.jpg
327dcf9e367bdc3248900a744c91d2be.jpg

We saw him on pit road, talking with Ty Dillon and Max Papis (partially hidden), on the way to driver intros...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

94dd27c15c8531ba30aaa3f74ee79a6b.jpg

Coach, Daniel and Helton at the celebration...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I was so happy it was Suarez and not Jones. Don't get me wrong I think Jones is a great driver, but I think Suarez is equally as good or if not better. I just didn't want to see talent get pissed away because Jones was the anointed next big thing. Too many times I have see great drivers take a back seat to "the next big thing". It was great to see the underdog win it. Yes I do consider Suarez a sort of underdog. Dude has had much more adversity to deal with than his teammate. Hopefully this Championship makes Coach or another owner take better notice.

I was so happy it was Suarez and not Jones. Don't get me wrong I think Jones is a great driver, but I think Suarez is equally as good or if not better. I just didn't want to see talent get pissed away because Jones was the anointed next big thing. Too many times I have see great drivers take a back seat to "the next big thing". It was great to see the underdog win it. Yes I do consider Suarez a sort of underdog. Dude has had much more adversity to deal with than his teammate. Hopefully this Championship makes Coach or another owner take better notice.

Daniel's pace raised my eyebrow for sure. I think he will take the FRR #2 after Erik moves to JGR. 2018 IMO.

Daniel's pace raised my eyebrow for sure. I think he will take the FRR #2 after Erik moves to JGR. 2018 IMO.

I love this. Agreed 100%. Who gets the boot? Matt or Denny? Kyle and Carl will be there the rest of their careers

Congratulations to Daniel Suarez, who has impressed immensely from his first year in trucks straight through to this championship. I think he is an enormous talent with a great future. And I'd love to see him continue to progress into Cup, become a star, and also spur growth of Nascar fandom among Hispanics (as well as all other demographics).

Nascar would benefit by having a broader, more diverse fan base, and Daniel just maybe could be a big part of that. And possibly Bubba Wallace too.

Jones now has to prove himself in the big league. He won't be racing against poor truck teams
or Xfinity for that matter. I have a suspicion we are about to witness the birth of another great whiner. :D

Why not just congratulate Suarez on being a first-time champion rather than being a first-time foreign born champion? Doesn't matter to me where anyone is from. All that matters is how they conduct themselves.
I'm not sure if you are addressing me, but my post preceded yours, so I'll answer. First, I did congratulate Suarez on how he conducted his championship campaign and his talents as a racer. I like him a lot. Second, I answered your question in my post, stating my agreement with Nascar's goal of growing a fan base that is broader and more diverse. Nascar's current fan base is older and more Caucasian than just about any other sport, and the Drive For Diversity program is intended to alter that over time. Third, Suarez as an emerging star driver of Hispanic heritage may help draw more Hispanics to Nascar. That is one of the ways fandom works, as Daniel is well aware. Hispanics are 18% of the US population, but only 2% of Nascar fans, so there is obvious room to grow there. And Latin America has always been a hotbed of motor racing passion.

Do you feel that Nascar's diversity objectives are misguided or wrong?

Saw him make a last lap pass to beat Kyle at Michigan and was also at Dover when he dominated. He has a fan in me, boy can drive and will be around for a while.

I love this. Agreed 100%. Who gets the boot? Matt or Denny? Kyle and Carl will be there the rest of their careers

Matt retires IMO. Visser talks like Erik isn't even part of the team, really. Calls it a one year deal.

Why not just congratulate Suarez on being a first-time champion rather than being a first-time foreign born champion? Doesn't matter to me where anyone is from. All that matters is how they conduct themselves.

"First foreign born " champion does have a ring to it . Especially in a rich , white , male , American born sport . Maybe after there is a second minority born champion , I will get tired of it . Right now , I think it does matter .

Do you feel that Nascar's diversity objectives are misguided or wrong?
I don't know how that works but for the amount of money being spent it hasn't helped many drivers. Not sure about people getting into other jobs in Nascar.
For drivers, I think Nascar should sponsor a truck and an Xfinity car with no special
ties to the car or team. Just sponsor a driver.

Back
Top Bottom