Conn. senator wants Fox to pull plug on NRA race

With an ignorant request like that... How did this person become a senator?

These anti gun folks are going to continue to exploit the hell out of Sandy Hook Elementary. Sad but it's not shocking.

Good for him. No matter how many times gossage says it it is political

He is an excellent politician. Race should never have got this sponsor to begin with

I'm going to have to disagree with this. Honestly as long as they pay for the sponsorship, they can sponsor whatever race they want.

Honestly I'm kinda hoping a tampon or a feminine hygiene product sponsors a NASCAR race or team. To watch everyone fumbling around with that would be hilarious.

I understand Connecticut's sensitivity to an NRA sponsored race, but I don't think it should be yanked from the local Fox affiliate in that area. Anybody offended by the sponsorship should just speak with their remotes by watching something else, but those in that area that do want to see the race shouldn't be denied that privilege.

I don't think the NRA has much to do with the mind set of the psychos that walk into where ever it may be that week and start shooting people for no reason. Just my opinion.

Let's be very careful here and not let this become political talk. There is a similar thread in The Podium if you want to politicize it.

Personally, the NRA sponsorship is a business deal. The NRA did NOT pay for "enhanced" coverage from FOX, did not buy any advertising. And beyond the required 1 mention per hour, I doubt anyone will be offended.

This is a race.

Let's be very careful here and not let this become political talk. There is a similar thread in The Podium if you want to politicize it.

Personally, the NRA sponsorship is a business deal. The NRA did NOT pay for "enhanced" coverage from FOX, not buy any advertising. And beyond the required 1 mention per hour, I doubt anyone will be offended.

This is a race.
Agreed. It's a sponsor. It's not like watching a race sponsored by the NRA is going to make us all want to go get a gun.. plus I'm Canadian. Were not allowed guns here. LOL

Agreed. It's a sponsor. It's not like watching a race sponsored by the NRA is going to make us all want to go get a gun.. plus I'm Canadian. Were not allowed guns here. LOL

Ahh yes we are allowed guns here

Good for him. No matter how many times gossage says it it is political

Its a legitimate, legal, moral and ethical business deal. Period. Nothing more nothing less.

"With the NRA 500 drawing attention just for the name of the race, NASCAR will take a closer look at race sponsorships in the future, the sanctioning body said in a statement Thursday.

Tracks negotiate their own naming rights deals, and Texas Motor Speedway announced last month that the National Rifle Association would sponsor its Sprint Cup Series race, scheduled for Saturday night.

The sanctioning agreement tracks have with NASCAR states that "NASCAR reserves the right to approve or disapprove any advertising, sponsorship or similar agreement in connection with the event." NASCAR approved the sponsorship, and Texas Motor Speedway President Eddie Gossage said Thursday there has been no public outcry over the sponsorship. But NASCAR spokesman David Higdon released a statement that indicated the timing of a sponsorship and the perception of NASCAR will be used to determine whether to approve race sponsorships in the future. "The NRA's sponsorship of the event at Texas Motor Speedway fit within existing parameters that NASCAR affords tracks in securing partnerships," the NASCAR statement said. "However, this situation has made it clear that we need to take a closer look at our approval process moving forward, as current circumstances need to be factored in when making decisions."

This will greatly affect my view of Nascar. I am proud to be a faithful follower and love the fact that the National anthem and a prayer is said before every race. Political correctness is the demise of society as far as I am concerned. If you dont like something dont watch,buy or what ever. Leave me alone and I will do the same.

This will greatly affect my view of Nascar. I am proud to be a faithful follower and love the fact that the National anthem and a prayer is said before every race. Political correctness is the demise of society as far as I am concerned. If you dont like something dont watch,buy or what ever. Leave me alone and I will do the same.

you, i like you.

I am tired of these helicopter parents. the race sponsorship isn't hurting anyone. if you don't like it, then turn the channel. these helicopter parents only represent a few percentage of the population, yet they always get there way. why? because nobody stands up to shut them up. if it isnt what they want for their kids, the nobody else should get it either.

"With the NRA 500 drawing attention just for the name of the race, NASCAR will take a closer look at race sponsorships in the future, the sanctioning body said in a statement Thursday.

Tracks negotiate their own naming rights deals, and Texas Motor Speedway announced last month that the National Rifle Association would sponsor its Sprint Cup Series race, scheduled for Saturday night.

The sanctioning agreement tracks have with NASCAR states that "NASCAR reserves the right to approve or disapprove any advertising, sponsorship or similar agreement in connection with the event." NASCAR approved the sponsorship, and Texas Motor Speedway President Eddie Gossage said Thursday there has been no public outcry over the sponsorship. But NASCAR spokesman David Higdon released a statement that indicated the timing of a sponsorship and the perception of NASCAR will be used to determine whether to approve race sponsorships in the future. "The NRA's sponsorship of the event at Texas Motor Speedway fit within existing parameters that NASCAR affords tracks in securing partnerships," the NASCAR statement said. "However, this situation has made it clear that we need to take a closer look at our approval process moving forward, as current circumstances need to be factored in when making decisions."
Seeing how the NRA deal was made a month before the race.I think they would accept any sponsor.Just to get the buck.

Dumbest thing ever. Nascar needs to be careful here. The vast majority of fans are conservative and pro nra. I dont need a focus group or poll to tell me that. For a Senator to even bring this up makes me furious. I dont care if they call it the Tampax 500. When the Senator shells out his own money to sponsor the race he can call it what ever he likes. I dont care one way or the other and this crap does not belong in our beloved sport. So sick of the political correct BS.

Somebody should program his tv to where the only thing that comes on is the Texas race.

Somebody should program his tv to where the only thing that comes on is the Texas race.
Yep and are you faster than a redneck and swamp people and better yet 12 straight hours of honey booboo, that'll fry his ass.

Seeing how the NRA deal was made a month before the race.I think they would accept any sponsor.Just to get the buck.

ding ding ding ding we have a winner.

This race was unsponsored for the longest time, until like you said, a month ago the NRA swooped in. It would probably go unsponsored if it wasn't for the NRA.

The NRA sponsorship won't make me not watch tomorrow night's race, but I have to say that a Bruton track is perfect for such a sponsorship. Neither Bruton nor the NRA have ever met a dollar or a minute of publicity they didn't like.

Please, as TRL said, this is not the political side. Please take it to the podium.

Back
Top Bottom