Construction of US Grand Prix Halted

BERNIE!!!

A little more info:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slug=txf1usgrandprix

LONDON (AP) —Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone says the U.S. Grand Prix could be removed from the 2012 calendar because construction of the Texas race track was halted.

Ecclestone said Wednesday that a contract dispute with organizers must be settled by Dec. 7, when the 2012 calendar is officially ratified, for the race to go ahead.

Construction of the track in Austin was stopped Tuesday, with organizers saying the work will not resume until they have a contract from Formula One to stage the race next year.

However, Ecclestone says no contract has been issued because the organizers have not provided the proper letter of credit.

Asked if the race could be dropped unless the situation is resolved before the schedule is ratified in New Delhi on Dec. 7, Ecclestone said: “It will be, for sure, 100 percent.”

My theory is that Eccelstone has it in for the US of A. Based on previous comments about the US GP and the fact that F1 has made what has on the surface appears to be no effort to come back to the US since the Indy GP (which was a joke of a track.) I wouldn't be a bit surprised if ol' Bernie was looking for a reason to screw the Texas race promoters.

My suspicion is that behind closed doors Eccelstone is being pressured to get a race in the US by the manufacturers. I've heard it said (but don't remember where) that the sponsors would absolutely love to have F1 in the states again as it is a huge market and they can't understand why they aren't here every year as it is which is probably what brought on the NJ race.

My theory is that Eccelstone has it in for the US of A. Based on previous comments about the US GP and the fact that F1 has made what has on the surface appears to be no effort to come back to the US since the Indy GP (which was a joke of a track.) I wouldn't be a bit surprised if ol' Bernie was looking for a reason to screw the Texas race promoters.

My suspicion is that behind closed doors Eccelstone is being pressured to get a race in the US by the manufacturers. I've heard it said (but don't remember where) that the sponsors would absolutely love to have F1 in the states again as it is a huge market and they can't understand why they aren't here every year as it is which is probably what brought on the NJ race.

I could not agree more. Bernie is not to be trusted. I think the manufacturers want a race in the US, but I doubt it will happen as long as Bernie is at the helm. I wouldn't at all doubt that the NJ grand prix somehow comes to a halt as well.

I could not agree more. Bernie is not to be trusted. I think the manufacturers want a race in the US, but I doubt it will happen as long as Bernie is at the helm. I wouldn't at all doubt that the NJ grand prix somehow comes to a halt as well.

Exactly, that's why I said I'll believe the NJ race is happening when I'm actually standing there watching the cars go around the track. Until then it's just more wishful thinking to me.

Bernie has always wanted to race in NY. Jersey is close enough, I guess. Since he agreed to that deal, he is treating Texas like a red-headed step-child.

Bad Bernie! Bad Bernie!

I'd just like to one day attend a F1 event, right now it's not looking good :(

I think I heard them say on the radio that the guys in Texas are going to pay bernies fee so they can get things going? Anyone hear that?

I think I heard them say on the radio that the guys in Texas are going to pay bernies fee so they can get things going? Anyone hear that?

I heard that the financing is secure. We shall see if that pleases the Bernie.

WAIT

We're holding the SEASON FINALE?!

just great. At least they won't have to worry about it snowing that late in the year......

I think.

That said, the tires might be questionable. I think they wont run sub 50F air temp.

November 18th is NASCAR's season ending race in Homestead.

Which do you think will draw the most interest, coverage and viewers?

Not sure why everyone is getting their panties in a wad over this...This is in Austin - right? According to this handy little link:

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/History.aspx?location=USTX0057

Click on November and look at the 18th. The RECORD low is 26. The average is 48. Doesn't sound to me like snow is a regular thing in Austin that time of year.
never underestimate texas.

Remember when everybody said TMS's April date is weather safe?

Remember when they almost got tornado'd on one year, then the next year, it snowed on qualifying day?

Yea 400 miles between tracks is a long way, but this is texas. Almanacs are useless here.

November 18th is NASCAR's season ending race in Homestead.

Which do you think will draw the most interest, coverage and viewers?

Like F1 gives a hot flyin' frak about NASCAR...

I plan on being there - with my thermal underwear. I just hope that the track is not built in a Dry County like TMS!

Like F1 gives a hot flyin' frak about NASCAR...

I plan on being there - with my thermal underwear. I just hope that the track is not built in a Dry County like TMS!

Maybe I live too far north but that just sounds absurd to me. I don't bust out the thermal undies unless the predict HIGH is 26. To each his own I guess...

Maybe I live too far north but that just sounds absurd to me. I don't bust out the thermal undies unless the predict HIGH is 26. To each his own I guess...

I live in SoCal. My blood is thin! :D

And I can always remove them if I am too warm. Better that than shivering in a bleacher seat somewhere...

That's at least as cold as every USGP I ever attended at the Glen. I'd rather deal with 50 than 95+ in June when it was otiginally scheduled.

That's at least as cold as every USGP I ever attended at the Glen. I'd rather deal with 50 than 95+ in June when it was otiginally scheduled.
This is true. A June race with Austin's humidity, they'd almost need rain tires....

Back
Top Bottom