Cosworth seeks return to IndyCar

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
Make it happen.

Cosworth has built a long, established history across open-wheel racing for nearly a half century. But for 2014, a Cosworth engine isn’t on the Formula One grid, and for the seventh consecutive year isn’t in an IndyCar.

That could soon change.

In an exclusive interview with Cosworth Automotive CEO Hal Reisiger, an American who headed Cosworth’s U.S. companies and in the last year has advanced to be the head of the company in the U.K., plans are in the works for a return to at least one of the two championships – potentially both.

When asked by MotorSportsTalk whether IndyCar’s current 2.2L V6 turbocharged engine formula would portend a Cosworth return, Reisiger said it’s something they’re working on.

“We are committed to aligning ourselves with an OEM for an IndyCar engine program,” Reisiger said.

He confirmed he’ll have meetings next week on the possibility, and said it’s something they’re keenly interested in.

“I think that IndyCar wants it, the teams want it; they want another entrant other than the Chevy Illmor and the Honda and miss having the Lotus engine,” Reisiger said.

“We have set a target and a goal of finding an OEM engine partner for an IndyCar. It’s something that’s very high on the list of priorities, and we have the support of IndyCar ourselves in doing so.”

Full article: http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.co...-seeks-return-to-indycar-possible-one-for-f1/

chevy - n - honda need turbo competition.

wonder which oem they're talkin too ? starts w/ a T ? ha!

Back with Ford maybe?
Would love to see it, but doubt it. During the Randy Bernard era, the president of Ford Racing said they are happy with their current involvement in motorsports, which was NASCAR, NHRA and rally cars (which was paid for by Ford Europe). Since they're pulling out of the NHRA after this year, you have doubt they're going to IndyCar.

My money is on either Dodge / Mopar / new SRT brand or Toyota. I think Audi / Volkswagon would be a nice fit too, but they're probably a long shot.

Back
Top Bottom