Could NASCAR add a track the schedule they have never raced on before?

DanicaFreak

2021 Big Gator winner <Green Monster>
I wonder what the rules say.

It would be cool if every year they raced on a track they have never raced on. It could in the US or any country. It would be cool to see new tracks.

Maybe Id get to see NASCAR rain racing more lol.

Tracks have to apply to host races and pay 7-figure entry fees. NASCAR isn't going consider racing at any track that doesn't take those preliminary steps. There are also minimum safety, garage, amenity, and infrastructure standards. So if a track isn't interested, up to snuff, or can't pay to play, it ain't happening.

Tracks have to apply to host races and pay 7-figure entry fees. NASCAR isn't going consider racing at any track that doesn't take those preliminary steps. There are also minimum safety, garage, amenity, and infrastructure standards. So if a track isn't interested, up to snuff, or can't pay to play, it ain't happening.

Interesting about the 7-figure entry fee, I never knew about that

Interesting about the 7-figure entry fee, I never knew about that
That's been one of the issues for IndyCar this year. The tracks they run don't get as much money from the TV contract, and more from attendance. Since Texas wasn't allowed to have fans, they insisted IndyCar reduce the fee before they'd host the race.

I think the biggest issue would be tracks that meet the safety requirements

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Safety, pit box sizes, number of pit boxes, garage standards, hauler accessibility, number of seats (well, not this year), parking, roads in and out. There's a ton of reasons Cup racing is never going to show up at Bowman-Gray or South Boston again.

Safety, pit box sizes, number of pit boxes, garage standards, hauler accessibility, number of seats (well, not this year), parking, roads in and out. There's a ton of reasons Cup racing is never going to show up at Bowman-Gray or South Boston again.
Came here to say this. If NASCAR raced on a new track every season, oogles of money will have to be spent.

so if they have to pay nascar 7 figures to host a race, how does the track make any money?

so if they have to pay nascar 7 figures to host a race, how does the track make any money?
Depends on the series it's hosting. For NASCAR, TV money, ticket sales, and all those other goods and services the fans buy (camping, RV spots, souvenirs, food, luxury boxes, pit passes, reserved parking, etc.) Somewhere recently @aunty dive linked to SMI's annual statement for 2018. It showed a breakdown of income sources. I wish I could find it; it was very informative. I'd have never guesses they brought in almost twice as much from services as from ticket sales.

But as I noted earlier, a track hosting an Indy race gets far more from ticket sales and fan services that it does from TV rights. That's why tracks can afford to host a NASCAR race before an empty house - TV money covers most of the expenses. The same track may have an IndyCar race on the schedule but may have to cancel if they can't get butts in the seats. That's why no fans at the I500 is such a killer for Penske, and why IndyCar had to cut the purse in half - no fans, no income. They basically had to run it or some teams would have to refund so much sponsor money that they'd go under.

I'm curious as to who gets money from advertisers with signage (billboards) displayed at a track. It would seem like that would be a big boost to help out a track to host a race. Would also seem like advertisers wouldn't care where the event was held as long as they're being put on display. I'm sure the ordeal is complicated as to how money changes hands.

Back
Top Bottom